1.    #1  
    In regards to WebOS' native browser, is there a Ctrl+F function or a way to pop up the address bar no matter where you are on the certain page?

I've tried finding an answer, but no such luck.

PS: With Open WebOS on its way, are we expecting this for Pre2 as well? Can we also expect apps that should be regarded as upgrades and free....to actually be free? (ex: Music Player Remix, Complete Browser, TS Alarm, Virtual Keyboard) Stuff like that.

Basically, do you think WebOS will follow in Androids footsteps or Iphones?
    Does pressing Web (top-left corner), then Add Bookmark work for you? or you can press Share to send the link to someone else via email. That's the only way i can think of to view the address without scrolling to the top.

As for your PS's ....are we expecting what, CTRL-F? I'm not expecting it. There are bigger fish to fry imo.

The rest I'm not sure what you're getting at...first off Music Player Remix was only free as a beta through Preware.....for well over a year.....before Dan decided he had enough bug fixes/features to go full scale as a paid app.(incidentally you can still get the preware version, but I believe it's not fullsize....I paid for it, and it's worth every penny.)

I have never paid for an update, but I have paid to go from trial version, to paid version.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by following in iOS or Android's footsteps. Possibly neither, it will make it's own trail and do its own thing.........like it always has.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Does pressing Web (top-left corner), then Add Bookmark work for you? or you can press Share to send the link to someone else via email. That's the only way i can think of to view the address without scrolling to the top.

As for your PS's ....are we expecting what, CTRL-F? I'm not expecting it. There are bigger fish to fry imo.

The rest I'm not sure what you're getting at...first off Music Player Remix was only free as a beta through Preware.....for well over a year.....before Dan decided he had enough bug fixes/features to go full scale as a paid app.(incidentally you can still get the preware version, but I believe it's not fullsize....I paid for it, and it's worth every penny.)

I have never paid for an update, but I have paid to go from trial version, to paid version.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by following in iOS or Android's footsteps. Possibly neither, it will make it's own trail and do its own thing.........like it always has.

There are certanly "bigger fish to fry" but I'm meerely inquiring about the little things, Ctrl + F in a browser is about as miniscule as it can get, kinda makes you go "wth?" when you find out it's not there. Thanks for clearing that up though.

I've used plenty of OS' and phones before, I know what to expect from a crappy phone (Motorola W233) and a high-end, at its time, phone (Motorola Milestone). Paying for something as silly as a Music App or Alarm that comes full featured (or free update) from other phones/OS', is sort of insult to me. When you know what's out there, you do kind of go, wth? seriously? at some of the things WebOS developers offer, even for the lowest price.

What I meant by iOS is that it's a sleek OS with crappy performance and crappy apps which in turn, most are paid. On the other hand, Android, sluggish performance but amazing apps for free. Anyone that has used both can vouche for that. I've noticed a few developers ARE indeed trying to get Android on either the TouchPad or Palm phones (seems like a waste of time unless TouchPad decides to support Tegra).

This is not meant to be a flame of anykind, I believe every phone/OS should be able to take criticism where it's due and when it's true. Thanks for claryfing the WebBrowser issue though, the other stuff are just things I was wondering about and didn't want to start 20 threads =p.
    Do any other mobile browsers have a find-in-page option? There's a patch that adds it to the TouchPad browser, I think.

A TouchPad can't just "support" Tegra. Tegra is a graphics processor and CPU series. Also, the TouchPad's processor and GPU is not much lower powered than a Tegra 2.

iOS has literally hundreds, possibly even -thousands- of paid alarm clock and music apps. I've never looked on Android, because their Market app is a completely useless pile of poo.

Android apps also have a much higher tendency to crash and/or lockup -- it's seriously the only app catalog out of all of them that i'm on (which I think is all of them except Microsoft's), which provides a crash/freeze counter for your app automatically. Presumably, the others don't need that. iOS apps rarely crash (except after a major operating system upgrade, before everyone has rebuilt their apps.. sigh). I don't think I've ever seen a webOS app crash.

I don't think iOS even comes -with- a clock app, it merely has an "Alarm" setting somewhere in the preferences.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Do any other mobile browsers have a find-in-page option? There's a patch that adds it to the TouchPad browser, I think.

A TouchPad can't just "support" Tegra. Tegra is a graphics processor and CPU series. Also, the TouchPad's processor and GPU is not much lower powered than a Tegra 2.

iOS has literally hundreds, possibly even -thousands- of paid alarm clock and music apps. I've never looked on Android, because their Market app is a completely useless pile of poo.

Android apps also have a much higher tendency to crash and/or lockup -- it's seriously the only app catalog out of all of them that i'm on (which I think is all of them except Microsoft's), which provides a crash/freeze counter for your app automatically. Presumably, the others don't need that. iOS apps rarely crash (except after a major operating system upgrade, before everyone has rebuilt their apps.. sigh). I don't think I've ever seen a webOS app crash.

I don't think iOS even comes -with- a clock app, it merely has an "Alarm" setting somewhere in the preferences.
    I know of the Dolphin Browser for Android that has that and much more, it's kind of like Mozilla/Chrome (being able to add extensions and so forth, oh and it's free)

That's what I meant about WebOS following iOS footprints, paid everything, from the simplest of apps to the most complicated. Androids Market app is far more advanced and anyone that has used it would've immediately installed Alarm Clock Plus (also free), not to mention the numerous upgrades/updates to better the Native Programs.

