1.    #1  
    I recently wired up my motorcycle with a 12 volt power outlet (standard cigarette lighter style) because I wanted to be able to charge my Pre 2 on the go.

Using a stock Palm outlet to USB adapter (which works just fine in my car) when I plug the cord into my Pre the "Charging" notification displays very quickly, and then the phone starts to freak out flashing the charging notification over and over again almost so fast that it isn't readable. During this time the phone becomes unresponsive and even when unplugged the flashing continues for about a minute or two.

I've double checked all my wiring and just can't figure out what would cause the phone to react this way.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Hans
    I think that Your 12V to 5V converter is having a too low currency rating.
    For Palm you should have a converter rated at 5V with 1000mA at least.

You should check:
    * whether the 12V to 5V converter is actually getting 12V (or a voltage as given in the input rating of the converter)
    * whether the output rating of the converter is given with 1000mA or more
    * whether the output voltage is actually 5V

Regards Ralf
    Last edited by Keimix; 03/19/2012 at 09:24 AM.
    Given that you have the Palm charger (assuming it IS the one for the Pre, not an older one) I'd say it isn't getting consistent 12v input power. What kind of electrical system does the bike have? I'm not at all familiar with them, but I figured the high end bikes had power ports factory installed. I mean, the are practically luxury vehicles anymore.
  4.    #4  
    The input to the adapter ranges from 12.25 to 13.7 volts, I haven't checked the output volts or the mA's yet, as I need to research USB standards to figure out the plug wiring.

I have an 02 Honda Shadow....a year later and it would have had a wired in power outlet I believe.

I wired in the outlet directly to the battery with an in line fuse and attached to a relay to make sure I don't drain the battery when the bike is off.

Yes the adapter is designed for the pre, and it works fine in my car...

Thanks for the suggestions.

Hans
    Did you measure it after you had plugged in the phone? I can't imagine it's putting enough load to drop the voltage to under 12v though. Maybe the power just isn't 'clean' enough. Does seem very odd though.
  6.    #6  
    I didn't measure it under a load as I didn't want to leave the phone plugged in to it. Tonight will try to charge an old palm pre with it, and might even pull out a treo to see what happens.

thinking about it more, perhaps the battery in the bike needs to be charged.

I'll keep the forum posted.

Hans
    Yes.. it could be voltage spikes from the bike alternator.. if the battery is weak these may not be suppressed properly.

Also when using relays with solid state equipment it is worth safeguarding the equipment by fitting a diode across the relay coil to prevent HV voltage spikes from the relay itself zapping the chips!

Hope this helps!

8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Also when using relays with solid state equipment it is worth safeguarding the equipment by fitting a diode across the relay coil to prevent HV voltage spikes from the relay itself zapping the chips!
    Good advice. My understanding is that the high voltage generated from the relay stays on the coil side and would be absorbed and disipated by the diodes that already exist on the bike. Are you suggesting I should install a localized diode at the relay location?

Thanks,

Hans
    True.. my understanding is that the bike alternator uses it's own diodes to rectify the AC to DC current yes.. and that the battery (in good condition) can also act as a smoothing choke.

Yes, I was suggesting you try also fitting a small line diode across the coil of the extra relay you fitted to make sure you don't drain the battery!

I just thought also... it wouldn't be the electronic ignition system interferring by any chance, could it?
    Is that suppressed?

10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    True.. my understanding is that the bike alternator uses it's own diodes to rectify the AC to DC current yes.. and that the battery (in good condition) can also act as a smoothing choke.

Yes, I was suggesting you try also fitting a small line diode across the coil of the extra relay you fitted to make sure you don't drain the battery!

I just thought also... it wouldn't be the electronic ignition system interferring by any chance, could it?
    Is that suppressed?

When I get home tonight I have a lot of testing to do. Considering that this circuit is attached directly to the battery with the only psudo connection to the rest of the bike's wiring being the coil of the relay hooked to the headlight wire I don't know how the ignition system would be affecting it, but at the same time I have nothing soild to go on as to why this isn't charging my phone either.....so who knows.

I'll let you know what I figure out.

Hans
    Quote Originally Posted by hans109h View Post
    When I get home tonight I have a lot of testing to do. Considering that this circuit is attached directly to the battery with the only psudo connection to the rest of the bike's wiring being the coil of the relay hooked to the headlight wire I don't know how the ignition system would be affecting it, but at the same time I have nothing soild to go on as to why this isn't charging my phone either.....so who knows.

I'll let you know what I figure out.

Hans

I have a small Honda and they have some 'clever' wiring.. such as being able so kick start with a totally flat battery etc.. the internal circuits may not be quite as 'simple' as we think!

Does the phone charge correctly when the bike engine is not running.. ie. straight off the battery?

Good luck anyway!

12.    #12  
    Measured, the voltage at the outlet, 12.35 to 13.9 depending on if the bike was off. Put the adapter in and measured the voltage, solid 5.1 volts no matter if the bike was on or off.

Plug the phone in and the phone goes bizerk again.

I decided to remove the relay and direct wire the positive so I could see if anything improved without any other power being drawn to other components of the bike, same results as above, same voltages.

I decided I would hook the outlet directly to the battery, so positive to positive and negative to negative, same voltages, and it charged the phone just fine. So even with the bike off there is something in the wiring not allowing my phone to charge. (or a 12v strobe light to be powered).

I think at this point I need to take this conversation over to the shadow forum...

Thanks for the suggestions.

Hans
  13.    #13  
    UPDATE:

Found cause: Partially blow fuse, fuse blew in a way that was still slightly connected, enough to show voltage but not to supply amperage.

At least that's all it was. I guess Pre's show sign of charging at any voltage change, not battery current.

Hans