Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #41  
    BTW Fellow Indians

Which Shipping method do you use while ordering phones ? I have had poor experiences with USPS Priority Mail and have to use expensive USPS Express service. It costs me INR 2,000 or more for shipping.

UPS/DHL are very steep as well.

Sometimes Shipping Charges break the deal we might get on ebay.
    Quote Originally Posted by nymt2theone View Post
    BTW Fellow Indians

Which Shipping method do you use while ordering {anything}.
    1) Everything is expensive (in India, after all we have the richest politicians).

2) Shipping method depends on your requirement.

3) Cheapest is to get a friend to carry the item.

4) Worst is mail/ courier, where you pay import duty (even if not applicable) and local taxes (even if not applicable) and "service charges" (even if not applicable). In all cases the courier gets richer. In some cases "babus" get richer.
    Game over!
    tovivekmishra likes this.
    even i u got decent deal on PRE3... even i never liked sliders but now m used to it......neway..
    connectify with XP...u may read this
    Does Connectify run on Windows Vista or Windows XP? : Connectify Support

and also the link mentioned in that ...
    probl is i can connect..using connectify .. n i see it also in my PC but my pre2 doesnt find it only ..forget about pairing...i think ...pre2 doesnt have ad-hoc mode...
    i can connect nmy XP PC as well as PRE2 to other laptop running win 7 using BSNL data card and surf internet on all three devices....
    pixi plus (webOS 2.1)>pre2>HP Veer>touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    1) Everything is expensive (in India, after all we have the richest politicians).

4) Worst is mail/ courier, where you pay import duty (even if not applicable) and local taxes (even if not applicable) and "service charges" (even if not applicable). In all cases the courier gets richer. In some cases "babus" get richer.
    nice one...... lol
    u can club other items in the same box..dont know whether it is USPS Priority Mail OR USPS Express service ..it cost around 45$ from US n u can ship items weighing upto 20lbs...hope m correct..n 45$ covers everythiing..shipping....taxes/duty etc
    OT -
    Usually i get all my stuffs via relatives from UK and USA.
    But i have ordered Touchpad and few other accessories from US and UK ebay. via Freight Forwarder.

Shop and Ship :: Home

ShopandShip will provide you 3 Address USA,UK and China. Which is kind of your personal address in respective countries.

Lifetime Membership fee is 5$.

Shipping is first 500 Gms - 10$(500INR Approx) and 8 USD for every aditional 500 gms+10.3 % service tax
    Regarding customs they will try to clear your item as a gift if it under 150$.

I have bought Samsung focus for 7000 ( 500 Shipping + 1.3% Custom duty on mobile phone)

There are many such companies in India now. I found shop and ship is the best.
  7.    #47  

You nailed it. Bad thing is I don't have a relative abroad. I get things from my client/friend.

Worst part of Indian Customs is that they write you a POSTCARD (yes a postcard) if your package is frozen by them. It takes 3-4 weeks for a POSTCARD to reach you, thanks to Indian Post. There is a phone number written on the Package, but they write a post card.

Then they ask you to pay them a visit in person. I am from Rajkot, Gujarat and Foreign Post Office in Gujarat is in Ahmedabad. 250 KM in another city. You can't fax documents, can't sent them in mail. You have to present the documents to Customs in person.

I have traveled twice to another city, to get my package released. And once you go there to get it release, they wouldn't give it to you, they will then ship it via Indian Post to your address.

DHL/UPS gets customs clearance but as said they beat the purpose of deal on Cell Phone Price by their own high shipping rates.

I get pretty nervous when Tracking shows Package is in Customs Clearance.
    @nick
    u should check this ..
    Shop Abroad on any U.S. websites from India, like Amazon, Walmart, Target and enjoy the lowest possible International shipping rates, fast delivery, hassle-free duty clearance and promotions!! Get a U.S. address, request or create your own quote.

@nymt2theone
    u scared me now..m getting one parcel from US through USPS Priority Mail ..it cost me around 47.95$...items are worth around 200$..
    pl tellme what i should be expecting in worst case scenario...n how to track them once the item reaches india
    Quote Originally Posted by nick86 View Post
    OT -
    Usually i get all my stuffs via relatives from UK and USA.
    But i have ordered Touchpad and few other accessories from US and UK ebay. via Freight Forwarder.

Shop and Ship :: Home

ShopandShip will provide you 3 Address USA,UK and China. Which is kind of your personal address in respective countries.

Lifetime Membership fee is 5$.

Shipping is first 500 Gms - 10$(500INR Approx) and 8 USD for every aditional 500 gms+10.3 % service tax
    Regarding customs they will try to clear your item as a gift if it under 150$.

I have bought Samsung focus for 7000 ( 500 Shipping + 1.3% Custom duty on mobile phone)

There are many such companies in India now. I found shop and ship is the best.
    7k for Samsung focus is a great deal.....how u got it.. on ebay.??..through which seller ?? ..pl share with us..
  10.    #50  
    @Vivekmishra

In the same boat brother.

My package is right now in Indian Customs, since last couple of days. If it doesn't get out from there tomorrow, my nightmare will be true.

You should be able to see the tracking of package on USPS.com, even when Package is in transit in India. They would show you when Package is going into Customs and when Package is going out of Customs. Give 3 days for Customs Clearance. If it still doesn't get out of Customs, its time to investigate. Even if USPS Tracking doesn't show Customs in/out status, least it would show is that Package is in India. Won't take a week for Package to be in/out of Customs, so thats your marker.

Find which regional customs office (called "Foreign Postoffice") process packages for your region. Call them and provide them with you USPS receipt number, they would let you know the status. If its frozen, they would let you know about further procedure. Mostly you would be required to furnish a copy of Invoice and a Declaration (purpose and use of items inside package).

My experience is that if there is no Invoice attached to package or the price declared on USPS receipt is too less as compared to size of package, Customs will freeze it.

I have had 10+ package delivered to me via USPS. USPS First Class (or the cheapest mode) is no good. It doesn't show tracking.

Priority Mail is good - I use it most of times, but I tend to use Express Mail if items are costly.
    @Vivekmishra

In the same boat brother.

My package is right now in Indian Customs, since last couple of days. If it doesn't get out from there tomorrow, my nightmare will be true.

You should be able to see the tracking of package on USPS.com, even when Package is in transit in India. They would show you when Package is going into Customs and when Package is going out of Customs. Give 3 days for Customs Clearance. If it still doesn't get out of Customs, its time to investigate. Even if USPS Tracking doesn't show Customs in/out status, least it would show is that Package is in India. Won't take a week for Package to be in/out of Customs, so thats your marker.

Find which regional customs office (called "Foreign Postoffice") process packages for your region. Call them and provide them with you USPS receipt number, they would let you know the status. If its frozen, they would let you know about further procedure. Mostly you would be required to furnish a copy of Invoice and a Declaration (purpose and use of items inside package).

My experience is that if there is no Invoice attached to package or the price declared on USPS receipt is too less as compared to size of package, Customs will freeze it.

I have had 10+ package delivered to me via USPS. USPS First Class (or the cheapest mode) is no good. It doesn't show tracking.

Priority Mail is good - I use it most of times, but I tend to use Express Mail if items are costly.
    thanks a lot buddy.....for sharing these valuable information...i'll act accordingly..
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    That is incorrect, at least as far as the US Veer and US Pre2 are concerned. The US Veer & Pre3 support 3G in India, whereas the US Pre2 does NOT. ALL cellphone service providers in India are limited to using the 2100 Mhz band for 3G. Thus, if 3G works with BSNL, then it will work with Vodafone, Airtel, Docomo, etc. etc.

YES, 3G in India will work with all European phones. This is because both Indian and Europe use the 2100 Mhz band for 3G. As a matter of fact, the vast majority of the world uses the 2100 Mhz band for their 3G.
    Dear sanjay, i have got one veer today (US model on AT&T ,model no is P160UNA ) but 3g is not working on this..m using Tata docomo SIM . i tried two manual setting also i.e. tata.docomo.internet and tatadocomo3g ..but both are not working....any suggestions ?
    @nymt2theone
    did u do any manual settings for BSNL ?? u r sure ur veer is US version i.e. cud u confirm ur model no ?? is it P160UEU ?? m feeling sad ..i was kind of hoping that atleast i'll get 3g in veer ..but here also no luck ? pl help guys..
  13.    #53  
    @vivekmishra

Where the hell do they write the model number ? I guess I will have to power on the Veer to get the model number.

I never had to do any manual settings for BSNL 3G.
    pl dont get me wrong , i just want to be confirmed if m having the right device ....
    u can look for model no on the back side mirror like shining surface ,along with the bar code it is mentioned over there ,
    OR u can find by going in device info>more info>hardware>model
  15.    #55  
    @vivekmishra

Never mind. Its that I don't use my Veer or Pre 2 as of now. Veer is pending because I am waiting for Mobile Number Portability from Indicom to Vodafone. Pre 2 - I have to do a long procedure for getting US App Catalog.

Plus Pre 2 has Model Number written on box, but Veer hasn't. I guess thats because Pre 2 is unlocked while Veer is AT & T.

I looked up the model number.

Its Veer 4G - P160UNA
  16.    #56  
    @vivekmishra

A new experience.

3G works on Veer with BSNL, but not with Vodafone. I have confirmed it again. I guess either a mobile plan has to be activated in Vodafone or some manual network settings are required. Although Vodafone people told me that 3G is enabled on SIM by default, so it may be network settings.

Hope this helps.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Discussion on Palm/ HP ignoring the Indian market is all very interesting, and I've myself commented so elsewhere in these forums... But thinking back, I don't think the Indian market is ready for innovative and cutting-edge products such as the Pre. It's too driven by (idiotic) trends. Even today, Nokia is the top choice (despite them making some of the worst phones), and lately one sees an explosion of Samsung phones (despite them making some of the worst phones) etc.

I do think Palm would have done due-diligence before rolling out their marketing plan, and our half-baked knee-jerk reactions may be quiet off the mark. They had bet their money on it, after all.
    I believe Palm/HP blew big time on not thinking about India. Had they introduced Pre in India they would have been solvent. All HP needed to do was to market the webOS as true multi tasking devices. Average Indian smartphone user is more educated than a US consumer. They would become big fans of the OS.

I sent three Veers as gifts to India. One to an IT guy, one to a business man and one to a junior in Med School. All three are going nuts over it even after six months. I received requests to buy more. They loved the multitasking part of it. The main complaint was Battery and data usage.
    @vivekmishra

A new experience.

3G works on Veer with BSNL, but not with Vodafone. I have confirmed it again. I guess either a mobile plan has to be activated in Vodafone or some manual network settings are required. Although Vodafone people told me that 3G is enabled on SIM by default, so it may be network settings.

Hope this helps.
    m going nuts trying to get 3g work on my Veer ... .today i tried on docomo again...spoke to cust care ,entered the apn settings but nothing is working..so i give up on this now ...only BSNL remains to be seen .....reg vodafone i have heard that 3g works on that ...the seller confirmed to me that 3g on vodafone works in his veer ..
    also there is no network settings...if someone can provide a patch[ infact there is one patch also for phone but m not getting the option to choose network i.e 2g / 3g ] ..giving the option for 3g /2g in veer..or anything which will make 3g work in Veer that would make life easier for us in INDIA or for that matter people(read webOS fans) from other countries except US ,EU ..
  19.    #59  
    @Vivekmishra

I have been playing with Veer on Vodafone for few days now. Initially I got Edge on it by default. Couldn't get 3G straightaway. But eventually I got 3G on Vodafone.

Here is how I got it.

First of all its absolutely necessary to send a 3G activation SMS to Vodafone to get 3G access "ACT 3G" to 144.
    Secondly I am not sure but a phone restart is needed as with all devices when something new is installed. So restart your phone.

You won't need manual network settings.

Obviously you should be in area where there is Vodafone 3G coverage. I am on fringe network area, so 3G comes and goes. Better be in area where there is strong signal strength.
    can you u tell me ur webOS version i.e. 2.1 or 2.4 ? and once again is it US version ?
    bcoz m having one veer , i tried docomo , airtel ,aircel ..none worked ,though i didn't keep any sim inserted for more than 15-20 mts .....bcoz obviously it is expected to show 3g signal immediately or may b 5 minutes max !!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast