Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    So I recently bought a palm pre 2 on ebay for a good price. I did don't plan on using it till maybe april. I am new to webos but usually just figure stuff out and have been just playing with the phone in dev mode. I feel like I have done about as much as I can while unactivated. I have a few questions regarding palm pre 2 and webos on it.
    The phone currently has webos 2.1. Otherwise I love the form factor and webOs seems pretty good.

    I chose webOs on this reasoning.
    Apple = closed system
    Andoid = Just don't like
    Windows = I want to get away from windows although I have no problems with their phones.
    WebOS = perfect

    Anyways...

    -Should I upgrade to 2.24?
    -If I were to overclock it, what kernel should I use?

    -Do I need to wait till I activate it to do anything like...
    -Upgrade to 2.24
    -Install apps
    -Overclock

    -If It is possible to do any of the above while unactivated, how do I do it?
  2. #2  
    ehh, there are some threads on the changes in 2.2.4 in the Pre 2 subforum, decide for yourself
    Uberkernel is the only option out there (non-experimental) IIRC

    I'm not activated either (pre 2 )
    you can bypass activation using some method, some tweaking is needed to access the official app catalog. (I can't give you instructions or anything, because I'm on my pre and also because I don't remember)
    the app Impostah is your friend (activating without cell service and getting Palm profile w/o service)
    also, preware installs no matter what
    I'm sure google and other members can give you more help, sorry
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for even a reply. I asked about 2.2.4 because I have read some pretty... not great things
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjames888 View Post
    Thanks for even a reply. I asked about 2.2.4 because I have read some pretty... not great things
    Depends on your carrier, if you have a touchpad you can use getbt script to get map (sms mirroring) for webOS 2.1.0, Skype mobile on webOS 2.1.0 for Verizon, or full Skype VoIP for webOS 2.2.4...
  5.    #5  
    I will be on verizon when I do activate
  6.    #6  
    I got preware installed which in turn lets me install apps and overclock
  7. #7  
    2.2.4 is alright, I don't think VZ has pushed it out OTA though... Is there a doctor for it?
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
  8. #8  
    Looks like it's time to get acquainted with the Meta-Doctor. Verizon hasn't officially blessed 2.2.4 for the Pre 2, but, once you get the Meta-Doctor set up, there are trivial scripts you can run with it to pretty much create your own. Since you don't plan on activating it yet, I'd say go with
    Code:
    ./scripts/test-verizon-pre2-2.2.4 --wifi-only
    Since the upgrade is only as permanent as you want it to be, you can go back to 2.1.0 whenever you feel like it, either by running the Verizon 2.1.0 Doctor or using Meta-Doctor, such as
    Code:
    ./scripts/test-verizon-2.1.0 --wifi-only
    I'm recommending the "--wifi-only" flag on those because it bypasses carrier activation and lets you get a Palm Profile (er, "HP webOS Account" as it's now called) up and running by running the "Gesture Tutorial" application. Keep in mind that you'll have to run the doctor again without the "--wifi-only" flag to re-enable the cellular radio prior to activation. A combination of the Palm Profile and Save/Restore make wiping the device far from a painful process.

    Once you've got a Palm Profile on there, you should have access to the app catalog. Even without that, you'll have access to Preware. Through Preware you can overclock by installing Uberkernel and Govnah. I'm still working on getting my own Pre 2, so I'm not sure how necessary overclocking is, or how noticeable an improvement it will be.

    Hope I helped. Good luck!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffro-tull View Post
    Looks like it's time to get acquainted with the Meta-Doctor. Verizon hasn't officially blessed 2.2.4 for the Pre 2, but, once you get the Meta-Doctor set up, there are trivial scripts you can run with it to pretty much create your own. Since you don't plan on activating it yet, I'd say go with
    Code:
    ./scripts/test-verizon-pre2-2.2.4 --wifi-only
    Since the upgrade is only as permanent as you want it to be, you can go back to 2.1.0 whenever you feel like it, either by running the Verizon 2.1.0 Doctor or using Meta-Doctor, such as
    Code:
    ./scripts/test-verizon-2.1.0 --wifi-only
    I'm recommending the "--wifi-only" flag on those because it bypasses carrier activation and lets you get a Palm Profile (er, "HP webOS Account" as it's now called) up and running by running the "Gesture Tutorial" application. Keep in mind that you'll have to run the doctor again without the "--wifi-only" flag to re-enable the cellular radio prior to activation. A combination of the Palm Profile and Save/Restore make wiping the device far from a painful process.

    Once you've got a Palm Profile on there, you should have access to the app catalog. Even without that, you'll have access to Preware. Through Preware you can overclock by installing Uberkernel and Govnah. I'm still working on getting my own Pre 2, so I'm not sure how necessary overclocking is, or how noticeable an improvement it will be.

    Hope I helped. Good luck!
    I would recommend the super-verizon-pre2-2.2.4
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    I would recommend the super-verizon-pre2-2.2.4
    Would you mind explaining the differences between super- and test- ? I'm a little hazy on that.

    Also, was I on the right track with the remainder of my suggestions?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffro-tull View Post
    Would you mind explaining the differences between super- and test- ? I'm a little hazy on that.

    Also, was I on the right track with the remainder of my suggestions?
    There is a thread about both but as I am on my touchpad... Super has old YouTube app (faster then html5 version, works well on pre3, but not so much on pre2), motionapps classic bits, so classic palmos works, and all Verizon apps amazon mp3, vznavigator, etc... With update daemon disabled... Test is wr webOS 2.2.4 with cdma firmware... So it had all the wr apps no Verizon but allows update daemon to be enabled.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for more replys. I have spent several hours yesturday just playing with what I can get in preware. Playing with overclocking. You can overclock the pre2 from 1ghz to 1.2ghz. I don't think I have noticed. Played some games. Was shocked to find a quake in prewares apps. Its a difficult to play rundown version but still.

    Took me awhile to figure this all out too. I was getting annoyed because nothing would work. Then I learned I needed to webos pdk installed. All good now.

    I still don't have access to getting a palm profile. Impostah would let me put one in if I already had one. I might try some of the suggestions here.

    I think I will be activated possibly in april but no later than july. Till then I am sticking with the phone I got.

    I am also thinking about getting one of those extended 2600mhz eventually for when I go on trips or am away from a charger for awhile
    Last edited by jjames888; 03/16/2012 at 08:19 AM. Reason: because
  13. #13  
    Ubwrkernal can also underclock to save power
    there are also different governors etc

    and Impostah should have a Profile creation thing in the Activation area IIRC
  14.    #14  
    didn't scroll down in impostah... ha ha. Its there. I could underclock to save battery... but the point of the bigger battery is to maintain the overclock. Uberkernal does scaledown. I have been using it on the performance setting though because I am almost always sitting next to a wall outlet when I use the phone. Since it isnt activated... yet.

    You guys have been very helpful.
  15.    #15  
    I can't beleive how much I can do with this unactivated palm pre 2. I can't imagine the iphones 100,000 apps. There are so so many games when you take emulators into account.

Posting Permissions