Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    I decided that I've finally have had enough with Sprint. The reasons are my aversion to CDMA and lately what appears to be crappy data performance in the Tampa area. This last one apparently since the launch of 4G. I decided that I would un-Frankenstein my Pre2 back to using the USA GSM comm board, and try the contract-free lifestyle for a while.

To do this I needed to find a provider. I looked at the obvious choices (ATT, T-Mobile), but felt they did not have a plan that would allow me this option. ATT required a 2-yr agreement if I wanted to take advantage of my employer's discount (which at 25% is nothing to sneeze at) regardless of my use of an unsubsidized phone. T-Mobile also wanted a contract, and no employer's discount.

So the search moved to the MVNO's. I tried Simple Mobile first. Works good. The EDGE speed doesn't bother me that much. I can still listen to Pandora in the car and that's all I care about. I'm not into video streaming, the screen is too little anyway. The lack of short codes did rub me the wrong way as it impaired my use of Google Calendar functions.

As of today I'm on Straight Talk, ported my number twice with no problems. Short codes work and the 3G is nice. I will have to see if I care more about battery life or data speed, I suspect the former, for 'everyday' use, and fire up 3G for those rare situations where freeTether comes in handy.

Let's see how long this ride will go.. hopefully long enough till an openWebOS device shows up.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro1 View Post
    I decided that I've finally have had enough with Sprint. The reasons are my aversion to CDMA and lately what appears to be crappy data performance in the Tampa area. This last one apparently since the launch of 4G. I decided that I would un-Frankenstein my Pre2 back to using the USA GSM comm board, and try the contract-free lifestyle for a while.

To do this I needed to find a provider. I looked at the obvious choices (ATT, T-Mobile), but felt they did not have a plan that would allow me this option. ATT required a 2-yr agreement if I wanted to take advantage of my employer's discount (which at 25% is nothing to sneeze at) regardless of my use of an unsubsidized phone. T-Mobile also wanted a contract, and no employer's discount.

So the search moved to the MVNO's. I tried Simple Mobile first. Works good. The EDGE speed doesn't bother me that much. I can still listen to Pandora in the car and that's all I care about. I'm not into video streaming, the screen is too little anyway. The lack of short codes did rub me the wrong way as it impaired my use of Google Calendar functions.

As of today I'm on Straight Talk, ported my number twice with no problems. Short codes work and the 3G is nice. I will have to see if I care more about battery life or data speed, I suspect the former, for 'everyday' use, and fire up 3G for those rare situations where freeTether comes in handy.

Let's see how long this ride will go.. hopefully long enough till an openWebOS device shows up.
    Good luck,
    I ordered a sim from Straight Talk. I need to move out from Sprint. I tried T Mo EDGE on Pre3 and Simple on Pre2.

How did you port the number ? Did you order sim and plan first with a number to use ? or you waited for the transfer to happen ?
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Good luck,
    I ordered a sim from Straight Talk. I need to move out from Sprint. I tried T Mo EDGE on Pre3 and Simple on Pre2.

How did you port the number ? Did you order sim and plan first with a number to use ? or you waited for the transfer to happen ?
    Ordered the SIM online with a 1-month PIN, waited a couple of days for it to come in the mail and then called the number for activations and told them I wanted to port a number in when they answered the phone. You need to have the account number, password/pin and billing address info to initiate a port. It took about an hour or so both times, I picked a time where I expected not to need my phone (like a day off) to avoid the impact of possible "downtime".

(Posted from a customer waiting room while tethered)
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    Instead of ordering a SIM separately one could simply select one of their two free phone options and then use that SIM, correct? Doing it that way you'll have a working Pre2 right up until the number switches, and with your new StraightTalk phone working, pull the SIM and put it in the Pre2.
    I have a Pre 3 I'm itching to use. I was wondering what are your data speeds like on Straight Talk?
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelkriss View Post
    I have a Pre 3 I'm itching to use. I was wondering what are your data speeds like on Straight Talk?
    Just got my Pre3 activated with ST. The porting from Simple Mobile was a pain (took 6 hours) but I can report that the speeds are definitely there. In fact, the H+ icon is pegged w/ 4 full bars at my office. The reason I mention this is because reception is so bad we had to install a GSM booster antenna on the roof. With SM, I'd be in and out of Edge. Lovin' it so far.
    If you disagree with me, please keep it civil.
    Should I disagree with you, you shall hear Ezekiel 25:17
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post
    Instead of ordering a SIM separately one could simply select one of their two free phone options and then use that SIM, correct? Doing it that way you'll have a working Pre2 right up until the number switches, and with your new StraightTalk phone working, pull the SIM and put it in the Pre2.
    After you activate and begin the porting of the number, your current SIM should continue work all the way to the point until it doesn't work anymore, at which point it'll be because the number has moved. At that point you swap the SIMs and you're good to go. If you time it right -meaning that you're not moving around too much-- you can setup a call forwarding from your number to (say) google voice to catch any stragglers. SMSs might get lost, but hey, there's only so much you can do.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelkriss View Post
    This is a screen capture of my laptop running wifi-tethering to mobilespeedtest.com's site.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    will my verizon pre2 work on straight talk?
    Ordered my straight talk sim yesterday. I bought an unlocked GSM Pre2 to use as a frankenpre. I will also be swapping the original board back in for use with straight talk. These posts make me feel good about my decision. I hope to have the SIM by monday.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDCONTRA View Post
    will my verizon pre2 work on straight talk?
    No, they are a GSM service.
    Straight talk is simply the best and cheapest way to stay with webOS with the Veer, Pre2 or Pre3. That is unless you don't have ATT coverage