1.    #1  
    Background
    So I'm a proud day one of a Sprint Pre (and 8 subsequent refurbs from Sprint) and have modestly tweaked it thanks to this community. Out of curiosity I wanted to experience life without WebOS. My wife has a 4S so I already know I don't like it and so bought a GalaxyS2. I didn't care for it either after a week, returned it and bought a Verizon Pre 2 off Craigslist for $80 with plans on Frankening it. I am technical but not familiar with Linux. I have an XP and W7 box.

Hardware
    I got the Pre 2 apart fine. I have read a few threads stating I can change just the comm board since its a VZ donor but I am following the instructions to the letter if possible.

Software
    After reading the wikis and forums for weeks I have a few questions.

Ubuntu
    1. I have been unable to get a WUBI install of 11.04 to succeed. Must I use that version?
    2. Can install on a Virtual Box instead? if so can I use the latest or must it be 3.X? is the requirement to install the SDK emulator VBVBVB ($per$ $the$ $SDK$ $link$, $3$.$X$) $within$ $a$ $windows$ $VB$ $make$ $this$ $a$ $stupid$ $question$?

Palm SDK link
    3. Only lists Ubuntu 10.4 and 9.04 so which do I choose?
    4. Instructs installing Virtual Box 3.X but other HP SDK sites say they now support Virtual Box 4 or is that only for later SDKs?
    5. Instructs installing the SDK for 2.1 but the upgrade script for Spint Franken VZ Pre 2 references 2.2.4 so is this the right SDK?

Pre- prep
    6. I have turned off the backups. Another thread recommended that one should remove the device from one's Palm Profile. Are there any pro's or con's to this.
    7. Once I get meta doctor ready I know I need to back up the PRL. What about ECR? Do I need to remove any software, i.e. uberkernal? Can I just reset the device to stock? I have nothing on it I need to keep. After replacing it 8 times under warranty I've learned not to keep anything on it.

Thanks in advance
    Since you're not familiar with Linux, here's what I recommend: build the meta-doctor in Ubuntu, move it to Windows, and actually RUN the meta-doctor there in windows.

You don't actually need the SDK - you just need the Novacom driver. Even that, you only need to install it for the operating system you plan to run the Doctor from. Building a meta-doctor is unsupported under Windows, but you can run them just like you would any other Doctor once they're built.

I say grab the latest stable version of Ubuntu, install that within the latest stable version of Virtual Box, build the doctor as per the wiki instructions, then copy it over to host OS (ftp, CIFS, shared folders, thumb drive... take your pick), and then run it from there.

As far as the Palm Profile is concerned, you should be fine without doing anything to it. It certainly won't hurt to delete your backups and essentially start fresh, but you shouldn't have to Just like a non-techie upgrading his Verizon Pre Plus to a Verizon Pre2 doesn't have to do anything more than sign in.

For the PRL, that's not "once I get the meta-doctor..." that's something you should do right away to make sure you don't forget about it. It's a process that needs to start while running 1.4.5.

I don't know what you mean my ECR.

You don't need to worry about uninstalling any software or patches or anything - a Doctor wipes everything away (except /media/internal/, in some cases), so that gets done for you.

Only thing I'm not sure about is the hardware issue. I *think* you only need to swap the comm board, going CDMA-to-CDMA like that, but I'm not 100% sure. I'd like for someone else to chime in, since I'll be doing the same swap in a week or two.
  3.    #3  
    jeffro, thanks for the quick and thoughtful reply. I understand what you are saying and it makes perfect sense but I am not ready to go off script just yet after numerous threads warned of following the instructions EXACTLY. My phone works well for me and I need to have a fairly high level of confidence that it will continue to do so, so would like to use a well rehearsed and scripted method.

I meant EPR, not ECR. I have updated the PRL, just waiting to get novaterm running.

I'd love to hear from any windows users that successfully navigated these instructions. I will gladly compile and post a step by step for future fellow windows-centric / linux-challenged / sprintfrankenpre2-inclined WebOSers.
    I'm not sure which part has you worried about going "off script". If it's the profile, you should be in the clear. Even though a Sprint Pre 2 doesn't officially exist, HP's servers accept the combination as valid, and 1.4.5 to 2.x is a valid upgrade path. But if you've got Google or something else backing up your calendar and contacts, it's really not much else in the way of extra work just starting from scratch. Just document the apps you have installed, since they won't auto-download.

If it's building... well, which "script" are you worried about going off? According to Palm (and later/currently, HP), the newest version of Ubuntu supported by the SDK is 10.04. By going for 11.04, you're already off that script. Granted, since the Meta-Doctor wiki page calls out 11.04, you're probably in the clear. Just felt like I should point that out.

I guess I'm not the person to ask for advice on how best to follow things to the letter. My Sprint Pre is running webOS 2.1.0 (migrated from a fully-backed-up 1.4.5 profile), built and installed from Arch Linux. Maybe I'll see if my brother can chime in - he just Sprintified his Pre 2. I don't know of the details, but he runs Windows on metal and had Ubuntu in Virtualbox.

one thing worth mentioning (since I've seen this overlooked quite a bit): if you decide to set up Ubuntu in a virtual machine and run everything from there, you need Novacom installed and running on the guest (Ubuntu) AND the host (Windows) or the Doctor won't see the phone.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leifp View Post
    fellow windows-centric / linux-challenged / sprintfrankenpre2-inclined WebOSers.
    Great phrase!. Count me as one of those.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffro-tull View Post
    I'm not sure which part has you worried about going "off script". If it's the profile, you should be in the clear. Even though a Sprint Pre 2 doesn't officially exist, HP's servers accept the combination as valid, and 1.4.5 to 2.x is a valid upgrade path. But if you've got Google or something else backing up your calendar and contacts, it's really not much else in the way of extra work just starting from scratch. Just document the apps you have installed, since they won't auto-download.

If it's building... well, which "script" are you worried about going off? According to Palm (and later/currently, HP), the newest version of Ubuntu supported by the SDK is 10.04. By going for 11.04, you're already off that script. Granted, since the Meta-Doctor wiki page calls out 11.04, you're probably in the clear. Just felt like I should point that out.

I guess I'm not the person to ask for advice on how best to follow things to the letter. My Sprint Pre is running webOS 2.1.0 (migrated from a fully-backed-up 1.4.5 profile), built and installed from Arch Linux. Maybe I'll see if my brother can chime in - he just Sprintified his Pre 2. I don't know of the details, but he runs Windows on metal and had Ubuntu in Virtualbox.

one thing worth mentioning (since I've seen this overlooked quite a bit): if you decide to set up Ubuntu in a virtual machine and run everything from there, you need Novacom installed and running on the guest (Ubuntu) AND the host (Windows) or the Doctor won't see the phone.
    It's the not profile but the build. Primarily, the SDK and Ubuntu versions (10.04 on 11.04), secondarily the SDK and meta script (2.1 v 2.2.4). I feel like if I could get a clean build I can handle the installation.

Gotcha on the Novacom.
    It's the not profile but the build. Primarily, the SDK and Ubuntu versions (10.04 on 11.04), secondarily the SDK and meta script (2.1 v 2.2.4). I feel like if I could get a clean build I can handle the installation.

Gotcha on the Novacom.
    OK. Well, for what it's worth:

1) when I first put webOS 2.1.0 on my Pre, I was multi-booting. I didn't feel like messing around to make an Ubuntu package with ridiculous dependencies (Novacom) run in my preferred Linux distribution, so I had another partition that I used strictly for Meta-Doctor and WebOS Quick Install work. I used 10.04, and the meta-doctor scripts went without a hitch.

2) when my brother did his, he used a newer version of Ubuntu. I don't recall if it was 10.10,. 11.04, or 11.10, but it was certainly a newer version than is "officially blessed" by HP/Palm.

Still waiting for someone else to chime in on the rear bezel question. The headphone jack in my Pre intermittently shorts out if the cable is jostled at all... if I have to swap the bezel, that means I'll be wanting to swap the headphone jack. Which means I really, REALLY don't want to swap the bezel if I don't have to.
    Just to chime in on the bezel issue, you only need to bring the old bezel over with the comm board if you are swapping between cdma and gsm phones. So, if you are doing converting a sprint pre- into the body of a verizon pre+ or Pre2, then you do NOT need your old bezel.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro-tull View Post

Still waiting for someone else to chime in on the rear bezel question. The headphone jack in my Pre intermittently shorts out if the cable is jostled at all... if I have to swap the bezel, that means I'll be wanting to swap the headphone jack. Which means I really, REALLY don't want to swap the bezel if I don't have to.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Gotcha on the Novacom.
    leifp,

Did you ever finish your FrankenPre? How did it go? Any other lessons learned? In terms of hardware, curious whether you went without replacing bezel - my Pre has shot headphone jack so would rather be able to just swap comm boards.

Thanks,
    Nate
    I gave up on Android Nexus S and I am returning to Pre. I thought I remembered someone offering a service to upgrade Sprint Pres IF you mailed over your Pre and a Pre2.

Did I remember right? I am insanely busy and don't have time to get lost in the pages of instructions. All the scripts and need to have Unbutu/Linux installed seems like too much for me at the moment.

If there is no 'paid' conversion service - what is a realistic time frame for a rank amateur?

Thanks

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by funkmeisterbrau View Post
    I gave up on Android Nexus S and I am returning to Pre. I thought I remembered someone offering a service to upgrade Sprint Pres IF you mailed over your Pre and a Pre2.

Did I remember right? I am insanely busy and don't have time to get lost in the pages of instructions. All the scripts and need to have Unbutu/Linux installed seems like too much for me at the moment.

If there is no 'paid' conversion service - what is a realistic time frame for a rank amateur?

Thanks

I am certainly a rank amateur and I'm guessing it took me at least 8 hours to install Linux as a dual boot, follow all the instructions on the WebOS Internals site, etc. The actual comms board switch went pretty smooth and quickly.
    Thanks for the encouragement, Is there any part of the Linux install part that was extra confusing or that you would have done different or wished for more clarification?

In other words 'but for' this or that, you would have got it done in 4 hours?

Was it worth it? Or does the FrankenPre have some weird glitches. I am using an unlocked, new Pre2 and my Sprint Pre is activated. I did full erase and reset, and also turned Profile back up off.

Thx

( I read about the Sprin Nav, and Voice issues and see there are work arounds. )
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by funkmeisterbrau View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement, Is there any part of the Linux install part that was extra confusing or that you would have done different or wished for more clarification?

In other words 'but for' this or that, you would have got it done in 4 hours?

Was it worth it? Or does the FrankenPre have some weird glitches. I am using an unlocked, new Pre2 and my Sprint Pre is activated. I did full erase and reset, and also turned Profile back up off.

Thx

( I read about the Sprin Nav, and Voice issues and see there are work arounds. )
    It was certainly worth it. I was very careful to follow the instructions to the letter. I probably took longer than necessary simply because I would read each step over several times, then perform the step, but go back and double and triple check before I actually pushed enter or whatever to execute the step. And even then, I made a few mistakes, but I am pretty dense sometimes. LOL
    Once the doctor started being made and loaded it went real quick.

I did have another problem that took much longer to fix and isn't included in that 8 hours. I couldn't sign into my old palm profile. I was able to create a new profile easy enough, but I kept trying to get into the old profile. After two days and several times with online help and recommended solutions that didn't work, I gave up and used Impostah to get all my old profile apps downloaded into the new profile. If I had it to do over, I would risk it and not turn off backup first. I have read that some have not had a problem leaving it on.

Even after all that time and trouble, I still think it was well worth it. I love my new FrankenPre2.
  14.    #14  
    I put the upgrade on hold after initial frustrations and personal time demands but have decided I must move forward as my Pre- is fading badly: screen cracks, overheating, battery life is poor even with new supposedly OEM batteries. I may try to get another warranty replacement first and / or doctor the original before starting again.

FunkMeisterBrau, I believe there is a service but I resist sending it off because 1) it's my primary phone, I have no land line and I'm on call 2) I feel I need to be able to do this myself for any future doctoring or mods that may need to be applied.

Igor987, you have encouraged me to try again even though I tried to follow the instructions and failed. Do you recall which versions of Ubuntu and the Palm SDK you used? Did you need Novacmd? TIA
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

Igor987, you have encouraged me to try again even though I tried to follow the instructions and failed. Do you recall which versions of Ubuntu and the Palm SDK you used? Did you need Novacmd? TIA
    I used Ubuntu 11.??? and whatever the latest version of Palm SDK was online to download. And I did use Novacmd I think. (Sorry, it all kinda runs together and I'm not able to access that computer right now). I hope it goes well for you.
    Treo 650, Sprint Pre-, Sprint FrankenPre2, AT&T Pre3 and Touchpad X 3
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I have just re-doctored my Sprint Frankenpre 2 and everything seemingly went smooth until I tried to use the calendar. By that time I had already reinstalled all my old patches to include Ubercalendar. The calendar opened to just a white screen. I uninstalled Ubercalendar and all calendar patches. The calendar would then open but it wouldn't let me get to calendar view options. I push that button and the screen flashes briefly but the original screen remains. Anyone had a similar issue and was able to fix it? I really don't want to have to spend another 4 hours of my life and doctor again.
    Treo 650, Sprint Pre-, Sprint FrankenPre2, AT&T Pre3 and Touchpad X 3