Now I can't praise Android that much, Google has stuffed so much into them that it's not really a fair competition, and now NVidia is getting in on the action as well. I see Android as PC and iOS/WebOS as a Mac. Settings over Sleekness, I'd rather have settings.

Apperantly Google is getting hard into Windows Phone as well, so I'm wondering, with the new Open WebOS, will the developers give phone manufacturers something of likeness? Free (actually good) apps or paid apps. The more people use the apps, the more ppl use the phone/OS the more ppl talk about it. WebOS has been undercover so much is because everything is paid, considering what's out there these days, it's an embarasment (no bluetooth support? it's 2012)

In any case, the topic has digressed, but yes, Ctrl + F in a browser is a far outdated feature. If you're going to compare WebOS to iOS then you're comparing WebOS to WebOS, keep that in mind.

___Edit

You must've gotten your information wrong.

Iconia/Tegra 2 runs at 2Ghz, 2GB RAM, 8Core GPU (Geforce), 12MP Camera, 5MP Camera (2cameras)....supports about every kind of video format you throught at it.

Touchpad at 1.2GHz clock speed, 1.3 MP camera...and not much else.

Sources:NVIDIA Tegra 2
    TouchPad Specs, Reviews, & Latest News | HP | The Verge

Did you really try and say that TP is not far from Tegra 2?

The reason why I mentioned it's useless for developers to even try to get Android on the 3.x or 2.x WebOS is because of Tegra 2, there'll be more and more apps that will function solely on that. Just like you require a Gmail Account, you'll require something else from NVidia, it's innevitable. WebOS is lost =p
    Last edited by Revolutie; 02/27/2012 at 02:47 AM.
    You can't even remotely compare completely different chip architectures merely by comparing their clock speed.

I've done actual benchmarks with actual 3D benchmark software, which is what the Tegra 2 is -best- at, and at 1.5Ghz, the TouchPad typically runs a few frames per-second behind the Tegra 2 in full 3D benchmarks.

Very, very few people are making Tegra-only apps. Tegra is just one of -many- CPU architectures that Android runs on. The people who -are- making Tegra-only apps are pretty much 3D game companies, who do not want to waste their money and time doing QA on literally dozens of devices that are not necessarily capable of running high-end 3D games to the standards that is needed for whatever game that is. And as other manufacturers get high-end 3D mobile hardware out, the number of Tegra only apps will only decrease.

You said that it is silly to pay for a music or alarm app, as full featured ones come with all of the OS's -- but they don't. People buy them because of two reasons -- either the ones that do come with some systems are insufficiently featured, or they need something quite different from the ones that come with the systems. (or they don't come with the systems at all)

I'd buy an alarm clock for webOS, if it were possible to support features such as "automatic volume adjustment", which is just not possible due to the security restrictions impose upon the device at the moment -- allowing software to adjust the hardware volume setting is a security violation. I know to some people it sounds ridiculous, but I also know where Palm is coming from on that -- how about someone writes an app that mutes all your sounds, and then starts making phone calls to random numbers in your phone book?

I did actually purchase a very nice iPad alarm clock, and I'm quite happy with it. It does support the volume adjustment features that I like. If HP ever does allow a program to do volume adjustment, then I will write my own alarm clock program for webOS, and I wouldn't be surprised if that were far, far more popular of a purchase than my rather niche market apps that I already have.

So, what I'm really reading out of this, is that you're angry because people won't write free software for you.

If you want free apps, go and write them. There's virtually NO barrier to entry to writing apps for webOS, unlike iOS and Android. There's no money down, the required bits of software are a HELL of a lot easier to operate, and there's a lot less required knowledge to get into it.

I've been an open source developer for years, I've written free software for years, and I still give away lots of free code to people, but my time is worth more than free. First and foremost, I write apps that I want to use - and that's why I haven't just cloned as much of the iOS app catalog as I can possibly churn out - but I spend my time doing it, and my time is valuable. I spent 2 months working full-time on GVoice, I spent a month full time on XO, and I still spend quite a lot of my time that I'm not working for my new clients, working on improving both of those apps . . and partially as a gesture of good will towards all those who have supported me, I've continued to make all of those updates free.

There are good reasons to make apps that are free, but many Android and iOS users are now conditioned to believe that everything should be free or 99c. The rest of the world doesn't work like that, the rest of us still work on sane economic principles. A lot of Android and iOS devs believe that one day, they'll make that 99c app that sells a million copies, and makes them rich. But increasing demand on quality for 99c software, means that they may sink half of that 700k made into the app just developing it! Only a very small number of them actually will make it big with a 99c app. The rest of us have to recoup our costs developing. I doubt I'll ever get back enough money to equal the value of the time I've invested in GVoice and XO, but on the bright side -- most people who have spent the $2-$3 that I ask for those apps, has agreed that those are well worth the money spent.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Interesting that you think iOS has crappy performance, and Android sluggish performance. What's your take on webOS then?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel