Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By laingman
  1.    #1  
    ... I'm loving it! Bought one unlocked off of eBay for about 100, and it completely blows anything else I have used out the water. The way that webOS flows is simply amazing, and the Pre 2 hardware itself is beautifully sculpted, and I love the mix of gorilla glass and soft touch plastic. I find the device to be well weighted and never seems to freeze or suddenly run out of power like my BlackBerry Curve & Motorola Flipout did. I honestly cannot think why these wonderful little phones didn't sell well.
    branding, sales & marketing problem. HP bet on the future and did not market the phone. By the time the 2 came out Sprint gave up and AT&T and Verizon never really got behind it from a sales standpoint.
    Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by immovablesoup View Post
    ... I'm loving it! Bought one unlocked off of eBay for about 100, and it completely blows anything else I have used out the water. The way that webOS flows is simply amazing, and the Pre 2 hardware itself is beautifully sculpted, and I love the mix of gorilla glass and soft touch plastic. I find the device to be well weighted and never seems to freeze or suddenly run out of power like my BlackBerry Curve & Motorola Flipout did. I honestly cannot think why these wonderful little phones didn't sell well.
    I don't mean to be negative, but own the phone for a little longer and you'll have an understanding why they didn't sell well. The gesture interface is great, and the notification system (Synergy) is good, but from my own personal experience webOS is slow (relative to other mobile OS) and needs fairly frequent reboots, while the Pre 2 has mediocre battery life at best and has so-so build quality compared to many other pocket computer devices (or at least the ones I own/am most familiar with - see my signature).

IMO, had Palm/HP released the Palm Pre 2 as the original Palm Pre (in mid-2009) and released the HP Pre 3 as the Palm Pre 2 (in late 2010/early 2011), webOS wouldn't have been discontinued by HP and then been made open source because webOS (and the device we know as the Pre 2) would have grabbed more market share and been a more serious competitor in the mobile OS "wars".

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
    I don't mean to be negative, but own the phone for a little longer and you'll have an understanding why they didn't sell well. The gesture interface is great, and the notification system (Synergy) is good, but from my own personal experience webOS is slow (relative to other mobile OS) and needs fairly frequent reboots, while the Pre 2 has mediocre battery life at best and has so-so build quality compared to many other pocket computer devices (or at least the ones I own/am most familiar with - see my signature).

IMO, had Palm/HP released the Palm Pre 2 as the original Palm Pre (in mid-2009) and released the HP Pre 3 as the Palm Pre 2 (in late 2010/early 2011), webOS wouldn't have been discontinued by HP and then been made open source because webOS (and the device we know as the Pre 2) would have grabbed more market share and been a more serious competitor in the mobile OS "wars".
    I disagree. It didn't sell well because its hard to convince people that a phone made by palm could be better than one made apple or google.

I can show my gf how the pre2 runs circles around her iphone in so many ways, and she still believes that iphone must be better even its harder to use.
    TJB likes this.
    Two words: Portrait slider.

Two more words: Cramped hands.

As much as I want to say I love my Pre 2, I basically just use it as a portable notification device and the occasional phone call. When I receive notifications, I grab my TouchPad.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Two words: Portrait slider.

Two more words: Cramped hands.

As much as I want to say I love my Pre 2, I basically just use it as a portable notification device and the occasional phone call. When I receive notifications, I grab my TouchPad.
    I like the portrait slider. Its easy to use if you just type and don't try to aim, same for the virtual keyboard. Also I am just the opposite, as much as I would like to say I love my touchpad I just use it as an alarm clock and to play music when I take a shower. Freetether and laptop for me.
    Last edited by laingman; 02/19/2012 at 05:34 PM.
    I need to get the virtual keyboard installed on my Pre2, I have it on my Pre+, but I got sick of messing with them all over and over after I got the Pre2, so I haven't done much to it. The screen is a little small for a vkb, but it's still better than having to slide it open all the time.

Some people presumably love the portrait slider -- apparently the former Palm engineers couldn't get enough of it.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I like the weight, feel, and balance of the pre 2. Also like that it looks quite different from today's oversized smartphones.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Still love my Pre 2. Some of the bugs in webOS are annoying, but having used my wife's iPhone 4S a good big (mostly to admin it and set things up for her), I'll live with them. The interface on the iPhone, while beautiful in it's own right, is a pain to use, especially when you first realize that apps you "closed" and come back to are still at the same spot and you can't figure out how to get out of that spot (namely, the wife and I were utterly confused when Google Maps kept showing a route we looked up, and we couldn't get rid of the dang thing. Ultimately I realized that the app never actually closed, and had to read up on how to actually close it.). Going back isn't always intuitive like it is in webOS. It's also nice having a real keyboard.

Hopefully, Open webOS 1.0 will fix a lot of stuff and be available for the carrier phones, or at least be available via MetaDoctor. They are replacing the Javascript core and the webKit/browser, both of which or supposed to be significantly faster and improved. My phone is now 8 months old, and still feels almost like new. My Pre+ showed more wear after the same period of time and had me itching to switch to a Pre 2 or wait for the Pre 3 (I'm glad I didn't wait any longer!). So far so good.
    yeah. one year later and pre2 still looks brand new and I am a naked phone guy.
    I'm loving my pre2, off ebay, great build quality good enough battery life good size, etc.

what is driving me batty is daily,sometimes 2-3 random reboots throughout the day. I can't for the life figure out what's causing it but it seems to happen more so with email, twitter,facebook, and auctionmate.

its bad enough it has me thinking of moving to another phone.

