Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 66
Like Tree2Likes
  1. #21  
    @sanjay.. pl clarify regarding Veer ..whats ur view on that..bcoz i agree with u on the bandwidth issue(u have posted somewhere in forum )
    as our 3g bandwidth is more similar to Europeans ..so 3g will work perfectly on all euro versions.....
    pixi plus (webOS 2.1)>pre2>HP Veer>touchpad
  2. #22  
    Discussion on Palm/ HP ignoring the Indian market is all very interesting, and I've myself commented so elsewhere in these forums... But thinking back, I don't think the Indian market is ready for innovative and cutting-edge products such as the Pre. It's too driven by (idiotic) trends. Even today, Nokia is the top choice (despite them making some of the worst phones), and lately one sees an explosion of Samsung phones (despite them making some of the worst phones) etc.

    I do think Palm would have done due-diligence before rolling out their marketing plan, and our half-baked knee-jerk reactions may be quiet off the mark. They had bet their money on it, after all.
    Game over!
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by tovivekmishra View Post
    @sanjay.. pl clarify regarding Veer ..whats ur view on that..bcoz i agree with u on the bandwidth issue(u have posted somewhere in forum )
    as our 3g bandwidth is more similar to Europeans ..so 3g will work perfectly on all euro versions.....
    One minor correction... it's a frequency issue (and not "bandwidth").... India and Europe have 2100 MHz while US uses 1900 MHz for 3G (UMTS). One would need a Quad-band phone for it to be usable in both places. See the WIkipedia page for more information: UMTS frequency bands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Game over!
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I thought the OP's concern was having access to the US App catalog. For that this works just fine. But, as far as I know you need an US address and US credit/debit card, to make purchases form the US App catalog. An Indian credit card will not do.
    Yes, but the catalog is available without the complicated "DON'T put the SIM in or everything is lost forever" dance.
    Game over!
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Yes, but the catalog is available without the complicated "DON'T put the SIM in or everything is lost forever" dance.
    This would mean that something has been changed on HP's front, for this was not the case a year ago, which is when I got my Pre2 from the US.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Yes, but the catalog is available without the complicated "DON'T put the SIM in or everything is lost forever" dance.
    Can you throw more light on it ?
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by nymt2theone View Post
    Now Veer's 3G band and Pre2's 3G band are same
    That is incorrect, at least as far as the US Veer and US Pre2 are concerned. The US Veer & Pre3 support 3G in India, whereas the US Pre2 does NOT. ALL cellphone service providers in India are limited to using the 2100 Mhz band for 3G. Thus, if 3G works with BSNL, then it will work with Vodafone, Airtel, Docomo, etc. etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by tovivekmishra View Post
    @sanjay.. pl clarify regarding Veer ..whats ur view on that..bcoz i agree with u on the bandwidth issue(u have posted somewhere in forum )
    as our 3g bandwidth is more similar to Europeans ..so 3g will work perfectly on all euro versions.....
    YES, 3G in India will work with all European phones. This is because both Indian and Europe use the 2100 Mhz band for 3G. As a matter of fact, the vast majority of the world uses the 2100 Mhz band for their 3G.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 02/24/2012 at 12:35 PM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Discussion on Palm/ HP ignoring the Indian market is all very interesting, and I've myself commented so elsewhere in these forums... But thinking back, I don't think the Indian market is ready for innovative and cutting-edge products such as the Pre. It's too driven by (idiotic) trends. Even today, Nokia is the top choice (despite them making some of the worst phones), and lately one sees an explosion of Samsung phones (despite them making some of the worst phones) etc.

    I do think Palm would have done due-diligence before rolling out their marketing plan, and our half-baked knee-jerk reactions may be quiet off the mark. They had bet their money on it, after all.
    I think Microsoft is doing right thing by introducing Tango, it may not be most cutting edge thing but it certainly will be affordable by masses, larger markets in India, other Asian Countries. That would give them good revenues to keep floating, while they compete for high end stuff with Apple & High Range Droids.

    Same could have been done by Palm or HP. Thats one of the reason iphones are not popular in India, they sell it here for $1K, very very steep. And Apple seems to be not caring about them not selling, more like Nokia don't caring about OS phones. And now Nokia is suffering in US because they ignored OS and kept focusing on feature phones.

    There is always niche market in India who would buy expensive phones, but HP/Palm didn't bother to introduce that as well in India. I remember checking HP's India website before few years, in days of ipaq 510 messenger phones, they were obsoleting models every month. Like they didn't care, hell HP's website for PC is mess in India right now.

    It comes down to $ - INR conversion. You can't sell things in developing countries at the direct conversion rate of USD. Because average salaries here are not equivalent to direct conversion of US average salaries. Thats why publishers had to come up with economy editions of books, else a $100 book which is affordable in US, can't be afforded by any student here.

    There has to be specific products for specific markets. Asian market is too big to be ignored. Nokia is paying for ignoring Smartphone market in West, same would be the case if Smart Phone Makers ignore Asian Markets, that is if Nokia+Microsoft manages to win back their customers in West.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    That is incorrect, at least as far as the US Veer and US Pre2 are concerned. The US Veer & Pre3 support 3G in India, whereas the US Pre2 does NOT. ALL cellphone service providers in India are limited to using the 2100 Mhz band for 3G. Thus, if 3G works with BSNL, then it will work with Vodafone, Airtel, Docomo, etc. etc.


    YES, 3G in India will work with all European phones. This is because both Indian and Europe use the 2100 Mhz band for 3G. As a matter of fact, the vast majority of the world uses the 2100 Mhz band for their 3G.
    I may have committed a blunder here. I misread the specs, thought it was a quad band phone. I guess ebay return won't be possible. Wi-fi only for me.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    That is incorrect, at least as far as the US Veer and US Pre2 are concerned. The US Veer & Pre3 support 3G in India, whereas the US Pre2 does NOT. ALL cellphone service providers in India are limited to using the 2100 Mhz band for 3G. Thus, if 3G works with BSNL, then it will work with Vodafone, Airtel, Docomo, etc. etc.


    YES, 3G in India will work with all European phones. This is because both Indian and Europe use the 2100 Mhz band for 3G. As a matter of fact, the vast majority of the world uses the 2100 Mhz band for their 3G.
    if 3g works in veer -US models then i am getting it very soon as i believe its keyboard is better than PRE2 and its more solid too..only reason i bought PRE2 is bcoz of the hw n the updates..its only behind the pre3 but i was disappointed with the keyboard ..heck pixi keyboard feels much better....

    i was thinking ..may b its little weird but still..so i think palm/hp must have manufactured all the pre2/pixi etc fones including both ( US n Euro versions ) at one place and since in US ,fones are carrier specific..so they locked the fones radio board meant for US market to US carriers and those meant for Euro marekts to European carriers ...it'll save the cost for them..they jus need to make one hardware for all market n do little tweaking in the end for respective markets.....so what i mean to say ..the phone may support all frequencies if someone can hack the hw..may b i m way off the track ..just a thought....
    pixi plus (webOS 2.1)>pre2>HP Veer>touchpad
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by nymt2theone View Post
    I may have committed a blunder here. I misread the specs, thought it was a quad band phone. I guess ebay return won't be possible. Wi-fi only for me.
    why wifi ??u can use always use gprs..B-)
    pixi plus (webOS 2.1)>pre2>HP Veer>touchpad
  12.    #32  
    @vivekmishra

    You are right regarding software lock for hardware. It happens in Mobile Phones, but also in many other electronics products as well. Underlying hardware supports all features, but is locked by software for profits through future updates.

    And a same phone model has variant of quad band would mean that a phone with limited band has enough space for extra hardware of quad band.

    When I get time, I will upload you a pic of my Veer showing BSNL & 3G icons, if that helps you.

    GPRS may be accessible in Pre 2, but you know it sucks. My docomo 3g dongle when goes to edge after 3g data is utilized, internet is impossible.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by tovivekmishra View Post
    the phone may support all frequencies if someone can hack the hw..may b i m way off the track ..just a thought....
    This theory has been explored earlier and found to be a no go. Bottom line is, the only US webOS phones that will work with 3G in India, are the Veer and the Pre3.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    nick86 likes this.
  14. #34  
    How about Pixi Plus from Europe ? I guess EU Pixi Plus supports 2100 Mhz. I am getting quite nice deal on Pixi Plus.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by nick86 View Post
    How about Pixi Plus from Europe ? I guess EU Pixi Plus supports 2100 Mhz. I am getting quite nice deal on Pixi Plus.
    its not that i dont believe u..i was jus too tired after trying everything to get 3g work in my pixi n pre2....i got pre2 thinking 3g will work in this....on gsmarena.com n so many other sites...if u see veer n pre2 both have same frequencies..but again it didn't work ...later i came to know all the reasons..
    now that 3g is confirmed on veer( on US versions )..i'll get one...

    @nick86
    3g will work on pixi plus (euro ver.) but i wud advise u to go for veer if u have budget...pixi ll b sometime very slow , its back cover is of low quality ..plastic cover may break at microusb point ..so slowly the plastic ll start coming out..from other places..i m jus saying from exp with my pixi n other pixies i got for my friends..

    i want help from u guys ..is it possible to share my USB data card i.e. BSNL evdo internet over wifi to my pre2.. i have windows XP ..i know there is one sw called connectify..which lets u do this i.e. creating wifi spot but it does in windows 7.. i managed ad-hoc settings in XP..but my pre2 doesnot recognize that..forget about pairing....i tried NAT32..but cudn't manage the settings..so i am still out of luck.... ..
    pixi plus (webOS 2.1)>pre2>HP Veer>touchpad
  16.    #36  
    @vivekmishra

    Well you might just have solved my problem. I was going to buy a 3G router for Wi-fi access to Docomo 3G USB Stick. If connectify works, I can save between INR 2000 to INR 3000 on router.

    You can get a TPLink router (I believe they are the cheapest ones) for EVDO (check compatibility).
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by nymt2theone View Post
    @vivekmishra

    Well you might just have solved my problem. I was going to buy a 3G router for Wi-fi access to Docomo 3G USB Stick. If connectify works, I can save between INR 2000 to INR 3000 on router.

    You can get a TPLink router (I believe they are the cheapest ones) for EVDO (check compatibility).
    m glad i cud of any help..connectify works very well ...u can get pro version from torrent. ..i have tested that on my friends windows 7 laptop + my USB data card BSNL and my pre2 and with sony xperia ARC mobile. also...it works perfectly...u dont need to buy any hw...in windows 7 u can make ur m/c a wifi hotspot without requiring any external sw also i.e. u dont need connectify also ...but connectify is very simple to use..n serves the purpose very well...

    in XP it is little difficult ..buying a hw ll b last option for me..if i dont find soln i may upgrade to windows 7
    pixi plus (webOS 2.1)>pre2>HP Veer>touchpad
  18.    #38  
    @vivekmishra

    I use Win 7, great. You should upgrade to Win 7 (we are diverting from Palm to Win discussions here), Win 7 would run all Applications of earlier Windows including Win 98. I use some very old DOS Applications in Win 7 without any problems, its great OS and doesn't crash.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by nymt2theone View Post
    @vivekmishra

    I use Win 7, great. You should upgrade to Win 7 (we are diverting from Palm to Win discussions here), Win 7 would run all Applications of earlier Windows including Win 98. I use some very old DOS Applications in Win 7 without any problems, its great OS and doesn't crash.
    lol ..yes we are diverting from Palm to Win discussions here..ya ..lets stop it here..
    pixi plus (webOS 2.1)>pre2>HP Veer>touchpad
  20. #40  
    Vivek.thanx for the reply. I had pixi plus for around 4 months and and i know the plastic quality. 1 word it sux. So i have upgraded to PRE3. Build quality of PRE series is solid. Got it from UK. factory unlocked. for 15000 INR.

    Veer is quite nice and better. but My sis doesn't like slider mechanism. and i am ordering around 8 Pieces ( Friends and relatives). So trying to get quotes between 40-50 GBP.

    I have BSNl EVDO too. but haven't tried to share with PRE3. but connectify should work on XP too.
    what problems are you facing ?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions