Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    I have an activated Sprint Pre- and an unlocked Verizon Pre 2 and I want to move the commboard and have a working Pre 2 on the Sprint network... nothing new. I tried this before and ruined both my Pre 2 and my Pre-. I don't want to do this again. (apparently I ruined one of the ribbon cables.

There are so many tutorials and articles and posts saying there are so many ways to do things and some ways will break your phone and others will make life so much easier.

I need a clear path to go. Apparently the Linux stuff is not necessary and it sounds like a huge bother. I have read people using the Verizon Pre 2 webos doctor just fine. The sprint apps are not necessary to me so could I just do this? I went to download it anyways at WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals but then I saw there was a webos doctor for unlocked pre2s... do I do that one instead?

Please help me :< I don't want to botch this up. Then there is the whole deal with the palm profile and backing that up then deleting it. Is that necessary to do? I already backed up my phone's USB drive and that's all I really care about saving. I just want a working Pre 2 :<
    As a disclaimer, I wouldn't write-off the Linux stuff too quick, as its isnt as hard as it sounds. It is definitly there for a reason and will give you the best setup with the least chance for any software gremlins down the road.

Having said that, you may be able to get away with using one of the stock doctors which for some folks was 'good enough', so it can't hurt too much if you wanna try. In your case, I would try going with a Verizon Pre2 doctor, which is tailored to a setup closer to yours, over the "unlocked" version. More specifically, I suggest you actually get the 2.1.0 version (not 2.2.4). After doctoring your phone to 2.1.0, let it update on its own to 2.2.4 over-the-air (OTA) using the system updates app. This will give you the best possible results if not using the metadoctor.

As far as your palm profile, most people never do a thing with it and everything converts just fine. Given your goals, I would just leave it be in your case as well. What I would suggest though is that if you reassemble your pre- with the leftover Verizon comm board to use as a WiFi device, make sure to doctor it right away to erase it so that you don't accidentally start it up and it then tries to back up the 1.4.5 version of your profile over your new 2.x version.
    Last edited by sq5; 03/17/2012 at 06:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    I suggest you actually get the 2.1.0 version (not 2.2.4). After doctoring your phone to 2.1.0, let it update on its own to 2.2.4 over-the-air (OTA) using the system updates app. This will give you the best possible results if not using the metadoctor.
    I'm curious, why do you suggest this vs going right to 2.2.4? I mean, what you describe is exactly what I did but that's because I was gun-shy about 2.2.4 initially based on some of the complaints people had posted about 2.2.4.

Eventually I decided to let the phone update and I haven't had any problems with 2.2.4, but I was thinking if I ever re-doctored I'm probably just built a 2.2.4 meta vs the 2.1 metadoctor I have now. Is there a reason not to do this?
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post
    I'm curious, why do you suggest this vs going right to 2.2.4? I mean, what you describe is exactly what I did but that's because I was gun-shy about 2.2.4 initially based on some of the complaints people had posted about 2.2.4.

Eventually I decided to let the phone update and I haven't had any problems with 2.2.4, but I was thinking if I ever re-doctored I'm probably just built a 2.2.4 meta vs the 2.1 metadoctor I have now. Is there a reason not to do this?
    If you're using the metadoctor, you can certainly build a 2.2.4 version directly and use that if you like. I think there were some kinks in the 2.2.4 meta when it first came out but I would imagine they've been ironed out now. I haven't used it recently myself so I can't vouch for it of course.

The difference with my recommendation to the OP is that the OP does not want to use the metadoctor at all, but rather give it a go using one of the stock doctors. In THAT case, I recommended using a 2.1 doctor and then give the phone an opportunity to update itself again to sort-of help "smooth out" the initial install done with a doctor not specifically meant for his phone.
  5.    #5  
    Actually I do have an old iBook I may use instead of messing with Ubuntu, especially since it has some weird issues with Pre 2s according to the guide and needs different drivers. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Also I did use Save/Restore and turned off backups and let Palm delete the data to keep any complications from happening.
  6.    #6  
    Update! Verizon doctor didn't work and I can't get md5sum thing to install on my Mac after installing X11 tools and MacPorts. I then tried the Unlocked one and it worked fine... then my phone asks to be activated so I guess that didn't work afterall :<

Help D:
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nativus View Post
    Update! Verizon doctor didn't work and I can't get md5sum thing to install on my Mac after installing X11 tools and MacPorts. I then tried the Unlocked one and it worked fine... then my phone asks to be activated so I guess that didn't work afterall :<

Help D:
    Trying to get a mac to run the metadoctor properly has only been tried by a handful of people so you won't get much input on that. It does look like someone wrote a guide for it if you hadn't already seen it.

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...tep-guide.html

(Download the txt file attached to the first post and then change the .txt to .html to make it viewable.)

Honestly I think its more of a bother trying to get the mac set up just right than it is to just install a virtual machine someplace and throw ubuntu on it. The guide in the thread above might answer your question quickly though.
  8.    #8  
    So I'm trying with Ubuntu 11.10 and I keep getting error messages whenever I run a command line from the SDK install directions or the metadoctor instructions. I'm getting frustrated and not sure why I keep getting errors for programs having dependencies but they won't download them and says to run apt-get install -f or something like that. I really wish HP allowed distribution of jar files cause it'd be a lot easier to just run one that someone else created. At least I'm further along than last time...

Errors I get when I run 'sudo apt-get install -f'
    After this operation, 3,432 kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
    Can't exec "locale": No such file or directory at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 16.
    Use of uninitialized value $Debconf::Encoding::charmap in scalar chomp at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 17.
    Preconfiguring packages ...
    dpkg: warning: 'ldconfig' not found in PATH or not executable.
    dpkg: error: 1 expected program not found in PATH or not executable.
    Note: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and /sbin.
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
    Last edited by DJ Nativus; 03/19/2012 at 03:25 PM.
    I've heard of some people getting weird errors using 11.10 before. 10.04 has never had a problem with the metadoctor as far as I know.

