1.    #1  
    I bought a Pre2 with the hopes of converting it to work on Sprint but I hit a snag. Constantly displaying a big battery logo when trying to doctor it, I followed the webOS Internals tips on using the omap3_usbload program as explained in the Last Resort Emergency Boot Loader instructions. The utility appeared to work ok - the on-screen display showed the USB symbol and the doctor suddenly realized the phone was plugged in and would try to proceed - but after pressing Next in doctor the display would switch back to a battery and the process would stop immediately there after at 0%, trying to charge the battery.

The Last Resort instructions explain that if the doctor won't work after this it may be a sign of a corrupted LVM and offers some advice but says it won't work if the user is using a 2.1 doctor. Being almost a year after that page was updated, I'm wondering - does anyone now know how to proceed with recovery at this point? Is my phone actually bricked?

Tim
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post
    I bought a Pre2 with the hopes of converting it to work on Sprint but I hit a snag. Constantly displaying a big battery logo when trying to doctor it, I followed the webOS Internals tips on using the omap3_usbload program as explained in the Last Resort Emergency Boot Loader instructions. The utility appeared to work ok - the on-screen display showed the USB symbol and the doctor suddenly realized the phone was plugged in and would try to proceed - but after pressing Next in doctor the display would switch back to a battery and the process would stop immediately there after at 0%, trying to charge the battery.

The Last Resort instructions explain that if the doctor won't work after this it may be a sign of a corrupted LVM and offers some advice but says it won't work if the user is using a 2.1 doctor. Being almost a year after that page was updated, I'm wondering - does anyone now know how to proceed with recovery at this point? Is my phone actually bricked?

Tim
    Tim copy the command line text and post it. It is hard for us to help if we can not see what you are doing... Re-try and run the doctor java -jar webosdoctor.jar...
  3.    #3  
    John,

The command was simply what the instructions suggest: sudo ./omap3_usbload boot.bin

Also as described in the instructions, after it started displaying dots across the console, I plugged in the phone and it got:
    found device!
    download ok
    The phone's screen then switched to a USB-type display, I inserted the battery - which was charged - and I fired up the doctor.jar I'd produced earlier, via: sudo java -jar webosdoctorp103ueuna-wr-2.1.0.jar

Running the doctor previously without using the usb boot loader, the doctor would never recognize the phone was plugged in, but after the boot loader at the doctor screen that tells you to plug your phone in, the next button enables and it tries to start the process. Unfortunately the progress bar displays 0% and that the battery needs to be charged first. At the console the following echoes repeatedly:

Feb 19, 2012 9:06:56 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscoveryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got controller
    Feb 19, 2012 9:06:56 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscoveryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got devices 0

No progress is ever made and after a long time - no idea how long since I left the process running unattended twice, but it was a matter of hours - I get a disconnected message in the doctor.

I thought perhaps the com board wasn't connected properly, and thus power wasn't getting from the com board's battery connectors to the phone's other half but I took the phone apart, disconnected and reconnected the two ribbon cables but still no luck, thus I'm thinking the problem might be more serious like the possible corrupted LVM described in the Last Resort instructions and figure I need more help, especially since the instructions for correcting a corrupted LVM come with a disclaimer that they don't work with the 2.1 doctor.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be or what I should look at? I'm unfortunately not very experienced with Linux so don't know exactly what I should do to further diagnose and solve the problem and I couldn't find anything via my google searches to help either, but I know enough to know that there are plenty of people that know far more than I do here. If someone has some suggestions and we find something that works I'd be more than happy to update the Last Resort wiki page too.

Thanks for your reply and any help or suggestions,
    Tim
    John,

The command was simply what the instructions suggest: sudo ./omap3_usbload boot.bin

Also as described in the instructions, after it started displaying dots across the console, I plugged in the phone and it got:
    found device!
    download ok
    The phone's screen then switched to a USB-type display, I inserted the battery - which was charged - and I fired up the doctor.jar I'd produced earlier, via: sudo java -jar webosdoctorp103ueuna-wr-2.1.0.jar

Running the doctor previously without using the usb boot loader, the doctor would never recognize the phone was plugged in, but after the boot loader at the doctor screen that tells you to plug your phone in, the next button enables and it tries to start the process. Unfortunately the progress bar displays 0% and that the battery needs to be charged first. At the console the following echoes repeatedly:

INFO: got devices 0

No progress is ever made and after a long time - no idea how long since I left the process running unattended twice, but it was a matter of hours - I get a disconnected message in the doctor.

I thought perhaps the com board wasn't connected properly, and thus power wasn't getting from the com board's battery connectors to the phone's other half but I took the phone apart, disconnected and reconnected the two ribbon cables but still no luck, thus I'm thinking the problem might be more serious like the possible corrupted LVM described in the Last Resort instructions and figure I need more help, especially since the instructions for correcting a corrupted LVM come with a disclaimer that they don't work with the 2.1 doctor.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be or what I should look at? I'm unfortunately not very experienced with Linux so don't know exactly what I should do to further diagnose and solve the problem and I couldn't find anything via my google searches to help either, but I know enough to know that there are plenty of people that know far more than I do here. If someone has some suggestions and we find something that works I'd be more than happy to update the Last Resort wiki page too.

Thanks for your reply and any help or suggestions,
    Tim
    Hum...

I see that it found the controller, but not the device...

Without having the device in front of me, with the little command line text you presented my guess is the lvm is corrupt, as well as the nvitems which need to be rebuilt?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    I see that it found the controller, but not the device...

Without having the device in front of me, with the little command line text you presented my guess is the lvm is corrupt, as well as the nvitems which need to be rebuilt?
    Any suggestions on what to do from here? I think I can get in and check the state of the lvm and can probably handle rebuilding it if necessary but I'm not sure how it should be configured. I imagine it's not too different from the Pre but I don't know that for sure and I don't have another Pre2 to refer to. Do you know if it's documented somewhere?

And any suggestions on how I would go about checking the state of the nvitems?

Thanks again for the reply,
    Tim
    Any suggestions on what to do from here? I think I can get in and check the state of the lvm and can probably handle rebuilding it if necessary but I'm not sure how it should be configured. I imagine it's not too different from the Pre but I don't know that for sure and I don't have another Pre2 to refer to. Do you know if it's documented somewhere?

And any suggestions on how I would go about checking the state of the nvitems?

Thanks again for the reply,
    Tim
    If one has the time, they could rebuild the linux volume...

The big issue is if you do not have the correct structure the doctor will fail..

Do something like this
    Reboot your device in recovery mode - Unplug USB, take out battery, wait 15 seconds or so, plug battery (close case), while holding down the Up volume key, plug USB...
    You should see a big USB symbol... Now if you can't do that you at least can do the omap3_usbload and then attempt...

Now if you already extracted the webosdoctor great, if not one can use meta-doctor, or copy the file and then change the type from .jar to .zip now unzip it look for nova-installer-image-roadrunner.uImage

As long as you have novacomd and novacom installed (SDK)

then the rest should work, now I have not tested this on my Pre2, but I did this on my PixiPlus and it worked fine, when I ran the doctor it then removed it all, and rebuilt the whole thing...

Create a Bash script that fixes the partitions, this will create a PIXI webOS 2.1.0 lvm structure which does not matter it will be leveled by the doctor (I am using part of NuttyBunnys code from Makefile-modem.txt, all the work goes to him, if you wish you can use his script and modify it to use your Pre2 doctor)...

#!/bin/bash
    novacom -w boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-roadrunner.uImage
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure
    for i in `novacom -w run file://bin/ls /dev/store`; do \
    echo "deleting partition $i"; \
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/$i 2> /dev/null ; \
    done

echo "Creating root partition"
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvcreate -L 456M -n root store
    novacom -w run file://sbin/mke2fs.e2fsprogs -- -j -q /dev/store/root
    echo "Creating var partition"
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvcreate -L 64M -n var store
    novacom -w run file://sbin/mke2fs.e2fsprogs -- -j -q /dev/store/var
    echo "Creating update partition"
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvcreate -L 16M -n update store
    novacom -w run file://sbin/mke2fs.e2fsprogs -- -j -q /dev/store/update
    echo "Creating log partition"
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvcreate -L 24M -n log store
    novacom -w run file://sbin/mke2fs.e2fsprogs -- -j -q /dev/store/log
    echo "Creating mojodb partition"
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvcreate -L 144M -n mojodb store
    novacom -w run file://sbin/mke2fs.e2fsprogs -- -j -q /dev/store/mojodb
    echo "Creating filecche partition"
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvcreate -L 136M -n filecache store
    novacom -w run file://sbin/mke2fs.e2fsprogs -- -j -q /dev/store/filecache
    echo "Creating swap partition"
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvcreate -L 168M -n swap store
    novacom -w run file://sbin/mkswap.util-linux-ng -- /dev/store/swap
    echo "Creating media partition"
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvcreate -l +100%FREE -n media store
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/mkdosfs -- -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media

Now this in theory will wipe the lvm (assuming yours is already wiped, otherwise back it up) and re-create a new one, this will not touch any NVITEMS so your device will stay a Pre2, now use the doctor to revive it back to working state...

When you run the doctor do it from a command line java -jar webosdoctor.jar, then if you have issues you can post the output and we can see what problem you are having...

If you have to fix the NVITEMS for the Pre2 the default are:
    Pre 2 (Verizon): DMCARRIER=Verizon, DMMODEL=P102EWW, HWoRev=A, KEYoBRD=z, PN=180-10809-04, PRODoID=P102EWW
    Pre 2 (US): DMCARRIER=ROW, DMMODEL=P102UNA, HWoRev=A, KEYoBRD=z, PN=180-10827-00, PRODoID=P102UNA
    Pre 2 (EU): DMCARRIER=ROW, DMMODEL=P102UEU, HWoRev=A, KEYoBRD=z, PN=180-10808-00, PRODoID=P102UEU

Use this web link to assist you if restoring them Last Resort Emergency BootLoader Recovery - WebOS Internals

If you had a copy of your tokens via show properties you can use the meta-doctor script to re-inject them into the device...

Use the REMOVE_CARRIER_CHECK and REMOVE_MODEL_CHECK to force the write of the tokens, then re-use a good doctor which will test the NVITEMS your wrote...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 02/21/2012 at 08:11 AM.
  7.    #7  
    Wow John... thank you so much. You've spent a ton of time writing all that up, I know. Thank you.

I've tried followed the instructions but unfortunately without much more luck. First, I went through the process of trying to recreate the lvm config. I loaded the bootie and then ran a script with the remaining commands. It threw some errors, mainly because the items existed. Here's the output:

Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
    Found volume group "store" using metadata type lvm2
    8 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active
    deleting partition 2975i
    deleting partition 2975i
    deleting partition 2975i
    deleting partition 2975i
    deleting partition 2975i
    deleting partition 2975i
    deleting partition 2975i
    deleting partition 2975i
    Creating root partition
    Logical volume "root" already exists in volume group "store"
    novacom: unexpected EOF from server
    Creating var partition
    Logical volume "var" already exists in volume group "store"
    Creating update partition
    Logical volume "update" already exists in volume group "store"
    Creating log partition
    Logical volume "log" already exists in volume group "store"
    Creating mojodb partition
    Logical volume "mojodb" already exists in volume group "store"
    Creating filecche partition
    Logical volume "filecache" already exists in volume group "store"
    Creating swap partition
    Logical volume "swap" already exists in volume group "store"
    Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 106492 KiB
    no label, UUID=521acfb7-30e0-4e8e-bc3a-1684508ab630
    Creating media partition
    Logical volume "media" already exists in volume group "store"
    mkdosfs 2.11 (12 Mar 2005)

Hoping that the results weren't necessarily a bad thing, I ran the doctor. Actually I had to rerun omap3_usbload again to get the doctor to recognize the device was plugged in, but here's the doctor output, the same as it was before, acting as if the battery had to be charged. I tried two diferent batteries, both charged, just to be sure there wasn't something weird about one but with the same results. The output is at the end of the message.

Finally, I checked the tokens defined on the phone. They all seem to be fine, with only the PN being slightly different. I'd like to change it but it's not clear to me how to do that. I tried editing the PN file in both /dev/tokens and /tmp/tokens and then the mount command, but it remains unaltered. Sorry if I'm being daft, but how exactly do you update the value?

<INFO> saving existing tokens
    <INFO> "DMSETS" = "{"sets":"1443","1447"}" (22 bytes)
    <INFO> "PN" = "180-10840-02" (12 bytes)
    <INFO> "KEYoBRD" = "z" (1 bytes)
    <INFO> "HWoRev" = "A" (1 bytes)
    <INFO> "BToADDR" = "00:1D:FE:72:19:4E" (17 bytes)
    <INFO> "WIFIoADDR" = "00:1D:FE:EE:FA:FF" (17 bytes)
    <INFO> "ALSCal" = "{"values":[94,697,0,0]}" (23 bytes)
    <INFO> "ACCELCAL" = "{"faceup_0":{"x":549,"y":-280,"z":-9462},"faceup_180":{"x":12,"y":-451,"z":-9438},"facedown_0":{"x":0,"y":0,"z":0},"facedown_180":{"x":0,"y":0,"z":0},"rightup_0":{"x":0,"y":0," z":0},"rightup_180":{"x":0,"y":0,"z":0},"leftup_0":{"x":0,"y":0,"z":0},"leftup_180":{"x":0,"y":0,"z" :0},"topup_0":{"x":0,"y":0,"z":0},"topup_180":{"x":0,"y":0,"z":0},"bottomup_0":{"x":0,"y":0,"z":0}," bottomup_180":{"x":0,"y":0,"z":0}}" (410 bytes)
    <INFO> "ModemSN" = "CACEMB6ECF04JU" (14 bytes)
    <INFO> "SimLockDef" = "UNLOCKED" (8 bytes)
    <INFO> "MfgCode" = "" (0 bytes)
    <INFO> "ProdSN" = "CACEAB6ECF079Z" (14 bytes)
    <INFO> "installer" = "trenchcoat" (10 bytes)
    <INFO> "BATToRSP" = "2AE0EDAFF2FE924094FD69358CF8BDCC2B954F88" (40 bytes)
    <INFO> "BATToCH" = "F8B1099FB00D5814" (16 bytes)
    <INFO> "DMSVRoNONCE" = "ZndNanFFTmxHNzU1OkhPXw==" (24 bytes)
    <INFO> "DMSVRoAUTHPW" = "0.771690528089802" (17 bytes)
    <INFO> "DMCLoNONCE" = "R2xuV0FjZWRkSldzRG5mWw==" (24 bytes)
    <INFO> "DMCLoAUTHPW" = "0.4240193570051296" (18 bytes)
    <INFO> "DMCLoAUTHNAME" = "1573606983" (10 bytes)
    <INFO> "DMCARRIER" = "ROW" (3 bytes)
    <INFO> "DMMODEL" = "P102UNA" (7 bytes)
    <INFO> "PalmSN" = "PG9U06HB433M" (12 bytes)
    <INFO> "HousingA" = "glass" (5 bytes)
    <INFO> "PRODoID" = "P102UNA" (7 bytes)

Any other suggestions? I'm almost ashamed to ask after you've helped so much. Thanks again!

Here's the doctor's full output:
    Feb 20, 2012 11:20:36 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.ConfigFileMgr loadConfiguration
    INFO: baseBuild webOS.tar
    Feb 20, 2012 11:20:36 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.ConfigFileMgr loadConfiguration
    INFO: customizationBuild wr.tar
    INFO: prevBaseBuild null
    INFO: prevCustomizationBuild null
    INFO: DeviceType: roadrunner
    INFO: WcpSubmssion: 20
    INFO: ForceModemUpdate: true
    INFO: RomBuildNumber: 108
    INFO: BaseBuild: webOS.tar
    INFO: RecoveryToolBuildNumber: 109
    INFO: AppSubmssion: 81
    INFO: SoftwareUpdateSite: production
    INFO: RecoveryToolBuildTime: 02/26/11 01:08
    INFO: VersionStr: HP webOS 2.1.0
    INFO: ApprovalMikeHash: H4sIAJ5SaE0AA+3OsQqDMBDGcec+hQ9QbBKjnTt0lSJIRwkYRKgRUrV9/KbOpXQQu/x/y3d3HNwlh35o7K0uhtnU17IuB9P4yTnrk/E5RqsQQa71O+UxEyFVqpVY5otQS6nzTEollIxCn+Z5FIt1zn833Ufj4zjydu7sozG2H9ynPevazlnrO9du8dZWLlKo6lztlyxOu3//AwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD4zQvLrGqYACgAAA==
    INFO: CustomizationBuild: wr.tar
    INFO: ApprovalBuildName: H4sIAJ5SaE0AA+3OuwrCQBSE4a19ii21CXvJRtKKnWChleWiBwnkIokxr2+0UrBNbP6vGRimmFuX3GJZDV1ybio1DTPK0vSVdh3M mM6nzrz7t+CUtcE7E6zzmTI2jAOlzUR/vvTdPbZaq1YehQyXKFVT/9pJfS1qkbaor3PcmstBSomd6E1flBe9j5Vom/jE6eVxu8t92B1OuU9DWC3+/RQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA8OkJQTqzFgAoAAA=
    INFO: LibCoreSubmssion: 122
    INFO: ApprovalCharlieHash: H4sIAJ5SaE0AA+3OwQqCQBSFYdc9hU9g4zjOvEWBG5cy5EVm0QiTWY+f1TaIQGzzf5sDlwP3FPuTTylI6g7j7Lu26ZrR9+kao6Ri uk/ZCtTCGvPM0tVqSV0ZrV73N5OVZWWtrZxzS08rV+ssV2s8/+Z6mXzK8yzJHOTWezmP8VNP4hCiSApx2GLWVppju/v3BgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADA7x7UT2MWACgAAA==
    Feb 20, 2012 11:20:36 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController <init>
    INFO: +++++CardController
    Feb 20, 2012 11:20:37 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController <init>
    INFO: getLocale is : en_GB
    Feb 20, 2012 11:20:49 PM com.palm.nova.installer.core.DesktopDriversMgr checkAndInstallDrivers
    INFO: +++++checkAndInstallDrivers
    Feb 20, 2012 11:20:49 PM com.palm.nova.installer.core.DesktopDriversMgr checkAndInstallDrivers
    INFO: Java Os Name: LINUX
    INFO: Java Os Arch: I386
    INFO: Java Os version: 3.0.0-16-generic
    INFO: java version: 1.6.0_26
    INFO: java home: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.26/jre
    INFO: java tmp dir: /tmp
    INFO: java vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
    INFO: java vm version: 20.1-b02
    INFO: java vm vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
    INFO: user lang: null
    INFO: -----checkAndInstallDrivers
    Feb 20, 2012 11:20:52 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscoveryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    Feb 20, 2012 11:20:52 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscoveryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got devices 1
    Feb 20, 2012 11:20:52 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController runnerFinished
    INFO: device runner done
    Feb 20, 2012 11:20:52 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger startJob
    INFO: Started:Battery Charger Stage
    Feb 20, 2012 11:20:53 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    INFO: Battery:Battery at -1%
    Feb 20, 2012 11:20:53 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    INFO: Battery:Battery Charging Started
    INFO: Battery:Charging to Sufficient Power (25%), this may take a couple of minutes
    INFO: Battery:+++++HDQ: Present pulse not received
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:20:54 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:20:54 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:20:55 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:20:55 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:20:56 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:20:57 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:20:57 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:20:58 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:20:59 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:20:59 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:00 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:00 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:01 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:02 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:02 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:03 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:04 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:04 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:05 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:05 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:07 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:07 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:08 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:09 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:09 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:10 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:10 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:12 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:12 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:13 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:13 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:14 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:15 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:15 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:17 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:17 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:18 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:18 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:19 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:20 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:20 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:21 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:22 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:22 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:23 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:23 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:25 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:25 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:26 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:27 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:27 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:28 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:28 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:30 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:30 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:31 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:31 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:32 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:33 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:33 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:35 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:35 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:36 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:36 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:37 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Feb 20, 2012 11:21:38 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger commentOnJob
    -----
    Wow John... thank you so much. You've spent a ton of time writing all that up, I know. Thank you.

I've tried followed the instructions but unfortunately without much more luck. First, I went through the process of trying to recreate the lvm config. I loaded the bootie and then ran a script with the remaining commands. It threw some errors, mainly because the items existed. Here's the output:

Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
    Found volume group "store" using metadata type lvm2
    8 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active
    deleting partition 2975i
    deleting partition 2975i
    deleting partition 2975i
    deleting partition 2975i
    deleting partition 2975i
    deleting partition 2975i
    deleting partition 2975i
    deleting partition 2975i
    Creating root partition
    Logical volume "root" already exists in volume group "store"
    Creating var partition
    Logical volume "var" already exists in volume group "store"
    Creating update partition
    Logical volume "update" already exists in volume group "store"
    Creating log partition
    Logical volume "log" already exists in volume group "store"
    Creating mojodb partition
    Logical volume "mojodb" already exists in volume group "store"
    Creating filecche partition
    Logical volume "filecache" already exists in volume group "store"
    Creating swap partition
    Logical volume "swap" already exists in volume group "store"
    Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 106492 KiB
    no label, UUID=521acfb7-30e0-4e8e-bc3a-1684508ab630
    Creating media partition
    Logical volume "media" already exists in volume group "store"
    mkdosfs 2.11 (12 Mar 2005)
    Hoping that the results weren't necessarily a bad thing, I ran the doctor. Actually I had to rerun omap3_usbload again to get the doctor to recognize the device was plugged in, but here's the doctor output, the same as it was before, acting as if the battery had to be charged. I tried two diferent batteries, both charged, just to be sure there wasn't something weird about one but with the same results. The output is at the end of the message.
    Seems it did not remove the partitions only deleting partition 2975i eight times...

So either the script is not correct (script should only have one $ not the double $$ removed from my post), or it is not finding the other partitions, here is a script to remove the other partitions but I do not think this is the issue:

#!/bin/bash
    novacom -w boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-roadrunner.uImage
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure

novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/root
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/var
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/update
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/log
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/mojodb
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/filecache
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/swap
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/media

Then use the other to rebuild the LVM, again I do not think this is your issue...

Finally, I checked the tokens defined on the phone. They all seem to be fine, with only the PN being slightly different. I'd like to change it but it's not clear to me how to do that. I tried editing the PN file in both /dev/tokens and /tmp/tokens and then the mount command, but it remains unaltered. Sorry if I'm being daft, but how exactly do you update the value?

<INFO> saving existing tokens
    <INFO> "DMSETS" = "{"sets":"1443","1447"}" (22 bytes)
    <INFO> "PN" = "180-10840-02" (12 bytes)
    <INFO> "KEYoBRD" = "z" (1 bytes)
    <INFO> "HWoRev" = "A" (1 bytes)
    <INFO> "BToADDR" = "YourADDR" (17 bytes)
    <INFO> "WIFIoADDR" = "YourADDR" (17 bytes)
    <INFO> "ALSCal" = "{"values":[94,697,0,0]}" (23 bytes)
    <INFO> "ACCELCAL" = "{"faceup_0":{"x":549,"y":-280,"z":-9462},"faceup_180":{"x":12,"y":-451,"z":-9438},"facedown_0":{"x":0,"y":0,"z":0},"facedown_180":{"x":0,"y":0,"z":0},"rightup_0":{"x":0,"y":0," z":0},"rightup_180":{"x":0,"y":0,"z":0},"leftup_0":{"x":0,"y":0,"z":0},"leftup_180":{"x":0,"y":0,"z" :0},"topup_0":{"x":0,"y":0,"z":0},"topup_180":{"x":0,"y":0,"z":0},"bottomup_0":{"x":0,"y":0,"z":0}," bottomup_180":{"x":0,"y":0,"z":0}}" (410 bytes)
    <INFO> "ModemSN" = "YourSN" (14 bytes)
    <INFO> "SimLockDef" = "UNLOCKED" (8 bytes)
    <INFO> "MfgCode" = "" (0 bytes)
    <INFO> "ProdSN" = "YourSN" (14 bytes)
    <INFO> "installer" = "trenchcoat" (10 bytes)
    <INFO> "BATToRSP" = "2AE0EDAFF2FE924094FD69358CF8BDCC2B954F88" (40 bytes)
    <INFO> "BATToCH" = "F8B1099FB00D5814" (16 bytes)
    <INFO> "DMSVRoNONCE" = "ZndNanFFTmxHNzU1OkhPXw==" (24 bytes)
    <INFO> "DMSVRoAUTHPW" = "0.771690528089802" (17 bytes)
    <INFO> "DMCLoNONCE" = "R2xuV0FjZWRkSldzRG5mWw==" (24 bytes)
    <INFO> "DMCLoAUTHPW" = "0.4240193570051296" (18 bytes)
    <INFO> "DMCLoAUTHNAME" = "1573606983" (10 bytes)
    <INFO> "DMCARRIER" = "ROW" (3 bytes)
    <INFO> "DMMODEL" = "P102UNA" (7 bytes)
    <INFO> "PalmSN" = "YourSN" (12 bytes)
    <INFO> "HousingA" = "glass" (5 bytes)
    <INFO> "PRODoID" = "P102UNA" (7 bytes)
    The tokens look good, You could remove the partitions one at a time, but I do not think that is your problem...

