webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > Anybody has a Pre 2 on Straight Talk GSM
Anybody has a Pre 2 on Straight Talk GSM
Like Tree2Likes

Old 03/13/2012, 08:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Has anybody activated their Pre 2, or any GSM Pre for that matter, on the new Straight Talk BYOD $45 plan? I have the Simple Mobile $40 unlimited but the speeds are atrocious. Even on a T-Mobile branded 3G device the speeds are throttled at about 119 kbps. Since there is no Opera Mini available for webOS, I gots ta bail on SM but I'd like to get some feedback.
fatclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/2012, 10:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

I just changed my Pre2 from AT&T to t-mobile and got a Sonic mobile hotspot from t-mobile as well. I got a 1000 minute for $100 pay as you go SIM for the Pre2 and a $30 a month 2gig data plan for the hotspot. I figure I'll save $20 a month and have WiFi for the TouchPad and PS Vita as well as the Pre.

better voice signal too.
jdlyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/2012, 12:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlyall View Post
I just changed my Pre2 from AT&T to t-mobile and got a Sonic mobile hotspot from t-mobile as well. I got a 1000 minute for $100 pay as you go SIM for the Pre2 and a $30 a month 2gig data plan for the hotspot. I figure I'll save $20 a month and have WiFi for the TouchPad and PS Vita as well as the Pre.

better voice signal too.
What happened to your speeds? My biggest reason for leaving Simple Mobile is that it's on T-Mobile's 1700 band. Edge just doesn't cut it when it comes to Bing Maps or tethering.
Should I disagree with you, you shall hear Ezekiel 25:17
Old 03/18/2012, 02:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Okay, so I took the plunge and I must say I was impressed by how smoothly it went. They ported my SM number in about 6 hours and my wife's number from Page Plus took about 10 minutes (no kidding). Changed the APN for data as well as the MMS settings and that was it. Mobilespeedtest.com showed anywhere from 750-1000 kbps download speeds (depending on the time of day) and everything worked as it should. For the extra $5 over Simple Mobile, it is well worth it, especially for the Bing Maps which is useless on EDGE speeds.
Liked by mauro1 and petrus1 like this.
Old 04/03/2012, 08:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatclue View Post
Okay, so I took the plunge and I must say I was impressed by how smoothly it went. They ported my SM number in about 6 hours and my wife's number from Page Plus took about 10 minutes (no kidding). Changed the APN for data as well as the MMS settings and that was it. Mobilespeedtest.com showed anywhere from 750-1000 kbps download speeds (depending on the time of day) and everything worked as it should. For the extra $5 over Simple Mobile, it is well worth it, especially for the Bing Maps which is useless on EDGE speeds.
Thanks for posting back your results. I actually just picked up a GSM Pre2 and was looking at getting ST. How is the call quality of the service?

(I just bought my ST SIM card. I got the AT&T version/regular size SIM.)

Was the number porting process done completely online?

Last edited by faithinchaos11; 04/03/2012 at 08:22 AM.
faithinchaos11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2012, 02:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
What happened to your speeds? My biggest reason for leaving Simple Mobile is that it's on T-Mobile's 1700 band. Edge just doesn't cut it when it comes to Bing Maps or tethering.
Edge where I'm at doesn't cut it at all. Just look at my signature. I was actually standing -in- the city where it said that speed test was done, not a couple thousand miles away.

Which is funny, because it's all a network routing problem, and not an actual cellular problem. But they won't even acknowledge it.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2012, 11:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithinchaos11 View Post
Thanks for posting back your results. I actually just picked up a GSM Pre2 and was looking at getting ST. How is the call quality of the service?

(I just bought my ST SIM card. I got the AT&T version/regular size SIM.)

Was the number porting process done completely online?
Yes, the porting process was done online but I called to make sure and it was only a few minutes after I called that I got ported from Simple. As I stated in my post, porting from Page Plus was literally minutes. The call quality is better than SM but not as good as Page Plus. The coverage area here in Miami is hit or miss but when it's on, it's on.
Old 04/05/2012, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes, the porting process was done online but I called to make sure and it was only a few minutes after I called that I got ported from Simple. As I stated in my post, porting from Page Plus was literally minutes. The call quality is better than SM but not as good as Page Plus. The coverage area here in Miami is hit or miss but when it's on, it's on.
Once again, thanks for the response.

I actually just got my SIM and I just finished setting up everything. My number has already been ported and I'm currently waiting for my other features to come online (incoming SMS/MMS). I can't believe how simple the entire process was!

I live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and I'm getting 3G data speeds around 1.4 mb/s down and .5 mb/s up. From the simple testing I've done, the call quality seems good.

I didn't do much to get the data to come online. I simply entered "att.mvno" in the APN settings and set a random username/password combo and it came up; the same goes for MMS.

Time will tell how well the service works, but from first impressions, I'm already impressed. ST is 1000x better than what I had to deal with on my Pre+ flashed to MetroPCS.

EDIT: I noticed the carrier string comes up as "HOME". I have modified the "HP WebOS" patch to display the carrier name "Straight Talk". I also have an AT&T one if anyone is interested.

Last edited by faithinchaos11; 04/05/2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04/06/2012, 06:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Moved from a FrankenPre2 on Sprint to a Veer on Straight Talk.....Great H+ speeds so far...I can't figure out what might be a better deal.
jezzeppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2012, 07:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

ok, thinking about going in on this, T-Mobile isn't cutting it. I'm not sure I even particularly -need- the data, but it'd be nice to have. So.. what do I have to do to get them going? I have a spare ATT SIM card, but I apparently couldn't just activate that to them. Should I be ordering a SIM from them, will that then be pre-activated? Or should I just go visit a Wal-Mart and grab an Android developer phone while i'm at it, then put the SIM in my Pre2..
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 04/07/2012, 09:42 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
ok, thinking about going in on this, T-Mobile isn't cutting it. I'm not sure I even particularly -need- the data, but it'd be nice to have. So.. what do I have to do to get them going? I have a spare ATT SIM card, but I apparently couldn't just activate that to them. Should I be ordering a SIM from them, will that then be pre-activated? Or should I just go visit a Wal-Mart and grab an Android developer phone while i'm at it, then put the SIM in my Pre2..
This is exactly what I did:

1) I went to this site: Welcome | Straight Talk and bought an AT&T compatible SIM.

I tried going into 2 of my local Wal-Marts, but apparently, they don't carry the BYOD device SIM kit in-store; you'll have to buy the kit online. For now, they offer free 3-day ground shipping on FedEx (only took me 2 days to get mine).

2) The kit will come with an activation card, service guide and, obviously, SIM card. The red activation card will guide you through the entire process of getting the SIM activated. The process, including porting my number, took no more than 15 minutes.

3) When I was done, I put the SIM in my Pre2 and viola! I was on Straight Talk.

I can't recommend going the "take-the-SIM-out-of-an-Android-phone" route as it would probably be more difficult. The BYOD promotion path was a lot easier. However, before the promotion, this is what people were doing before (and it worked). However, YMMV.

As for picking up a prepaid Android phone as a dev'ing one, I used to develop for an assortment of prepaid Android phones (Huawei Ascend, Optimus V and Motorola Triumph). It was fun, but was difficult due to manufacturers not releasing source code. Sometimes, they wouldn't even release their changes to GPL code (i.e. kernel source). If you're looking to develop apps, then it doesn't sound like a bad idea. There's a nice community of Android devs on Github. You can see my Android adventures here: http://github.com/ikarosdev
Old 04/07/2012, 03:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yeah, I do apps not kernel and OS level hacking.. gave up on the kernel and OS level hacking a few years ago. Probably go back to it to some degree for webOS, though.

I just don't know what to do. Maybe I'll just continue my T-Mobile for another month until I move.
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 04/07/2012, 07:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quick question to those on ST:

What exactly did you do for your APN settings? The SIM kit has info for the proxy and stuff, but all I changed was the APN name. After that, the internet came up.

