Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alfred86
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Am afraid I know the answer but I'll asked the question anyway...

Recently dropped my FrankenPre Pre 2 accidentally on the ground - the glass screen cracked substantially. Since there was/is a screen protector on (on top) of it - it didn't have a lot of tiny (and potentially cutting/sharp) glass fragments.

Phone still seems to function perfectly - with the exception of the damaged (weird looking) glass screen.

So what are my options to fix it?

I'm guessing either -

a) cannibalize another Pre 2 for the screen (sounds complex and expensive) -

or

b) buy another Verizon Pre 2 - and redo the FrankenPre process to the new/uncracked Pre 2 - i.e. transplanting my original Spring motherboard from my cracked FrankenPre into the new one

Is that it?

Any other possibilities? Anything I'm overlooking?

Would appreciate any thoughts, suggestions, feedback.

Thanxxxxxxx

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    and occasionally Guadalajara
    FrankenPre PRE 2 on Sprint (in USA)
    Original PRE on Telcel (en Mexico)
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!
    Sorry to hear that. I don't have any really useful information for you except this: it doesn't have to be a Verizon Pre 2 that you get as a replacement. A GSM model will work, it'll just need a different meta-doctor to get it up and running.
    Same issue, can't find any posts on the internet about anyone replacing the glass or
    what the options are?
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Those are going to be your options. There aren't any Pre2 replacement parts available for sale, unless you find someone that has the part you need and is willing to part with it. You may want to search the forums or just ask around.

The good news is that you can use any Pre2 so long that the touchscreen and display works properly. So you can just by a cheap one off of eBay.

The bad news is that it does take some work to get the Pre2 down to just the touchscreen and LCD, because the logic board is attached to the back of the display with clips and adhesive. The best option for someone that doesn't fill confident about it is to just FrankenPre a completely new device. If you want to try and just replace the touchscreen and display here is the directions for the original Pre (they are identical when being taken apart): Palm Pre Teardown - Page 2 - iFixit

The Pre and Pre2's are fairly simple to take apart as long as you take your time and don't force anything, but I have also been repairing phones for 5+ years.
    hunland likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by neobaptist View Post
    Those are going to be your options. There aren't any Pre2 replacement parts available for sale, unless you find someone that has the part you need and is willing to part with it. You may want to search the forums or just ask around.

The good news is that you can use any Pre2 so long that the touchscreen and display works properly. So you can just by a cheap one off of eBay.

The bad news is that it does take some work to get the Pre2 down to just the touchscreen and LCD, because the logic board is attached to the back of the display with clips and adhesive. The best option for someone that doesn't fill confident about it is to just FrankenPre a completely new device. If you want to try and just replace the touchscreen and display here is the directions for the original Pre (they are identical when being taken apart): Palm Pre Teardown - Page 2 - iFixit

The Pre and Pre2's are fairly simple to take apart as long as you take your time and don't force anything, but I have also been repairing phones for 5+ years.
    Im having the same problem with my old Pre- Need a new screen/digitizer so I am looking to buy an old Pre that still has a working touchscreen for parts ... Will check ebay hopefully Ill find a cheap one!
    Handspring Visor -> Palm III -> Palm Tungsten T2 -> Palm Tungsten T5 -> Palm Lifedrive -> Palm Pre -> HP Veer -> HP Touchpad -> HP Pre3