Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rwhitby
  1.    #1  
    I've been out of the webos game for a while with my epic but miss it to much Is it possible to take a Verizon pre 2 and convert it to gsm using an att pre plus as a donor?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    In theory since it works vice versa. I would imagine so. Just swap out the backs and run the doctor.
  3.    #3  
    That's kinda what I was thinking. So which version of doctor would I use? Just the att for the pre plus or some sort of meta doctor?

4.    #4  
    I should prob mention that this contraption is going to run on straight talk

Quote Originally Posted by slayer450 View Post
    So which version of doctor would I use?
    I'd be curious (read: grateful) to know a similar answer from the minds the be. Specifically, for an unlocked GSM board/bezel installed into the body of a Verizon Pre2, which would be the appropriate doctor to run? I noticed there doesn't appear to be a meta script tailored to this combination/setup, and the only other option would seem to be the stock unlocked GSM doctor, but that doesn't feel right. Anyone know?
    Last edited by sq5; 03/19/2012 at 10:29 PM.
    As an update, the stock doctor for unlocked gsm pre's wouldn't run, as expected, so it's down to one of the metadoctor scripts. Any suggestions which is the right one in this case?
    Ok well I think I solved this on my own. I ended up creating a "meta-wr-franken-verizon-pre2" metadoctor script for myself to generate a doctor file that would load onto this particular kind of device. So far it seems to be working. I will have to test everything out fully to be sure.

I can PM or post the script if anyone else ends up needing it.
    I can only hope this was the GSM back I sent...

Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    Ok well I think I solved this on my own. I ended up creating a "meta-wr-franken-verizon-pre2" metadoctor script for myself to generate a doctor file that would load onto this particular kind of device. So far it seems to be working. I will have to test everything out fully to be sure.

I can PM or post the script if anyone else ends up needing it.
    Yep. Go figure that nobody seems to have previously tried the setup I did. I just need to get my hands on a cheap prepaid sim card now so I and test all the functions. If nothing is buggy, I should probably suggest my script be added to the repertoire of scripts included in the metadoctor system.
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    Yep. Go figure that nobody seems to have previously tried the setup I did. I just need to get my hands on a cheap prepaid sim card now so I and test all the functions. If nothing is buggy, I should probably suggest my script be added to the repertoire of scripts included in the metadoctor system.
    You can fork the meta-doctor repo on github and send a pull request...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    ArchonAdvisors and kataran like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You can fork the meta-doctor repo on github and send a pull request...

-- Rod
    Thanks for the info Rod! You are the gentleman and scholar as usual.
  12.    #12  
    Ok, so I picked up an att pre plus. I doctored it when I got it and used the bypass tool to play with it for a while. I called att and got the unlock code but this phone well not show me the network unlock screen. All I get is "check Sim-SOS only". How do I get to that screen so I can unlock it?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by slayer450 View Post
    I've been out of the webos game for a while with my epic but miss it to much Is it possible to take a Verizon pre 2 and convert it to gsm using an att pre plus as a donor?

The only "problem" I'd predict is the length of the radio wires.
    The GSM boards connectors are further down than the CDMA ones, so the wires are a bit longer.
    The CDMA wires might not reach that far.
    I'm sure you can transplant the wires from the GSM phone, but just know you might have to do some extra tinkering.
    Quote Originally Posted by shock_terminal View Post
    The only "problem" I'd predict is the length of the radio wires.
    The GSM boards connectors are further down than the CDMA ones, so the wires are a bit longer.
    The CDMA wires might not reach that far.
    I'm sure you can transplant the wires from the GSM phone, but just know you might have to do some extra tinkering.
    Always swap both the comms board and the plastic backplate with the antennae at the same time. Then the wires always match (and you don't get mismatched antenna characteristics).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Or you can sell the Pre 2 to me and buy a GSM one..