webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > App Catalog in India
App Catalog in India
Like Tree2Likes

Old 02/22/2012, 11:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hello
I am from India. I bought a factory unlocked Pre 2 from ebay, which is in transit to me, right now. I have been looking at the forum and found out that App Catalog Access is location locked, which is set when you first make palm profile, location will be determined by the carrier. What I get is that if I install any Indian Carrier SIM card and setup palm profile, I would be locked to India as location forever and won't be able to access US App Catalog.

Is that correct ? Is there any way I can have access to US App Catalog ? Like setting up palm profile by inserting a US Carrier SIM, etc.

I already have a Veer, which I bought from ebay as well, but it was not factory unlocked, rather seller must have unlocked it himself. I am not sure, but when I first powered on Veer, I made palm profile with Indian Carrier SIM inside, and my palm profile shows a US number and US as country. I haven't used Veer yet, so I don't know much about App Catalog for now.

Thanks
nymt2theone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2012, 05:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Follow the instructions very carefully and exactly as mentioned in the 1st post of the following thread: --> Global Paid App Catalog Access for new unlocked GSM Pre 2/Pre 3/Veer (using Impostah)

PS: DO NOT INSERT YOUR INDIAN SIM CARD IN THE PHONE, BEFORE YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE LINKED THREAD ABOVE.

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
Sanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2012, 08:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
Follow the instructions very carefully and exactly as mentioned in the 1st post of the following thread: --> Global Paid App Catalog Access for new unlocked GSM Pre 2/Pre 3/Veer (using Impostah)

PS: DO NOT INSERT YOUR INDIAN SIM CARD IN THE PHONE, BEFORE YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE LINKED THREAD ABOVE.
This actually works for an Indian credit card?
Old 02/23/2012, 12:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Sanjay.

I guess Credit Card from India might be an issue, I will have to find a way around it as well. Any ideas ?
Old 02/23/2012, 10:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
This actually works for an Indian credit card?
I thought the OP's concern was having access to the US App catalog. For that this works just fine. But, as far as I know you need an US address and US credit/debit card, to make purchases form the US App catalog. An Indian credit card will not do.

Old 02/23/2012, 10:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rnp

Use Shop the USA - Shop America - International Delivery - Online USA Shopping - usunlocked.com to create a USA virtual pre paid card, and charge using Paypal...

Best Regards...
Old 02/23/2012, 12:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

glad to see ,more n more indian people on forum
Old 02/23/2012, 12:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

@RPN
Thanks, I was looking for something like that.
Old 02/23/2012, 09:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
I thought the OP's concern was having access to the US App catalog. For that this works just fine. But, as far as I know you need an US address and US credit/debit card, to make purchases form the US App catalog. An Indian credit card will not do.
I have a Pre 2 and the catalog is visible to me ($0.99 and all) without the "DON'T put your SIM in" drill. If I had a US credit card, I could buy all the apps on the catalog. But I'm from a poor third-world country, and I can't.

I can also switch between the US catalog and UK catalog by changing my profile (and a reset inbetween). (I have two profiles for my Pre 2s....

For what it's worth, the Pre 2s are EU (UK) version unlocked.
Old 02/23/2012, 11:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I have a Pre 2 and the catalog is visible to me ($0.99 and all) without the "DON'T put your SIM in" drill. If I had a US credit card, I could buy all the apps on the catalog. But I'm from a poor third-world country, and I can't.

I can also switch between the US catalog and UK catalog by changing my profile (and a reset inbetween). (I have two profiles for my Pre 2s....

For what it's worth, the Pre 2s are EU (UK) version unlocked.
hey how u got PRE2 uk version , i mean u got it thro ur friends over there or thro Ebay or some other website ,bcoz its hard to find pre2 or for that matter any other webos devices of euro version
Old 02/24/2012, 12:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovivekmishra View Post
hey how u got PRE2 uk version , i mean u got it thro ur friends over there or thro Ebay or some other website ,bcoz its hard to find pre2 or for that matter any other webos devices of euro version
I got both my Pre 2s on eBay.in... Paid a hefty premium for one of them, though, when the Pre 2 was just launched. They (UK versions) are still to be found on eBay, I think.
Old 02/24/2012, 12:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
I got both my Pre 2s on eBay.in... Paid a hefty premium for one of them, though, when the Pre 2 was just launched. They (UK versions) are still to be found on eBay, I think.
and 3g must b working absolutely fine on ur UK ver PRE2 ,i believe
reason i asked bcoz i have PRE2 but US version and 3g doesn't work , u know anyone who has 3g working on US version devices..i know it'll not work bcoz of bandwidth issues but still i was hoping somehow if anyone has managed that though its a wishful thinking
Old 02/24/2012, 12:51 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovivekmishra View Post
and 3g must b working absolutely fine on ur UK ver PRE2 ,i believe
reason i asked bcoz i have PRE2 but US version and 3g doesn't work , u know anyone who has 3g working on US version devices..i know it'll not work bcoz of bandwidth issues but still i was hoping somehow if anyone has managed that though its a wishful thinking
It is impossible to get 3G working in India on the US Pre2.

Old 02/24/2012, 01:07 AM   #14 (permalink)

I got Veer off ebay, 3G works with BSNL SIM. I setup palm profile through it.

I don't know about Pre2, but I hope I can get its 3G working. Else navigation would be useless on Edge speeds. I hope if 3G doesn't work, atleast Maps support offline navigation with pre downloaded maps.

I guess buying Pre2 might prove to be a blunder in the end. I loved WebOS interface in Veer and so I bought Pre 2.

Its really frustrating to see Apple, HP ignoring Indian Market. Had HP released their products in India officially, sure there would have been great response.
Old 02/24/2012, 01:13 AM   #15 (permalink)

well thanks sanjay for ur encouraging words !! ..u put it soo directly and thrashed all my hope ..jus kidding..
Old 02/24/2012, 01:24 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymt2theone View Post
I got Veer off ebay, 3G works with BSNL SIM. I setup palm profile through it.

I don't know about Pre2, but I hope I can get its 3G working. Else navigation would be useless on Edge speeds. I hope if 3G doesn't work, atleast Maps support offline navigation with pre downloaded maps.

I guess buying Pre2 might prove to be a blunder in the end. I loved WebOS interface in Veer and so I bought Pre 2.

Its really frustrating to see Apple, HP ignoring Indian Market. Had HP released their products in India officially, sure there would have been great response.
ur veer is UK version or US ?? if it is US i'll buy one immediately ,and how u got it working with BSNL ??i mean u must have inserted already activated 3gSIM in veer ,it worked straight without any setting changes ? bcoz i was thinking u need to update ur career settings in the phone esp for BSNL sim to work, others like vodafone n airtel works straight
I agree with ur point that HP ignored Indian Market and if they had released their products in India officially, sure there would have been great response esp with pixi in 7-8k and veer in 12-13k price range ,though pixi back cover is crap ..i very strongly believe they would have given samsung a good fight with pixi n veer
Old 02/24/2012, 07:10 AM   #17 (permalink)

@tovivekmishra

Its a US edition - Veer 4G from AT & T.
I got it from ebay.com (not ebay.in). It came unlocked by seller. I was able to use BSNL 3G without any settings, and I had never ever activated 3G on BSNL earlier. I was using that SIM on a Nokia feature phone that was pretty elementary (Nokia phone didn't even had internet access).

Infact inside the Veer's box, the seller left a note about absolute necessity to insert a Data Enabled SIM card for setting up palm profile, and I never saw the note. I was too excited to power it up, so I just inserted the BSNL SIM and to my surprise, I could setup palm profile and 3G icon on top corner of Veer appeared.

Now Veer's 3G band and Pre2's 3G band are same, so I hope atleast I can get 3G access by BSNL on Pre 2, if not on Docomo or Vodafone.
Old 02/24/2012, 07:16 AM   #18 (permalink)

On that note of HP ignoring India, they might have missed a big point.
I don't think Indians like US/Europeans are too focused on OS, Apps, etc. Most of them don't. Thats the reason still Nokia is top seller in India and there is a big huge feature phone market in India.
People even go for Symbian due to cheaper rates or more features as compared to Android/iOS.

So had HP introduced webos phones in India, they would have sold in numbers if price was competitive. Nobody would have bothered to look into number of apps or future of OS, they would have been happy about getting a Touch Smartphone with OS.
Old 02/24/2012, 09:14 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
@tovivekmishra

Its a US edition - Veer 4G from AT & T.
I got it from ebay.com (not ebay.in). It came unlocked by seller. I was able to use BSNL 3G without any settings, and I had never ever activated 3G on BSNL earlier. I was using that SIM on a Nokia feature phone that was pretty elementary (Nokia phone didn't even had internet access).

Infact inside the Veer's box, the seller left a note about absolute necessity to insert a Data Enabled SIM card for setting up palm profile, and I never saw the note. I was too excited to power it up, so I just inserted the BSNL SIM and to my surprise, I could setup palm profile and 3G icon on top corner of Veer appeared.

Now Veer's 3G band and Pre2's 3G band are same, so I hope atleast I can get 3G access by BSNL on Pre 2, if not on Docomo or Vodafone.
regarding ur veer ..i could not be more excited if its true..but no offense to u.. i have tried every SIM in pixi n pre2 (i didn't try bsnl in pre2 bcoz i got tired ) and they all dont work if data is not pre-activated on them n it doesn't receive settings from the service providers OTA (u get a msg that ur fone is not supported ) n u cant do it by manual settings either .
Also calling cust care is total joke as they have no clue about these phones.. one of them asked me if it is some Chinese set ..what an awareness about a product from Hp..
even though if u go on airtel ,aircel,vodafone sites etc ,they all have listed Hp fones as 3g supported devices i.e. when u enter ur fone model no. to test 3g compatibility of ur fone with the service provider..
anyway pl share ur 3g exp on PRE2 after u get that..i wud love hear that
Old 02/24/2012, 09:41 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
On that note of HP ignoring India, they might have missed a big point.
I don't think Indians like US/Europeans are too focused on OS, Apps, etc. Most of them don't. Thats the reason still Nokia is top seller in India and there is a big huge feature phone market in India.
People even go for Symbian due to cheaper rates or more features as compared to Android/iOS.

So had HP introduced webos phones in India, they would have sold in numbers if price was competitive. Nobody would have bothered to look into number of apps or future of OS, they would have been happy about getting a Touch Smartphone with OS.
i agree with u on we Indians being price sensitive ..nokia may be or still ruling in feature fone market but in smartfone business they r lagging faaaar behind....they can be back in the game if they can get the price right for their basic lumia fones may b in 10k range..
regd OS point , webOS never got the chance to compete in asian market ,asian market is contributing in a very significant n big way to the android sales numbers ,people dont have choice in these market..apple is way too costly to think about so what they'll buy..ofcourse android fone or may b windows/blackberry or some feature fone.
For me webOS does basic tasks like notifications , multitasking in a very beautiful and elegant way..and ofcourse there is awesome gesture feature (which i believe is still to b beaten by even the costliest fones ) and they matter to me most...even i am not much an app person..(mayb i dont know abt them...but what i need i have already got them in app catalog )and these would have been real crowd pullers ..had they ever been launched in these markets ..so u r right HP missed a very very big point not launching in asian markets..

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0