Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By John Steffes
  • 1 Post By John Steffes
  1.    #1  
    I started with an unlicked GSM Pre 2 (P102UNA) and replaced Comm Board and Bezel with parts from an old Verizon Pre Plus. Doctored using meta-verizon-franken-unlocked-pre2-2.1.0 and all works.

However, I want to get the Verizon specific apps as I did this for Free Mobile Hotspot. Also phone is reporting Carrier ROW and I understand this can cause battery discharge issues.

Ultimately I would like to use the Verizon 2.2.4 test script, but not sure this is even possible.

Does my issue relate to tokens? Can I get to a point where at a minimum I can get the Verizon specific apps?

I did try to run the Verizon test 2.2.4 script but ended up with a token mismatch error reproduced below. Any help is appreciated.

Mar 7, 2012 10:11:19 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController postFlashEvent
    WARNING: Flash Failure
    err -1 "TOKEN MISMATCH: Failed to find match for Carrier information. Prevent user from flashing"
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.FlasherThread.run(FlasherThread.java:307)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
    Mar 7, 2012 10:11:19 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController postFlashEvent
    INFO: Flash End time (Fail) 1331176279072
    INFO: Handling TOKEN Mismatch error
    Mar 7, 2012 10:11:19 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController handleTokenFailCase
    WARNING: flashing failed, move to Token failed card
    err -1 "TOKEN MISMATCH: Failed to find match for Carrier information. Prevent user from flashing"

Your custom doctor file has been created at build/test-verizon-pre2-2.2.4/webosdoctorp224pre2-wr-2.2.4.jar
    Quote Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
    I started with an unlicked GSM Pre 2 (P102UNA) and replaced Comm Board and Bezel with parts from an old Verizon Pre Plus. Doctored using meta-verizon-franken-unlocked-pre2-2.1.0 and all works.

However, I want to get the Verizon specific apps as I did this for Free Mobile Hotspot. Also phone is reporting Carrier ROW and I understand this can cause battery discharge issues.

Ultimately I would like to use the Verizon 2.2.4 test script, but not sure this is even possible.

Does my issue relate to tokens? Can I get to a point where at a minimum I can get the Verizon specific apps?

I did try to run the Verizon test 2.2.4 script but ended up with a token mismatch error reproduced below. Any help is appreciated.

WARNING: Flash Failure
    INFO: Flash End time (Fail) 1331176279072
    INFO: Handling TOKEN Mismatch error
    Mar 7, 2012 10:11:19 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController handleTokenFailCase
    WARNING: flashing failed, move to Token failed card

Your custom doctor file has been created at build/test-verizon-pre2-2.2.4/webosdoctorp224pre2-wr-2.2.4.jar
    Use the standard WR webOS 2.2.4 build, do not use the Verizon Pre2 build...

Then disable the update daemon and then follow this thread 2.2.4 for the VZW Pre 2?

You could change the tokens as well, but if HP/PALM release an updated build for WR you would be able to get it.

Now if Verizon ever approves webOS 2.2.4 then changing the tokens might be worth it, but I am not holding my breath...
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
  3.    #3  
    OK. I will give this a shot. I am not that knowledgeable about Ubuntu and Linux but can follow instructions pretty well and we will see what happens.

A couple questions...more from curiousity.

What does the WR stand for? How about carrier = ROW? And I guess I can not use the new Verizon Super Script? I have to pice it together based on your refrenced post?

I will test tonight and report back.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Use the standard WR webOS 2.2.4 build, do not use the Verizon Pre2 build...

Then disable the update daemon and then follow this thread 2.2.4 for the VZW Pre 2?

You could change the tokens as well, but if HP/PALM release an updated build for WR you would be able to get it.

Now if Verizon ever approves webOS 2.2.4 then changing the tokens might be worth it, but I am not holding my breath...
    OK. I will give this a shot. I am not that knowledgeable about Ubuntu and Linux but can follow instructions pretty well and we will see what happens.

A couple questions...more from curiousity.

What does the WR stand for? How about carrier = ROW? And I guess I can not use the new Verizon Super Script? I have to pice it together based on your refrenced post?

I will test tonight and report back.

Thanks again.
    my understanding WR - WoRld and ROW - Rest Of World. Both are the same.

I've never heard of any such battery issues just because of what the carrier string is reporting. Give the WR scripts a try but i believe it should work fine with the verizon ones, just not the test variety.