FYI your should remove your personal information in the above post, use edit and remove Wifi & BlueTooth ADDR and all the SN values...

Any other suggestions? I'm almost ashamed to ask after you've helped so much. Thanks again!

Here's the doctor's full output:
    INFO: baseBuild webOS.tar
    INFO: customizationBuild wr.tar
    INFO: prevBaseBuild null
    INFO: prevCustomizationBuild null
    INFO: DeviceType: roadrunner
    INFO: WcpSubmssion: 20
    INFO: ForceModemUpdate: true
    INFO: RomBuildNumber: 108
    INFO: BaseBuild: webOS.tar
    INFO: RecoveryToolBuildNumber: 109
    INFO: AppSubmssion: 81
    INFO: SoftwareUpdateSite: production
    INFO: RecoveryToolBuildTime: 02/26/11 01:08
    INFO: VersionStr: HP webOS 2.1.0
    INFO: ApprovalMikeHash: H4sIAJ5SaE0AA+3OsQqDMBDGcec+hQ9QbBKjnTt0lSJIRwkYRKgRUrV9/KbOpXQQu/x/y3d3HNwlh35o7K0uhtnU17IuB9P4yTnrk/E5RqsQQa71O+UxEyFVqpVY5otQS6nzTEollIxCn+Z5FIt1zn833Ufj4zjydu7sozG2H9ynPevazlnrO9du8dZWLlKo6lztlyxOu3//AwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD4zQvLrGqYACgAAA==
    INFO: CustomizationBuild: wr.tar
    INFO: ApprovalBuildName: H4sIAJ5SaE0AA+3OuwrCQBSE4a19ii21CXvJRtKKnWChleWiBwnkIokxr2+0UrBNbP6vGRimmFuX3GJZDV1ybio1DTPK0vSVdh3M mM6nzrz7t+CUtcE7E6zzmTI2jAOlzUR/vvTdPbZaq1YehQyXKFVT/9pJfS1qkbaor3PcmstBSomd6E1flBe9j5Vom/jE6eVxu8t92B1OuU9DWC3+/RQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA8OkJQTqzFgAoAAA=
    INFO: LibCoreSubmssion: 122
    INFO: ApprovalCharlieHash: H4sIAJ5SaE0AA+3OwQqCQBSFYdc9hU9g4zjOvEWBG5cy5EVm0QiTWY+f1TaIQGzzf5sDlwP3FPuTTylI6g7j7Lu26ZrR9+kao6Ri uk/ZCtTCGvPM0tVqSV0ZrV73N5OVZWWtrZxzS08rV+ssV2s8/+Z6mXzK8yzJHOTWezmP8VNP4hCiSApx2GLWVppju/v3BgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADA7x7UT2MWACgAAA==
    Feb 20, 2012 11:20:36 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController <init>
    INFO: +++++CardController
    Feb 20, 2012 11:20:37 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController <init>
    INFO: getLocale is : en_GB
    INFO: +++++checkAndInstallDrivers
    INFO: Java Os Name: LINUX
    INFO: Java Os Arch: I386
    INFO: Java Os version: 3.0.0-16-generic
    INFO: java version: 1.6.0_26
    INFO: java home: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.26/jre
    INFO: java tmp dir: /tmp
    INFO: java vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
    INFO: java vm version: 20.1-b02
    INFO: java vm vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
    INFO: user lang: null
    INFO: -----checkAndInstallDrivers
    Feb 20, 2012 11:20:52 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController runnerFinished
    Feb 20, 2012 11:20:52 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger startJob
    INFO: Battery:Charging to Sufficient Power (25%), this may take a couple of minutes
    The Battery or Comm board cable issue is the issue, it sees the battery as not charge above 25%

Last edited by John Steffes; 02/21/2012 at 08:14 AM.
  9.    #9  
    Seems it did not remove the partitions only deleting partition 2975i eight times...

So either the script is not correct, or it is not finding the other partitions, here is a script to remove the other partitions but I do not think this is the issue:
    Yeah, I noticed that last night. The script is a straight copy of what you posted and I don't see an issue with it, but something obviously isn't right. I was a bit too tired last night to try deleting each partition manually, and figured like you that it's probably not my issue given that each one appears to be fine. I'll go ahead and try it though today.

The tokens look good, You could remove the partitions one at a time, but I do not think that is your problem...
    So is the PN just another known part number for the Pre2? I noticed it doesn't match the PN the last resort instructions mention and I googled it and didn't find it mentioned anywhere. So the doctor doesn't try to match this up with a known PN value?

The Battery or Comm board cable issue is the issue, it sees the battery as not charge above 25%

Yeah, I noticed this too and took the battery out of my Pre, which was at about 80 and tried it again. Same result. Strange that it's reporting 25% though.

Re: the comm board cable, I reluctantly agree. I know it's not the comm board because I've tried two and the first one is back in my Pre working now, and a bad cable would probably explain why the phone doesn't turn on by the power button and only shows the battery icon when plugging it into the USB port. I thought that the problem might be on the other end of the cable, it not being seated correctly into the cpu module but I disconnected and reconnected just to be sure and obviously no difference in the result. Strange that the cable would be jacked up on a essentially new phone - supposedly a clearance buy from HP - but then again, I don't know that the original owner did when they tried to convert it. I wasn't reassembled very well, that's for sure.

I at least have my daughter's old Pre to salvage one from - I'm assuming no difference between the Pre and Pre2's cable - but it doesn't look like fun trying to get the old one out and the new one back in, positioned just right and all.

Thanks again for all the help. You've went above and beyond, that's for certain. I think I'm well beyond just "owing you a beer" - I think I owe you dinner and an introduction to my sister.
    Yeah, I noticed that last night. The script is a straight copy of what you posted and I don't see an issue with it, but something obviously isn't right. I was a bit too tired last night to try deleting each partition manually, and figured like you that it's probably not my issue given that each one appears to be fine. I'll go ahead and try it though today.

So is the PN just another known part number for the Pre2? I noticed it doesn't match the PN the last resort instructions mention and I googled it and didn't find it mentioned anywhere. So the doctor doesn't try to match this up with a known PN value?

Yeah, I noticed this too and took the battery out of my Pre, which was at about 80 and tried it again. Same result. Strange that it's reporting 25% though.

Re: the comm board cable, I reluctantly agree. I know it's not the comm board because I've tried two and the first one is back in my Pre working now, and a bad cable would probably explain why the phone doesn't turn on by the power button and only shows the battery icon when plugging it into the USB port. I thought that the problem might be on the other end of the cable, it not being seated correctly into the cpu module but I disconnected and reconnected just to be sure and obviously no difference in the result. Strange that the cable would be jacked up on a essentially new phone - supposedly a clearance buy from HP - but then again, I don't know that the original owner did when they tried to convert it. I wasn't reassembled very well, that's for sure.

I at least have my daughter's old Pre to salvage one from - I'm assuming no difference between the Pre and Pre2's cable - but it doesn't look like fun trying to get the old one out and the new one back in, positioned just right and all.

Thanks again for all the help. You've went above and beyond, that's for certain. I think I'm well beyond just "owing you a beer" - I think I owe you dinner and an introduction to my sister.
    The preplus and pre2 have the same cable from the breakdowns I have looked at. You can also order them from what I have read, I would get a spare... Thanks for the beer and I am married, but don't offer your sister out... She might not like it...
  11.    #11  
    Well after all that the problem did end up being the ribbon cable. I was honestly a scared to try it and had low expectations, especially given that the phone was supposedly an HP clearance item and hadn't had any use. It just didn't seem likely that the cable was damaged, but I'll be darned - I'm finally in business. I had given up on this phone and was ready to buy another.

Thanks for all the help John. It might seem like wasted effort but to make sure it's not I'll keep my promise and update the wiki with the additional info you provided so it'll be there for others in the future. It's the helpful people like you that make this forum what it is.

Thanks again,
    Tim