1.    #1  
    I'm due for an upgrade at Verizon and I'd love to get the Pre 2.

I currently own a Pre+ that I have loved since the day I got it for free almost two years ago. It still works great, and if not for this upgrade opportunity I wouldn't even feel the need to replace it. I have it running overclocked and all patched up to my liking, and it has served me well.

I'm pretty pumped for the Pre 2, but I have some reservations. When I went into the Verizon store to ask about it, and when I told the salesman that I wanted the Pre 2, he said, in a shocked manner, "Why??"

I'm aware that webOS has been dumped and in the next two years I will probably have minimal, if not zero support for the Pre 2, but that's a risk I'm willing to take. I love webOS and plan on sticking with it.

After mail-in rebates and my upgrade credit, I could get the Pre 2 for $99. Is that worth it? Can I get it cheaper elsewhere?

Will I benefit from webOS going open source by owning a Pre 2?

Opinions? Advice?

Thanks.

P.S. I am aware that there are other phones out there that have far better specs and hardware and cameras and apps and all that nonsense. But right now my Pre+ serves me perfectly well, and I don't need any bells and whistles. I own a camera, so I don't need a great one on my phone. I don't care for apps because I don't use my phone to play games. All I really need from it is email, web, calendar, messaging, and notes. Processor speed, 4G capabilities, megapixels, etc. aren't a huge deal to me.
    Get pre2. I have had mine for a year and it still looks brand new with the glass screen and rubber body. Performance is better than pre also.
    I have both the pre2 and pre3 on Verizon. Both are excellent phones.
    You would be ??? to get a Pre 2 on contract now, locking yourself in for two years. If you want one, buy it off-contract and enjoy it. I had a Pre 2 and loved it but just recently got a HTC Trophy Windows Phone and an very happy with that. But I wouldn't buy that on contract either right now.

As far as WebOS, I have used it and Palms since the beginning (Palm IIIc) and it has been great, but I am seeing writing on the wall. Sorry for the pessimism.
  5.    #5  
    In response to gapost:

Regardless of what phone I choose, I'm sticking with Verizon because I'm on a family plan, and my family wishes to stay on said plan, so getting a Pre 2 on contract wouldn't necessarily "lock me in for two years." I can always revert back to an old phone or buy a different phone off contract and swap it out whenever I choose. I'll be stuck with Verizon for 2 more years regardless.

Do you know of any place I can get a Pre 2 for cheap off contract?
    buy a brand spankin new pre 2 off ebay for less than $150, no contract required. Well worth upgrade if you're attached to webOS.
    Pre2 for over a year and its still rock solid. Go for it.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Yep, ebay is the place to buy one off contract, unless you can find one on craigslist. I see good used ones going for under $100. Really, the Pre 2 is much better than the Pre +. I had mine for a year and it's still in excellent shape. (Can't sell it, business phone). But really, before you make your decision, take a look at all your options. There are some really nice, amazing apps and phones out there on Verizon. (hint windows phone 7 on the trophy).
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    get the pre2 off contract and save the verizon upgrade for something else. I picked up a pre2 in the fall on ebay and it works great, and I know if verizon ever gets another phone I want (I'm looking at you Apollo) I can use the upgrade on that. It'd be cheaper to buy off contract now and save the upgrade later for a brand new device in the future than to do it the other way around.
    OP,

I feel your pain. Had a problem when my trusty but rusty Pre + would not advance beyond the opening splash screen. I sat there facing the prospect of being out of the webOS world. (Don't need a tablet, but would have bought one or two if HP had shown any backbone and there was the promise of support going forward).

I also have a Blackberry and Android phone, but the Pre is may favorite phone to use. I've been holding off from an upgrade as my phone works perfectly well and I'd prefer to spend my coin on the phone webOS will be able to be ported to... eventually, hopefully. I figured that could always buy a new Pre via Craigslist if my current Pre dies before something better comes along.

Happily I was able to get it going after a few tricks. (a Preset Reset problem) but it made me think about the inevitable.. THE END

I know 'we all have to go' at some point (including our technology), but I'm not ready to go elsewhere. I use the Droid for work, and am regularly underwhelmed by it. More often than not, I'll end up whipping out the Pre for responding to e-mail anyway. Forget about the Blackberry, I use it only to monitor the status of our BB servers.

At the same time, as the providers of cloud and web based services drop support for the Pre (Time Inc, NewsRadio, Fandango?- Maybe it's just my installation, etc) OR decide there is no value in including the platform going forward (Rovio) - it becomes less about the hardware (which I can live with) and more about future viability. I don't need Netflix or Shazam, but when you start losing existing services...

This is directly as a result of HP quitting, if they won't back up their own product, why would they expect anyone else to do so. Outside of companies which release API for their services (and the great Homebrewers who develop) there is increasing less I can do with my Pre.. and I'm a little peeved about it... because there is nothing else out there worth my trouble.

I could buy another Droid (it would be my third) all of which have become orphans as the OS left them behind. By the time ICS is available widely, JellyBean will be released. And so far, the user experience is not as good as my old Pre. Or I could go in the 'loving' embrace of Apple.

Just my 2 cents.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Get a Pre 2. Here's why.

-- It's FAR cheaper than Pre 3. As the available Pre 3's become more and more scarce, the price will only get higher. Pre 2 has been recently discontinued. For the next 6 months, it should be far more attainable. I got a NIB Pre 2 on eBay before the holidays for $110. Not even bidding; I just go for "Buy it now" sales. It may have gone up since then, but I can't imagine going past $200, which is what VZW charged me for my contract phone's premium anyway.

-- Compared to the Sprint Pre, it's leaps and bounds faster than stock webOS. I've never seen/used a Pre+, so I have no frame of comparison there.

-- There's not a whole lot in the App Catalog that runs on Pre 3 that DOES not run on Pre 2.

-- With Homebrew Uberkernel, it flies, and doesn't overheat as badly as a Uberkernel installed Pre does after hours of use.

-- Sprint user? FrankenPre your old phone.

I agree with the rationale on saving the VZW upgrade for later (like when 4G use actually matters and not just in major cities... I'm a "country mouse" as it were.) I got one on VZW when they still offered one-year contracts (not anymore) and bought a second Pre 2 for backup in case mine dies. Also saves me dough by killing Total Equipment Protection (I have a backup, so why keep paying on it until my next upgrade?) for $8 off my monthly bill.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think I'm going to scour the internets for the cheapest Pre 2 I can find and save my upgrade credit for sometime in the future.

Can someone explain to me how I may or may not benefit from webOS going open source? I suppose if I save my upgrade credit, I can get a new phone that is compatible sometime in the future and put webOS on it. Is that possible or am I misunderstanding the whole concept?
    You benefit from the possibility of updated software on your device in the future. Keep in mind the timelines for the release of the full source code for open webos so you have an idea of how long you would wait. The drawback for open webos is that of questionable support in the future, which you've already alluded to in your op.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    As far as the upgrade, yeah, that's possible. anything's possible.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Here's what I would do: get the latest and greatest Adroid phone or iPhone for ~ $200
    Sell it on Ebay for ~$500-600

Buy a Pre2 from Ebay or users here for ~$150. All in all, you get the Pre2 and make $150-250 on top of it.
    I have a new Pre2 I'll sell but it's GSM so I don't think that will help you.

Upgrading = renewing your contract = worth about $200-300 you don't want to miss out on.
    That's a fine plan if you can forsee you making your cell phone payments on time for the next two years (one year options are out the window on all the major providers). I like Month-to-month myself, especially since my last 4 jobs have all been temp positions. YMMV.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    DItto - Pre2 is a great phone. I wouldn't hesitate getting another one today.
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    I'm a big fan of the Pre 2, but there's no way in hell I'd sign a new contract for it right now. I'll sell you mine in Like New condition. It's been gently used but not for long, no visible scratches etc. PM me if you're interested as I don't want to violate any forum guidelines since this isn't the marketplace.