I think this is getting overcomplicated more than it needs to be.
  6.    #6  
    You can read above for the recap, but the short version is:

• Started with GSM Pre 2
    • Swapped Comm Board from Pre Plus
    • Doctored with meta-verizon-franken-unlocked-pre2-2.1.0

But I wanted Verizon apps. When i tried to Dr with another Verizon Dr but kept receiving an error for carrier mismatch.

Tonight I see a notice on my phone to update to 2.2.4, so I started the update and it worked. I did not get all Verizon specifc apps but did get Mobile Hot Spot. Also now have SIM Toolkit so this must be some sort of Universal update. As near as I can tell all seems to work, phone shows Verizon in the left launcher, but ROW for Carrier under Device Info.

Should I care that the carrier on Device Info states ROW? I did not expect this but I guess I am happy, though i am curious if someone can explain what is going on.

Thanks
    Tonight I see a notice on my phone to update to 2.2.4, so I started the update and it worked. I did not get all Verizon specifc apps but did get Mobile Hot Spot. Also now have SIM Toolkit so this must be some sort of Universal update. As near as I can tell all seems to work, phone shows Verizon in the left launcher, but ROW for Carrier under Device Info.
    Thanks great, and just as I expected! You are correct that the HP's 2.2.4 update was somewhat universal, so everybody gets that SIM Toolkit app with it, including Verizon/Sprint people. You can go ahead try deleting it if you want or just ignore it.

Should I care that the carrier on Device Info states ROW? I did not expect this but I guess I am happy, though i am curious if someone can explain what is going on.
    You're in good shape since the phone showed "Verizon" in the left launcher. Don't be bothered by that other carrier name in the Device Info app. My understanding is that the carrier string there is informational only, and is not tied to any function on the phone, so it has no affect on anything. As I mentioned via PM, when people are making Sprint FrankenPre2's for instance, their carrier string in Device Info usually reads as "Verizon" at the end, which is perfectly normal quirk of the FrankenPre process and can be ignored.
    Quote edited...
    The script you used meta-verizon-franken-unlocked-pre2-2.1.0 brought you to webOS 2.1.0 build 108 which required an OTA update to bring you to webOS 2.2.4 build 160 which will bring you all of the WR carrier apps, as the device is a WR device this is what it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    Thanks great, and just as I expected! You are correct that the HP's 2.2.4 update was somewhat universal, so everybody gets that SIM Toolkit app with it, including Verizon/Sprint people. You can go ahead try deleting it if you want or just ignore it.
    Again this is normal as a WR device normally has a SIM card slot which requires this app. You can remove it but as I have found it will at some time OTA update back as my Verizon Pre2 has done several times now...

Built with webOS 2.2.4 build 160 by default with Verizon apps (super-verizon-pre2-2.2.4, which by default disables the system update daemon), but when the update daemon is enabled, when clicking system update it will overwrite with WR apps, I then created a script to remove the WR apps and put the Verizon Apps back, which two weeks later, OTA back to WR apps, which I re-ran the script to put back the Verizon apps. So as the WR build expects certain apps to be installed, I keep playing this game... Glad it is just a developer device to me as long as my PrePlus is still rocking...

Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    You're in good shape since the phone showed "Verizon" in the left launcher. Don't be bothered by that other carrier name in the Device Info app. My understanding is that the carrier string there is informational only, and is not tied to any function on the phone, so it has no affect on anything. As I mentioned via PM, when people are making Sprint FrankenPre2's for instance, their carrier string in Device Info usually reads as "Verizon" at the end, which is perfectly normal quirk of the FrankenPre process and can be ignored.
    This is based on the tokens of the device, the device is a ROW device used on a Verizon network (because it has a CDMA board in it)... This is expected and as noted is of no concern, as long as you do not have issues with Verizon, if you do and you call Verizon for technical support they will one, notice you are on a Pre2 instead of a PrePlus and two will notice you are using ROW device instead of a Verizon device... As long as you do not call Verizon as far as I know they have no idea what is on the device or what the device is, as they go by the meid which is a PrePlus Comm board. Not saying they will like this as as part of the Pre2 there is no free hotspot (which is one reason I am still using my PrePlus), Verizon now charges $30 for 2G (what a rip off), or one can use free tether and break some golden rules one might no longer be under contract to follow...

