1.    #1  
    Last year, I took the decision to get myself into playing around with different platforms, and hands down went along with moving to a WebOS phone with the idea in mind to try out a new operating system than the one being offered by Apple or Google. After thinking about it for weeks, I made the choice of buying a Palm Pixi+ with several hopes that someday this new platform will win my heart over the other ones available on the mobile market. In terms of design it was bit of lacking when it comes to features such as a low camera pixels, low battery, and small screen. However, despite of all of the things that lacked on the phone....there was so much that made me stick to WebOS much longer than I originally was aiming for.

With recent developments(lack thereof) of WebOS with HP abandoning all WebOS hardware to with Windows tablet, and then Palm Pre 3 cancelled. Looks like the time came to move along when it comes to my mobile cellphone, and specially since my old Palm Pixi seems to begging to be put to rest. I'm been wanting to seek a replacement with my old cellphone, looking into the Palm Pre 2 as a way to replace my old Pixi. But with more phones available from different companies which offers far better features than the pre-frankstein 2 , the questions comes to mind with me buying a palm pre 2 be a right decision or wrongful one ? OR should I forget WebOS as my cellphone choice to move to Android phones with HTC ?
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    The Pre2 is definitely a capable handset, but probably still lacking in terms of hardware compared to some newer devices. Take a look at the Pre3, there are still some handsets available unlocked on eBay and here on the forums selling for $250 and up, it's a great device with all the modern specs. On the other hand, you could invest in a device such as the Evo 3D or a device that has porting potential, and port webOS over once it's open sourced.
    pre2 is more than capable of handling your day to day duties

text
    scheduling

the limited apps are top quality and very functional ...I save 10 dollars a month on sprint and have recouped 60 bucks so far.....the pre2 size speed and workmanship will keep you happy till they finalize the open source and what it will do for the webOS Nation
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    I recently switched from the Pre- to a Pre 2 and couldn't be happier.

I was very surprised how much faster and smoother it is compared to my overclocked Pre-. I haven't bothered to overclock the Pre 2 because it just doesn't need it. I love still having a physical keyboard and it's small enough to be comfortable in my front pocket. I just couldn't bring myself to buy a phone that's any bigger and for that reason I wouldn't even consider the Pre 3 an option if I could get it running on Sprint.

My wife and 2 daughters have the iPhone 4s and another daughter has an Evo. I'm only jealous of their auto-focus cameras - the 4S camera is incredible - and Shazam. Not enough to make me switch though. I love my Pre 2.
    Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts
    Based on your description, I think you should buy a Pre 2 off-contract on eBay. If you really like the gesture interface, want a higher specs phone, and are willing to wait a few months, then I'd recommend trying to get RIM's first Blackberry BBX/10 OS smartphone. (The BBX/10 OS UI is very similar to the Blackberry QNX OS that is on the Blackberry Playbook, and BB QNX OS has an interface similar to webOS.)

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303
    pre 2 works well as my second phone. Its especially good if you have a Touchpad. People think its really cool that I get all my texts on both devices (and calls too).
    what carrier are you on? The pre2 and pre3 are both outstanding devices. Even the Veer is really cool.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
    Based on your description, I think you should buy a Pre 2 off-contract on eBay. If you really like the gesture interface, want a higher specs phone, and are willing to wait a few months, then I'd recommend trying to get RIM's first Blackberry BBX/10 OS smartphone. (The BBX/10 OS UI is very similar to the Blackberry QNX OS that is on the Blackberry Playbook, and BB QNX OS has an interface similar to webOS.)
    CHIP72 :

That's a great idea, should definitely be looking into eBay to get a palm pre 2 off contract pricing. While looking into Amazon for a brand new Palm Pre 2 device, but the price that I found was around $189.00. Does that price seems reasonable for a device that old/out-dated in terms of hardware ? Could I find something much cheaper on eBay, when it comes to finding a nice deal for that specific phone ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    what carrier are you on? The pre2 and pre3 are both outstanding devices. Even the Veer is really cool.
    Cantaffordit :

My current mobile carrier, is Verizon Wireless. Been sticking around that network, since that is the only network that the majority of WebOS devices are able to function. I have considered a Veer, but after careful consideration decided to move for a device with a larger screen size. Besides, around my network those devices like the Veer and Palm Pre 3 aren't compatible with Verizon. I have seen some CDMA version phones of Palm Pre 3 on eBay, but i don't have much faith on those sellers.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts
    PalmPixi_User23 - back in mid-December I bought a VZW Palm Pre 2 new in sealed box for $125 including shipping on eBay. (I did so via an auction; you can almost always get better deals via auctions rather than the "Buy It Now" option.) I can't speak for the Pre 2 on other carriers (which besides Verizon I think is only AT&T), but I wouldn't pay more than $150 off-contract.

IMO, if you like webOS a lot, buying a new Pre 2 for under $150 off-contract is a no-brainer. I would think that at a minimum you should be able to get a year's worth of use out of the phone, and by buying it off-contract, you're not locked into the Pre 2 (or your carrier) for 2 years. Who knows, maybe a company like HTC, ZTE, or Huawei will release a webOS smartphone by early to mid-2013 (think the odds are less than 50/50 that will happen, but IMO it wouldn't be too surprising if it did happen).

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    I have been a Palm Phone fan for a long time and had most of the Palm phones. I had the Pre 2 for a year and just got a Windows Phone from Verizon, the HTC Trophy. I don't want to talk bad about Palm because they have a great OS and some nice features. But really, with the future of Palm in doubt, take a look at what else is out there before you make your decision. Read the reviews on Verizon Wireless of the smartphone. I didn't want an android or an iphone so I looked at WP. I have used my Trophy a lot today with data and wi-fi on (but not connected). It is at 12 hours and I am still over 20% battery. If I was using my Pre 2, it would be that after six hours or less. The other thing I can say is the gps on the Trophy starts up in Maps and finds my location on the open road in less than 10 seconds. And it is smooth and fast in all functions and music search and bar code scans and text copying are all built in. All I say is take a look at what other phones are out there and what they can do before you decide. I really didn't know what I was missing, trying to be loyal to Palm and the nice OS. Oh, I still have a nice Touchpad!
    Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts
    Because it was mentioned in this thread, I'll also mention that I also have an HTC Trophy and I also really, really like Windows Phone OS (my favorite mobile OS). Having said that, if you are on Verizon I wouldn't advise going with a Windows Phone until Verizon beefs up its lineup (currently has only the Trophy, which is a very good smartphone but one that's been around awhile).

Other notable devices:
    pues yo no pierdo las esperanza de que el WEBOS aparesca con muchas sorpresas en codigo abierto...

I believe in WEBOS....I believe in a open code and I am sure that new apps is coming next...