So, basically, all I changed was "att.mvno" and put a made up username and password combo.
Old 04/07/2012, 08:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

I equally have moved onto ST from Sprint. One of my two Pre2's went from Sprint to Simple Mobile, and the other went from Sprint to StraightTalk. SM works good, but coverage in the Tampa area is spotty enough that the $5 difference to ST makes it a worthwhile investment for reliable coverage of voice services, which is the primary reason d'etre for a phone. I'm awaiting delivery of my 2nd ST SIM to switch my wife's Pre2 from SM to ST.

Both services work as advertised, though, Simple Mobile does not support short codes nor conditional call forwarding so integration with google services is compromised.
You need short codes to be able to SMS an appointment to your google calendar, which is use at least weekly, and you need conditional call forwarding to send incoming call to google voice's voicemail. If you use these features the $5 price difference is easy rationalized.
Old 04/08/2012, 04:16 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Has anybody activated their Pre 2, or any GSM Pre for that matter, on the new Straight Talk BYOD $45 plan? I have the Simple Mobile $40 unlimited but the speeds are atrocious. Even on a T-Mobile branded 3G device the speeds are throttled at about 119 kbps. Since there is no Opera Mini available for webOS, I gots ta bail on SM but I'd like to get some feedback.
I just purchased a new Palm Pixi Plus to use with the Straight Talk BYOD plan. It was fairly easy to setup with some minor tweaks in the initial Palm account setup. If you need assistance with that I could probably help you with the internet as well as the mms setup. My Sim card I received was an ATT compatible Sim, but I'm sure Tmobile isn't much different. The internet speeds on my phone are very good, but of course I am in a 3g area.
qcyelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2012, 04:19 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithinchaos11 View Post
Quick question to those on ST:

What exactly did you do for your APN settings? The SIM kit has info for the proxy and stuff, but all I changed was the APN name. After that, the internet came up.

So, basically, all I changed was "att.mvno" and put a made up username and password combo.
Username and password is not necessary. I left mine blank. I did notice that I also had to change the MMS apn settings just a bit to be able to send picture messages. Username and password are not necessary for that either and can be left blank.
qcyelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: faithinchaos11
Old 04/08/2012, 10:10 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcyelm View Post
Username and password is not necessary. I left mine blank. I did notice that I also had to change the MMS apn settings just a bit to be able to send picture messages. Username and password are not necessary for that either and can be left blank.
You're right; I just tried it without a username and password and it still came up. Like you, I changed the MMS proxy to:

Quote:
66.209.11.33:80
After that pictures were coming and going. Mobilespeedtest.com says I'm getting some fairly respectable 3G speeds (DFW area):

Old 05/21/2012, 12:41 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcyelm View Post
I just purchased a new Palm Pixi Plus to use with the Straight Talk BYOD plan. It was fairly easy to setup with some minor tweaks in the initial Palm account setup. If you need assistance with that I could probably help you with the internet as well as the mms setup. My Sim card I received was an ATT compatible Sim, but I'm sure Tmobile isn't much different. The internet speeds on my phone are very good, but of course I am in a 3g area.
can you help me with intial setup?
mcsqueaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/22/2012, 11:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Hey mcsqueaking,

I assume you have a Pre 2 on Straight Talk? (From the forum/thread you posted in)

If so...

From the main screen tap the phone icon > tap the top left corner of the screen to pull down the phone menu

Tap Preferences and Accounts

Scroll down to the bottom and move the switches for Data Usage and Manual Settings to "On"

Tap Edit Network Settings

There are two tabs on this screen: Internet APN and MMS APN

Here are screen captures of my settings (user name and password can be left blank):

When you put the settings into one page by tapping the Change Settings button, it will say Invalid settings... It always seems to do that - don't panic, select Set Up Anyway... It will ask if you are sure.... Tap OK.

When switching between the two tabs it will prompt you to save... Tap Save.

These settings have been working fine for me on Straight Talk with Pre 2. Calls, data, sms, mms. Everything is groovy.
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/23/2012, 04:24 AM   #20 (permalink)

I'm just gonna go this route

I saw a pre2 unlocked GSM for $100 Ima jump on it and put it on St

I have sprint and android now but my love is webos
snarf77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0