other than that its a great little device and much much better than my previous pre plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
    I don't mean to be negative, but own the phone for a little longer and you'll have an understanding why they didn't sell well. The gesture interface is great, and the notification system (Synergy) is good, but from my own personal experience webOS is slow (relative to other mobile OS) and needs fairly frequent reboots, while the Pre 2 has mediocre battery life at best and has so-so build quality compared to many other pocket computer devices (or at least the ones I own/am most familiar with - see my signature)
    Maybe it's just my android phone then, but the Samsung Galaxy W is very slow and buggy, won't update to a new software version which I read is available it keeps telling me it's up to date. Fails to send text messages every time you seem to move to a new part of the house. You delete an app and there is a gap in the UI there is no auto flow, has a stupid lock screen that you can't switch off, apps don't close even if you think they are closed, available RAM is about 85MB out of 500MB even with no apps running. It freezes at least 3 times a day and have to take the battery out, I can't delete certain Apps that came with the phone, can't view things like ITV player or the BBC iPlayer apps unless it's on wifi for some odd reason, overall not impressed with Android or my new Samsung phone tbh...

Oh and lastly support... you go to Android Central and they shove every new phone at you, try and find something on the SGW which is 4/5 months old and it's almost impossible, I find out that it won't get an official update to ICS from Samsung either and this is for a brand new less than a year old phone!

I will end up going back to my Pre 2 I just know it, ok so I can't play the latest Angry Birds or Words with Friends or use Whatsapp but I get to use a sturdy phone, with good battery life, it's fast and rarely if ever freezes on me and can use mobile versions of apps that I am missing.
    Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leobloom View Post
    Maybe it's just my android phone then, but the Samsung Galaxy W is very slow and buggy, won't update to a new software version which I read is available it keeps telling me it's up to date. Fails to send text messages every time you seem to move to a new part of the house. You delete an app and there is a gap in the UI there is no auto flow, has a stupid lock screen that you can't switch off, apps don't close even if you think they are closed, available RAM is about 85MB out of 500MB even with no apps running. It freezes at least 3 times a day and have to take the battery out, I can't delete certain Apps that came with the phone, can't view things like ITV player or the BBC iPlayer apps unless it's on wifi for some odd reason, overall not impressed with Android or my new Samsung phone tbh...

Oh and lastly support... you go to Android Central and they shove every new phone at you, try and find something on the SGW which is 4/5 months old and it's almost impossible, I find out that it won't get an official update to ICS from Samsung either and this is for a brand new less than a year old phone!

I will end up going back to my Pre 2 I just know it, ok so I can't play the latest Angry Birds or Words with Friends or use Whatsapp but I get to use a sturdy phone, with good battery life, it's fast and rarely if ever freezes on me and can use mobile versions of apps that I am missing.
    Though I like my Droid 2 (because it was my first smartphone and also because I love smartphones in general - notwithstanding my comments about the Pre 2 above, I like the Pre 2 as well and genuinely like webOS or at least the best aspects of webOS), I've really soured on Android over the last 4-6 months or so and don't consider myself an Android fan. I think anyone who has owned an Android device, especially a single-core Android device, for 6 months or longer and says he/she hasn't experienced lag on the device is lying. The fragmentation - not just between "major" iterations of Android like 2.2 Froyo, 2.3 Gingerbread, and 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich but between the minor variations of Android WITHIN a particular operating system version - is absolutely ridiculous. My Droid 2 is currently on Android 2.3.3, which is a version of Gingerbread that has missing functionality IMO (like not being able to receive e-mails through Hotmail in the native e-mail setup; I needed to download Microsoft's Hotmail app for Android to get my Hotmail e-mails to come through ); there are also Gingerbread versions up to 2.3.7!!! What kind of nonsense is that!?! Android is also not particularly user-friendly; finding what you need on an Android smartphone can be tricky until you've used it for awhile. The bottom line to me is that any operating system that requires you to root your phone (which for a non-techie person like me doesn't sound all that appealing) definitely has some issues. (I should note there are aspects of Android I do like, like the high number of free apps, widgets, and greater settings control.)

Having said the above, I still stand by my comments about the Pre 2 (and webOS in general). When I read webOS Nation and see various posters who have been willing to replace their webOS smartphones 5 or even 10 times during the course of a 2 year contract, I'm amazed because I know I would never be willing to do that, even if I really liked the user interface (which like most people who have used webOS, I do). It amazes me even more how Palm and HP (especially Palm before they were bought by HP) put out devices that clearly had substandard hardware (more specifically, I'm referring to build quality) relative to the competition - didn't Palm/HP know that would turn most users away and limit long-term mass adoption of webOS by consumers? I'm hopeful but not overly optimistic that some company - maybe HTC, maybe a Chinese company like ZTE, maybe HP itself - will make a well-made, high quality webOS smartphone or tablet in the future that addresses many of the hardware-related issues pretty much all webOS devices, in varying degrees, have been plagued with (IMO) since webOS devices were first introduced in 2009, and help keep webOS alive. Obviously only time will tell if that actually happens.

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I need to get the virtual keyboard installed on my Pre2, I have it on my Pre+, but I got sick of messing with them all over and over after I got the Pre2, so I haven't done much to it. The screen is a little small for a vkb, but it's still better than having to slide it open all the time.

Some people presumably love the portrait slider -- apparently the former Palm engineers couldn't get enough of it.
    How does one go about installing a vkb on a palm pre 2?:O
    Quote Originally Posted by icuys1600 View Post
    How does one go about installing a vkb on a palm pre 2?:O
    This thread:

http://forums.webosnation.com/showthread.php?f=240&t=304844
    Last edited by laingman; 04/09/2012 at 09:16 PM.