Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hello there,

I'v got a Pre 2 that shows no signs of signals of communication when i insert a SIM, the left upper
    corner is empty and if i take it out it doesn't say "no SIM CARD",
    I tried switching comm boards with a GSM pre plus and it acts the same,
    i used an activation bypass tool to be able to boot it.

please help me fix it, any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    run the original phones doctor with the original comboard in. That should alleviate the issue.
  3.    #3  
    i get up to a point where i see clouds and a circle (of thinking) cycling forever,
    i guess because it can't continue and if i want to bypass this and get to what's in the
    Picture, i use the first use bypass tool.
    i guess you tried a different SIM before switching comboard and you are sure your provider/carrier has the right gsm frequencies for your pre2.

if not try different sim card / carrier.

try cleaning the sim card itself and card slot on pre with a cloth, perhaps some of the electrical contacs are dusty.

run hardwaretest in webos:
    One possible reason for SIM "SOS-only"

search this forum
    I bet the problem is the modem firmware on your comm-board is corrupt and needs to be manually reflashed. I've seen this happen on CDMA pre's and I believe it goes the same with GSM pre's. (The empty upper-left corner is akin to the symptom of CDMA phones showing "Phone Offline" in the upper left.)

First opening the phone app and entering ##radio# [##72346#] as the instructions say to check your firmware state. (Note: This firmware check command might be different or not available on your phone)

Here's the webOS-Internals site on how to do the whole fix:
    ModemFW Flash - WebOS Internals

_
    Last edited by sq5; 04/02/2012 at 10:24 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Gizmo21 - I did try with different SIM cards and it's the same.
    sq5 - I'll look in to this flushing procedure but the ##radio# code isn't working for me (I have the GSM version).

I run the self test that in the device information preferences and the result
    was that the Modem didn't pass the test with an error code 100.
  7.    #7  
    I flashed the modem but nothing changed.

what does the error code 100 means?
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    I bet the problem is the modem firmware on your comm-board is corrupt and needs to be manually reflashed. I've seen this happen on CDMA pre's and I believe it goes the same with GSM pre's. (The empty upper-left corner is akin to the symptom of CDMA phones showing "Phone Offline" in the upper left.)

First opening the phone app and entering ##radio# [##72346#] as the instructions say to check your firmware state. (Note: This firmware check command might be different or not available on your phone)

Here's the webOS-Internals site on how to do the whole fix:
    ModemFW Flash - WebOS Internals

_
    No, this kind of behaviour is not usually due to corrupt modem firmware.
    Last edited by GuyFromNam; 05/06/2012 at 03:27 PM.
    Try flashing several times just to be sure. Also, try flashing an older firmware version from a previous doctor and flash that, then try flashing to the newest version again. It would help if you could copy and paste the entire contents of your terminal window here after you've tried flashing.

Another possibility is that one the ribbon flex cables inside the phone could be damaged or partially disconnected, or that the modem hardware has simply failed.
  10.    #10  
    I will try flashing againg and having the log copied here.
    I'f i l'd knew which hardware part is the modem I could check/replace it.
    Probably not modem firmware corruption. This would simply return a Phone Offline message.
    Disassemble and check the connectors are stuck correctly to the comm board. That's the board behind the keyboard.
    My guess is either one of the connectors is loose, or the sim card slot is damaged.

PS> If you don't know what part the modem is, you shouldn't take them apart to begin with.
    Last edited by GuyFromNam; 05/06/2012 at 03:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Probably not modem firmware corruption. This would simply return a Phone Offline message.
    Disassemble and check the connectors are stuck correctly to the comm board. That's the board behind the keyboard.
    My guess is either one of the connectors is loose, or the sim card slot is damaged.

PS> If you don't know what part the modem is, you shouldn't take them apart to begin with.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the "Phone Offline" message only appears on problematic CDMA phones, whereas GSM phones show a different symptom like the OP's.

I agree that it may be a hardware issue as well, especially if the OP has already re-flashed to no avail.
    Quote Originally Posted by bero View Post
    I will try flashing againg and having the log copied here.
    I'f i l'd knew which hardware part is the modem I could check/replace it.
    You could mostly follow the instructions on the webOS-Internals Sprint FrankenPre2 page for removing the modem (ie: "comm board").

Fyi, the modem is the part surrounded by the lower 4 screws in step 3:

Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals

Also shown being held up here in step 11:

Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals

If your issue turns out not to be the comm-board/modem itself, but rather the cables, note that one of the ribbon cables connected to the comm board also plugs into to the phone's mainboard on its other end, which is deeper inside the phone and not dealt with in the instructions above. In short, to get there, you have to separate the whole mirror finish backplate from the front part of the phone as well. I don't recommend delving that far unless you really do your homework and feel comfortable with it first.
    Last edited by sq5; 04/04/2012 at 08:53 AM.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the "Phone Offline" message only appears on problematic CDMA phones, whereas GSM phones show a different symptom like the OP's.

I agree that it may be a hardware issue as well, especially if the OP has already re-flashed to no avail.
    Yes, you're wrong.
    Last edited by GuyFromNam; 05/06/2012 at 03:24 PM.
    Yes, you're wrong.
    So...tell me what you REALLY think.
    You're really wrong....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  17.    #17  

10x for your advise but no luck in that...
    I changed back to the original comm board (if the modem is a part of the comm board, then i know where it is)
    but it didn't change anything, I did make sure that the connectors r in place and even sprayed some electronic
    cleaning Spray, the result is the same, no signal sign or sim indicator of some sort.

now for deep Disassembling...
    Well, I do know a bit about it (considering it was me who figured out it could be used for offline issues).
    Not too much though, I'm no expert.
    Last edited by GuyFromNam; 05/06/2012 at 03:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    You're really wrong....
    Har Har. With friends like these, who needs enemies!
    Last edited by sq5; 04/05/2012 at 11:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bero View Post
    10x for your advise but no luck in that...
    I changed back to the original comm board (if the modem is a part of the comm board, then i know where it is)
    but it didn't change anything, I did make sure that the connectors r in place and even sprayed some electronic
    cleaning Spray, the result is the same, no signal sign or sim indicator of some sort.

now for deep Disassembling...
    Yeah it looks like you're in for some more disassembly. After you've removed the comm board you want to go further and remove the chrome backplate/slider assembly. It's held on by four tiny Philips screws. You can get to them easier by sliding the slider about half way. Once you lift that out you can check the connections to the mainboard or replace the slider assembly with another to try different ribbon cables altogether.

Btw, you are correct, the modem is in fact part of the comm board.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast