Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DJ Nativus
  • 1 Post By DJ Nativus
  1.    #1  
    Hello everyone,

First, I want to say that I appreciate all the amazing hard work of everyone on here. I try to ask as few questions as possible. I make it a point to search vigorously and try as much as possible because I've found that for the most part the answers are here.

That being said, I'm at a loss. I've built a couple of successful Sprint Pre2's via the perfect instructions on WebOS-Internals, but this one is killing me. I have moved on to my Veer, but I wanted to turn my mom's OG Sprint Pre into a glorious Sprint Pre2. The comms board donor(Sprint Pre) is totally activated and fully functional. The FrankenPre2 shell is of the unlocked GSM variety. I have two computers. The one I am meta-building on is only running ubuntu. I've followed the steps approximately 10 times. Each time the Doctor runs perfectly and without a hitch. But each time, the Sprint Pre2 will not connect to the data network.

I have tried the scripts for both 2.1.0 and 2.2.4 several times and get the same results. After it fails to connect I rebuild the OG Pre and 1.4.5 Doctor it and it activates and connects to network perfectly.

So, I think to myself... Maybe I'm doing something wrong in the creation of my meta-doctor. So I decided to just make a Sprint Pre running webOS 2.1.0. Once again the OG Pre pulls through and connects to data and all that.

Next I decided to try a different unlocked Pre2 as I had one lying around. It had a few bumps on it, but It definitely used to work so why not give it a shot. Same problem.

I'm really at a loss with this and if anyone here has some insight, I would greatly appreciate it.

Once again, thanks go out to all the awesome people in the webOS family.
    Last edited by jonas916; 03/25/2012 at 11:23 PM. Reason: <---This idiot put unlock in the title when it should have been unlocked.
    After connecting it to the Pre- and doctoring it to 1.4.5 and letting it activate, have you moved it back to the Pre 2 and see if it activates? That was my issue. If you could, with your frankenpre 2, put in the following code: ##72346# and see if it shows a version for the internal radio.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Hey DJ, thanks for the input. I have read your thread from start to finish lol. I have gone back and fourth after activating the OG Pre and connecting to data. I also report an internal radio on both Pre2's after doctoring.

Congrats on getting yours working! It's an amazing phone.
    Yesh... just make sure to doctor with 2.1 not 2.4... you'll be disappointed in 2.4 as I was. And helping others is the least i can do ^^
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Hi jonas, I helped DJ out in his other thread so maybe I can help you out too. Hopefully others will chime in as well. You definitely seem to have a more unusual problem.

For starters, keep trying to eliminate variables. You seem to have already done some homework and also firmly established that this problem occurs particularly when your comm board is in a GSM Pre2 body and metadoctored, which gives a direction to look in.

Questions: What are the exact script names you ran? What Sprint PRL version do you have on your comm-board (check in Device Info)? Are the custom built doctor file(s) you're using here the exact same ones as what you ran successfully before on your other frankenpre2 builds?

To try and start eliminating metadoctor issues, I would recommend you delete at least everything in the "download" and "build" folders within your metadoctor folder, and re-run your desired script again (meta-sprint-franken-unlocked-pre2-2.1.0 or meta-sprint-franken-unlocked-pre2-2.2.4). Even better, you could delete the ENTIRE metadoctor folder, and redownload it again from scratch first.

If you know Sprint's MSL (Master Subsidy Lock) code number of that comm-board, it would be good to have that in case you need it.

If you still have the working Pre- assembled, dial ##DATA# (##3282#) in the phone app and copy down all the info from there to compare against the frankenpre2 when you rebuild and check the same settings from there.

One last bit of brainstorming is to dial ##EVDO# (##3836#) on the frankenpre2 and try a different mode to see if data happens to kick in with any of them.
    Last edited by sq5; 03/25/2012 at 11:25 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks sq5. I do have the MSL handy. I'm about to try to do another meta. I took your advice and ran with it. Not only did I delete the meta-doctor file, but I went as far as installing a fresh version of ubuntu 11.04 from a newly created bootable flash drive. I'm re-installing the SDK and novacom as well as the meta-doctor program. Hopefully this will take care of it. I definitely appreciate the responses guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonas916 View Post
    Thanks sq5. I do have the MSL handy. I'm about to try to do another meta. I took your advice and ran with it. Not only did I delete the meta-doctor file, but I went as far as installing a fresh version of ubuntu 11.04 from a newly created bootable flash drive. I'm re-installing the SDK and novacom as well as the meta-doctor program. Hopefully this will take care of it. I definitely appreciate the responses guys.
    Great, and you can use Ubuntu 10.04, even better yet, but 11.04 should be fine if it has worked well for your metadoctorings before.