Stepping back though, how exactly did the stock Verizon Pre 2 doctor fail to run? Also, Did you ever try running the stock "unlocked" Pre2 doctor?

*Side note: I know that the whole metadoctor process can seem unneccesarily complicated. The reason why everyone has to build the custom doctors on their own using the scripts has to do with the fact that webOS wasn't open source yet for those phone versions, so you're not allowed to modify the doctors and then distribute the modified versions. Which means that webos-internals couldn't just build each of the custom doctors once and post them online for everyone to download. The way around it was to have a system where each person could instead create custom doctors themselves, in a somewhat automated process. Fortunately, future versions of webOS won't be restricted in what you can do with them.
    So I'm trying with Ubuntu 11.10 and I keep getting error messages whenever I run a command line from the SDK install directions or the metadoctor instructions. I'm getting frustrated and not sure why I keep getting errors for programs having dependencies but they won't download them and says to run apt-get install -f or something like that. I really wish HP allowed distribution of jar files cause it'd be a lot easier to just run one that someone else created. At least I'm further along than last time...

Errors I get when I run 'sudo apt-get install -f'
    After this operation, 3,432 kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
    Can't exec "locale": No such file or directory at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 16.
    Use of uninitialized value $Debconf::Encoding::charmap in scalar chomp at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 17.
    Preconfiguring packages ...
    dpkg: warning: 'ldconfig' not found in PATH or not executable.
    dpkg: error: 1 expected program not found in PATH or not executable.
    Note: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and /sbin.
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
    Why are you running 11.10?

HP (and Palm before it) officially support up to version 10.04 for the SDK and Novacom drivers. WebOS Internals recommends using version 11.04 on the MetaDoctor wiki page.

Something is messed up with your Ubuntu install. It's probably fixable, but since it's a temporary "I Just Want To Build A WebOS Doctor" environment and you're not a Linux expert, it's easier to just start over. Since you're starting over anyway, use a supported version.
  11.    #11  
    Dangit! I had someone who knew a little bit about Linux build this for me at work and now it still boots asking for activation. I was a little bit confused on what script to use, so I chose the Franken Pre 2 unlocked script (as opposed to the franken pre 2 verizon script).

Activation Error

You may need to activate your phone
    by going to .

You'll need your HEX MEID:
    blahblah
    When you are sure that you have
    activated your phone, try again

Should I have used the frankenpre verizon script? I was using an unlocked phone though.
    Dangit! I had someone who knew a little bit about Linux build this for me at work and now it still boots asking for activation. I was a little bit confused on what script to use, so I chose the Franken Pre 2 unlocked script (as opposed to the franken pre 2 verizon script).

Activation Error

You may need to activate your phone
    by going to .

You'll need your HEX MEID:
    blahblah
    When you are sure that you have
    activated your phone, try again

Should I have used the frankenpre verizon script? I was using an unlocked phone though.
    If the "donor" pre2 phone was a Verizon phone then yes, you definitely need to use the frankenpre verizon script. The 'unlocked' frankenpre script is only for GSM based phones (Anytime you see things like "unlocked", "at&t" / "att", "wr", or "wor", think GSM phone).

Should be easy for your work colleague to build the right one this time around.

At least you're making progress!
    Last edited by sq5; 03/21/2012 at 08:21 AM.
  13.    #13  
    It's frustrating how so many people don't have an issue with this at all and I'm just running into issue after issue.

Now the Verizon Franken Pre 2 webOS doctor that I built states my device is not compatible with that version of webOS doctor.

I realized I didn't use the right script according to the Franken pre update page which says to use ./scripts/meta-sprint-franken-unlocked-pre2-2.1.0. So I'm trying that now...

I did try calling Sprint and having them activate my phone but they couldn't and they told me to call Palm and they wanted to charge me $14.95 to walk me through a hard reset. So... hope this third script works.
  14.    #14  
    Running the 2.1 unlocked sprint franken pre script gives an error saying it's unable to reset my phone despite the arrow pointing at the chip displaying on it... reverting back to unlocked 2.4 franken pre 2 script and I guess I'll go back to troubleshooting it from that point..
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    Trying to get a mac to run the metadoctor properly has only been tried by a handful of people so you won't get much input on that.
    The meta-doctor is developed on a mac. It runs perfectly on such. Prerequisites are listed on the wiki page.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The meta-doctor is developed on a mac. It runs perfectly on such. Prerequisites are listed on the wiki page.

-- Rod
    Interesting, didn't realize that. Thanks for the correction Rod.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    I couldn't even get MacPorts installed and the wiki didn't have instructions on it so I was dead in the water there...

Also, any help on this would be great.
    I couldn't even get MacPorts installed and the wiki didn't have instructions on it so I was dead in the water there...

Also, any help on this would be great.
    Replied to your PM.
  19.    #19  
    Here are some photos which may show something I'm doing obviously wrong. I'd also like verified that the communication board I removed is indeed an unlocked phone and not a verizon phone:

Activation Error

Phone Hardware
    The model # will tell you what it is, and it's clearly visible under the battery on the left hand side, looking into the compartment. The Pre2 GSM phone for North American is the P102UNA

I too was surprised that the comm board and bezel looked so much like my Sprint Pre-. I was expecting the copper etching to be much more different, being under the impression that this was part of the antenna. Looking at both of yours though, the difference is still pretty evident.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast