1.    #1  
    I am in the middle of FrankenPre'ing an unlocked GSM to Verizon. I am in the middle of the COmm Board Swap. So far I 'only' ripped the ribbon cable for the volume rocker on the old VSW Pre Plus . But at least I have the GSM Pre 2 taken apart correctly.

The question is do I just swap the Comm Board, or the whole Bezel. I am waiting to proceed once I get the response. If I have to swap just the Comm Board I assume it means removing the GPS wires.
    Last edited by upsidedown; 03/06/2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: More Questions
    Quote Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
    I am in the middle of FrankenPre'ing an unlocked GSM to Verizon. I am in the middle of the COmm Board Swap. So far I 'only' ripped the ribbon cable for the volume rocker on the old VSW Pre Plus . But at least I have the GSM Pre 2 taken apart correctly.

The question is do I just swap the Comm Board, or the whole Bezel. I am waiting to proceed once I get the response. If I have to swap just the Comm Board I assume it means removing the GPS wires.
    Since the Pre 2 you're transferring into was GSM, you need to swap the whole Bezel (the bezel contains a different antenna for CDMA vs GSM phones), which, as you suggested, is less work to do anyway.

By the way, you can also reassemble and metadoctor your old Pre+ with the comm-board/bezel left over from the Pre 2. I believe there is an app or patch in preware that gives you volume controls on the touch screen as a substitute for your broken rocker.

Otherwise, I'd gladly take that leftover GSM comm-board/bezel off your hands if you don't plan to use it. I've been trying to get my hands on one for some testing. I believe I have an extra VZW comm-board/bezel too if you'd like that in exchange (FYI, putting a VZW comm-board/bezel back into the old Pre+ would also allow you to just use the regular Verizon doctor on that phone again and have it as a usable spare or secondary phone to your FrankenPre2).
    Last edited by sq5; 03/06/2012 at 02:10 PM.
  3.    #3  
    OK. I got the Frankenpre back together and Metadoctored with Verizon 2.1 and it works!

Question 1. The comm board I used came out of a Pre Plus (with cracked front bezel that did not always hold EVDO vs 1x. I thought it was due to the ribbon cable in the Pre Plus but the behavior seems to continue in the FrankenPre. So the qestion is, If I swap the Comm board with another verizon comm board do I have to Metadoctor again?

Question 2. I am having trouble with GPS and when I was doing the hardware swap I had initially disconnected the GPS antennae. I thought I got it all back together. Is there a way to test GPS without taking it all apart again?

Thanks
    OK. I got the Frankenpre back together and Metadoctored with Verizon 2.1 and it works!

Question 1. The comm board I used came out of a Pre Plus (with cracked front bezel that did not always hold EVDO vs 1x. I thought it was due to the ribbon cable in the Pre Plus but the behavior seems to continue in the FrankenPre. So the qestion is, If I swap the Comm board with another verizon comm board do I have to Metadoctor again?

Question 2. I am having trouble with GPS and when I was doing the hardware swap I had initially disconnected the GPS antennae. I thought I got it all back together. Is there a way to test GPS without taking it all apart again?

Thanks
    1. Probably not but it's still a good idea to do anyway. Before you try a different comm though, try updating the PRL on your current one first. That ,ay resolve any EVDO vs. 1x issues you have.

2. Try running the diagnostic tests under the Device info system app. GPS should be part of that.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    1. Probably not but it's still a good idea to do anyway. Before you try a different comm though, try updating the PRL on your current one first. That ,ay resolve any EVDO vs. 1x issues you have.

2. Try running the diagnostic tests under the Device info system app. GPS should be part of that.
    Did I use the wrong Meta Doctor?

I used the FrankenPre2 Verizon Dr. On the Palm Profile the device is reports as a Pre Plus with OS 2.1. The device info screen reports as a P102UNA (which is GSM) with Carrier ROW. SHould I just use the Verizon Pre 2 Doctor as the device is a Pre 2?

Thanks
    Did I use the wrong Meta Doctor?

I used the FrankenPre2 Verizon Dr. On the Palm Profile the device is reports as a Pre Plus with OS 2.1. The device info screen reports as a P102UNA (which is GSM) with Carrier ROW. SHould I just use the Verizon Pre 2 Doctor as the device is a Pre 2?

Thanks
    Though the profile discrepancies shouldn't be a problem, go ahead and try the regular Verizon Pre2 doctor at this point since as you said, you essentially have a Verizon Pre 2 now.