Stick with this and you should nail it. It feels like a doctoring issue so far and a not a hardware problem.
  8.    #8  
    ./scripts/meta-sprint-franken-unlocked-pre2-2.2.4 and ./scripts/meta-sprint-franken-unlocked-pre2-2.1.0 are the scripts I've run. The other times I've successfully frankenpre'd I used the good ol' natty, but I'll keep 10.04 in mind in case I fail again.

Crossing my fingers. I just reviewed all of the webos-internals setup instructions and will be running the script in T minus 10-9-8-7-6... :trolldad:
  9.    #9  
    It just rebooted. Doctor ran without a hitch. Still no data. I read in DJ's thread that the full Terminal session might aid in diagnosing this problem. So here it is. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    It just rebooted. Doctor ran without a hitch. Still no data. I read in DJ's thread that the full Terminal session might aid in diagnosing this problem. So here it is. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for the upload. It looks like that isn't the whole log (probably because the terminal window is sometimes set to cut off after so many lines by default), but from what i see there's nothing glaring that would point to your issue.

Another idea to add to the list if you can do it...

When running webOS 2, your carrier data settings are stored in a text file on your phone called "/etc/carrierdb/carrierdb.json" (referenced here: Carrier Configuration - WebOS Internals). The idea would be to copy that file from your working Pre- running webOS 2, and place it on frankenpre2 when that it reassembled.

The steps would go like this:

-Assemble the pre- and have it up and running with webOS 2
    -plug in the pre- via USB, tap just charge, and then run novaterm to access the phone's linux command line
    -when connected to the pre- with novaterm, type "cp /etc/carrierdb/carrierdb.json /media/internal/" (no quotes)
    -now put the phone into USB Drive mode and copy that carrierdb.json file to your PC desktop.
    (the remaining steps are pretty much the reverse)
    -reassemble the frankenpre2 and have it up and running webOS 2
    -plug in the frankenpre2 via USB, and tap USB Drive mode
    -copy the carrierdb.json file from your PC's desktop onto the frankenpre2's USB drive
    -get out of USB Drive mode, and then run novaterm to access the frankenpre2's linux command line
    -when connected with novaterm, type "cp /media/internal/carrierdb.json /etc/carrierdb/" (no quotes)
    -immediately reboot the frankenpre2 by pressing orange+sym+r and cross your fingers
  11.    #11  
    Thanks sq5! I'll give that a shot as soon as I get home from work. Stupid work always getting in the way of playing with my phones.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2
  12.    #12  
    So, I have moved the carrierdb.json file over and for a moment I had EV in the corner. I went to put the phone in devmode and it rebooted. EV gone. ****. I then rebuilt the og pre and did the ##DATA# and copied literally all of the data down. I then rebuilt the pre2 and checked ##DATA# against my newly copied data from the og pre. Everything is identical. I'm back at work now, running on very little sleep. Thanks again for all the help. I'll get back at it tonight. Lol
    So, I have moved the carrierdb.json file over and for a moment I had EV in the corner. I went to put the phone in devmode and it rebooted. EV gone. ****. I then rebuilt the og pre and did the ##DATA# and copied literally all of the data down. I then rebuilt the pre2 and checked ##DATA# against my newly copied data from the og pre. Everything is identical. I'm back at work now, running on very little sleep. Thanks again for all the help. I'll get back at it tonight. Lol
    Great work so far. I'm glad there was at least a glimmer of progress! Don't wear yourself out of course.

Just fyi, the meta-doctor sets devmode to enabled automatically so you shouldn't need to try and enable it again. It must have already been enabled too since that is what allowed you to access the linux command line on the phone with novaterm.

The next time you complete the step that brought the Ev up, stop right there to see if it stays for any amount of time. If it does, then next try bringing up a web page to see if any data actually flows. If you do something that makes the Ev disappear, make a note of exactly what it was.
    Last edited by sq5; 03/27/2012 at 08:41 PM.
  14.    #14  
    Ok, I guess there has been some progress. I've found that if I power it down while on the touchstone and let the touchstone power it up. sometimes I get EV. It happens every third or fourth time. I don't know if that's really progress or what. It will let me sign in to my palm profile, but it hangs up on the restore process. I intend to keep working on this until it works, so back to the drawing board I suppose.
    try also forcing evdo-only mode in the ##3836# menu if you haven't already.

this is certainly a bit of a head-scratcher.
    Did you fix this? I am having the same problem on a sprint franken pre2 - from verizon.
    I fixed it. I had Sprint do a reset, which meant I needed to reactivate the board in the old phone, and then I was able to put it into the pre 2 with no data problems. Something must have been messed up with the activation data.