You can follow the previous post I sent and get back the Verizon Apps (which you may use VZNavigator is expensive but does work well or Amazon MP3 I do use and it has a good selection), the only thing to make sure of is that the PrePlus comm board is at the correct firmware [RC1.8(595)] because if you are not then you will have issues with calls dropping or missing calls (as have been reported), also if your device has the UMTS firmware and you attempt to use the diagnostic software it might cause an unexpected result (attempt to alter the firmware from CDMA to UMTS)... I recommend you make sure to uninstall the UMTS firmware and install the CDMA firmware, this is what both of my Verizon scripts do...
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    The script you used meta-verizon-franken-unlocked-pre2-2.1.0 brought you to webOS 2.1.0 build 108 which required an OTA update to bring you to webOS 2.2.4 build 160 which will bring you all of the WR carrier apps, as the device is a WR device this is what it should be.

Again this is normal as a WR device normally has a SIM card slot which requires this app. You can remove it but as I have found it will at some time OTA update back as my Verizon Pre2 has done several times now...

Built with webOS 2.2.4 build 160 by default with Verizon apps (super-verizon-pre2-2.2.4, which by default disables the system update daemon), but when the update daemon is enabled, when clicking system update it will overwrite with WR apps, I then created a script to remove the WR apps and put the Verizon Apps back, which two weeks later, OTA back to WR apps, which I re-ran the script to put back the Verizon apps. So as the WR build expects certain apps to be installed, I keep playing this game... Glad it is just a developer device to me as long as my PrePlus is still rocking...

This is based on the tokens of the device, the device is a ROW device used on a Verizon network (because it has a CDMA board in it)... This is expected and as noted is of no concern, as long as you do not have issues with Verizon, if you do and you call Verizon for technical support they will one, notice you are on a Pre2 instead of a PrePlus and two will notice you are using ROW device instead of a Verizon device... As long as you do not call Verizon as far as I know they have no idea what is on the device or what the device is, as they go by the meid which is a PrePlus Comm board. Not saying they will like this as as part of the Pre2 there is no free hotspot (which is one reason I am still using my PrePlus), Verizon now charges $30 for 2G (what a rip off), or one can use free tether and break some golden rules one might no longer be under contract to follow...

You can follow the previous post I sent and get back the Verizon Apps (which you may use VZNavigator is expensive but does work well or Amazon MP3 I do use and it has a good selection), the only thing to make sure of is that the PrePlus comm board is at the correct firmware [RC1.8(595)] because if you are not then you will have issues with calls dropping or missing calls (as have been reported), also if your device has the UMTS firmware and you attempt to use the diagnostic software it might cause an unexpected result (attempt to alter the firmware from CDMA to UMTS)... I recommend you make sure to uninstall the UMTS firmware and install the CDMA firmware, this is what both of my Verizon scripts do...
    So if I have the wrong Firmware (1.7), how do i upgrade to 1.8. Also, any idea why the Verizon Pre 2 Dr did not work? (I guess I don't understand tokens).
    So if I have the wrong Firmware (1.7), how do i upgrade to 1.8. Also, any idea why the Verizon Pre 2 Dr did not work? (I guess I don't understand tokens).
    There are many ways to install the modem firmware, on this forum there is many posts about it, even webosinternals have a wiki on it. So I won't go into great detail, but use the roadrunner cdma firmware ipk from the Verizon pre2 doctor. Then once the firmware is installed use pmmodemupdater procedure here http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/ModemFW_Flash

Post your results...

To use my Verizon scripts on row remove the carrier Verizon and model p102eww from the script, as the doctor is for row it will find your row token and install without any issues.
    If you have the 1.7 firmware, that is still a valid and pretty recent CDMA version, so, I wouldn't say that's necessarily wrong or bad. If things are working without problems, I wouldn't mess with it further. You just don't ever want to somehow put a UTMS firmware on there accidentally.

It seems that the firmware changes are decided during the doctoring process. I've doctored some phones and had it change the firmware version, while on other phones it left the firmware as it was, perhaps depending on the MEID or comm-board hardware revision. Many frankenpre'd Verizon phones I've seen are on version RC1.7(577) in the end for instance, with no problems. I see no reason in altering that sort of thing manually if things seem to be working fine since there is a small chance you could brick your comm-board or adversely affect something else. If you DO decide to attempt it anyway, there is info on the forums and/or webOS-internals on where/what to download and install.

I do recommend you manually update the PRL data on the comm board if you can by dialing *228 from the phone dialer, and choose the "Program your phone" option. Not a big deal but never hurts if it lets you do it. Beyond that, enjoy your new phone.
    Last edited by sq5; 03/11/2012 at 11:18 PM.
  12.    #12  
    ANyone have any thoughts as to why I can't get a lock on GPS? Works with Goole Services but not with pure GPS.

As a review:

HP Pre 2 UNA, Web OS 2.2.4 (WR), Carrier ID ROW on Verizon Network. Using Comm Board from Pre Plus firmware 1.8.