Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I know, I know.........its a dead OS...there are no Apps....Blah Blah Blah.......I friggin luv this thing. I could no longer take my Pre - getting hung up and just not functioning correctly.

I have to admit, I was a little apprehensive and thought I got in over my head but it really was not that bad. The Comm board swap was the easy part for me ( except the volume controls, every time I take apart my Pre -, my controls get <messed> up. what is with those little dots anyway).

The scary part for me was that I am not Linux literate and had to read everything about a hundred times. I did not delete my profile and everything came back up no problem.

Just wanted to say that if you were thinking about doing this but were scared....don't be. Be cautious but it really is not as hard as it first seems....definitely worth the time. It took me about 6 hours and most of that time was downloading and installing software and figuring out how to use it.

Ok thats it.........Peace!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02/15/2012 at 12:21 AM. Reason: language
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Well said, and thanks for sharing!
    "Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter can be said to remedy anything."
    ~ Kurt Vonnegut
    Pretty cool, isn't it? Did mine last month. Best move made on a cell phone I've done.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Hey mranieri, I just franken Pre'd my minus to a Pre2 today as well. I agree with everything that you said. The hardware part was actually the easiest part of the whole process. I looked at the pictures and watched a quick video and it was very straight forward. The Linux stuff was where I had to slow down, read through and make sure that I was doing everything correctly.

Now that I have it done though I have been loving it since this morning. Here's to another 2+ years with my next Pre!
    Cyberpmg likes this.
    Must be something in the water. I frankenpre2'd as well today. So far so good. I started from never having touched Linux to now having a dual-boot linux machine and a sprint pre2. I felt a bit in over my head at times, but pretty much everything worked perfect first try. Here's to keeping the dream alive.
    Cyberpmg likes this.
    Congrats guys.....the pre2 is the best smartphone

Now what are going to do with that ten bucks you saved from sprint

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    the same thing we try to do every day Pinky.....Try to take over the WORLD!
  8. TJB
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I have my Pre 2 but am not good at taking things apart and putting back together so I keep putting it off. I think the software part will be easier. Anyone near Chicago willing to help with the hardware conversion?
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    I have my Pre 2 but am not good at taking things apart and putting back together so I keep putting it off. I think the software part will be easier. Anyone near Chicago willing to help with the hardware conversion?
    Honestly...take your time and follow the instructions. six screws, four little tabs for the keyboard, the dam volume rocker and the small comm board connectors...thats it.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmark86 View Post
    hey mranieri, here's to another 2+ years with my next pre!
    exactly! :d
    Quote Originally Posted by mranieri View Post
    Honestly...take your time and follow the instructions. six screws, four little tabs for the keyboard, the dam volume rocker and the small comm board connectors...thats it.
    I'm getting ready to do mine. I bought an unlocked pre2 for this. The problem I am running into is that the volume switches seem to be glued onto the pre2's case. Anybody else experience this? Best way to get them off?
    : (){:|:&};:
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    I'm getting ready to do mine. I bought an unlocked pre2 for this. The problem I am running into is that the volume switches seem to be glued onto the pre2's case. Anybody else experience this? Best way to get them off?
    Knobby, are your speaking about the plastic cover that snaps in or the electronic board that the plastic presses?

The electronic board is on its base with a little adhesive but it shouldn't be to difficult to remove. Putting back is another matter!
    Quote Originally Posted by mranieri View Post
    Knobby, are your speaking about the plastic cover that snaps in or the electronic board that the plastic presses?

The electronic board is on its base with a little adhesive but it shouldn't be to difficult to remove. Putting back is another matter!
    No, the volume rocker switch is actually stuck onto the piece of the phone rather than just sliding out. Weird because no instructions or threads I have read mention this at all. I definitely don't want to risk breaking the volume switch ribbon, that's for sure! This wasn't the case when taking apart the pre-. The switch just came out as one would expect there.

FWIW, it's an unlocked pre2, not a verizon one.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    No, the volume rocker switch is actually stuck onto the piece of the phone rather than just sliding out. Weird because no instructions or threads I have read mention this at all. I definitely don't want to risk breaking the volume switch ribbon, that's for sure! This wasn't the case when taking apart the pre-. The switch just came out as one would expect there.

FWIW, it's an unlocked pre2, not a verizon one.
    Hey Knobbysideup,
    Do you know if it is a GSM or a CDMA pre2 and what carrier are you trying to get it working with? If it is a GSM pre2 and you want to go to Sprint or Verizon then you will have to switch the whole comms board and antenna plate (the part with the orangish painted on antennas). If it is a verizon/cdma unlocked pre2 and you want to go to Sprint or verizon you can simply switch the comms board. If it is this latter version then you shouldn't have to worry about the volume switch ribbon. The cdma ones are a little nicer because you can keep the speaker and everything from the new pre2.

I'll try and help you out any way that I can.
    Hey Knobbysideup,
    Do you know if it is a GSM or a CDMA pre2 and what carrier are you trying to get it working with? If it is a GSM pre2 and you want to go to Sprint or Verizon then you will have to switch the whole comms board and antenna plate (the part with the orangish painted on antennas). If it is a verizon/cdma unlocked pre2 and you want to go to Sprint or verizon you can simply switch the comms board. If it is this latter version then you shouldn't have to worry about the volume switch ribbon. The cdma ones are a little nicer because you can keep the speaker and everything from the new pre2.

I'll try and help you out any way that I can.
    Crap, that makes sense. From the instructions, it seemed that you'd need to swap the whole bezel regardless, so I just grabbed an unlocked GSM version from ebay. Oh well :-)
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Yeah, oh well. You should be able to peel the volume switch ribbon away from the bezel gently. I think that it is only stuck on with the same type of adhesive as the comms board was. The little plastic volume rocker should just pop out too. I used a small flat tweezers to gently pry the plastic piece out. (Honestly the hardest part of the hardware transition was putting the plastic volume piece back in)

btw, I was on Windows 7 x64 when I did all the software stuff so if you have any questions about that too I'd be more than willing to help.

Good luck
  17. TJB
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Yeah, oh well. You should be able to peel the volume switch ribbon away from the bezel gently. I think that it is only stuck on with the same type of adhesive as the comms board was. The little plastic volume rocker should just pop out too. I used a small flat tweezers to gently pry the plastic piece out. (Honestly the hardest part of the hardware transition was putting the plastic volume piece back in)

btw, I was on Windows 7 x64 when I did all the software stuff so if you have any questions about that too I'd be more than willing to help.

Good luck
    tmark, would you be willing to help me get my Pre- converted? I am a launch day pre- user and need some help. I am in the Chicagoland area.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Hey TJB,
    Yeah I would definitely be willing to help out. I can help walk you through some things on these here forums or answer any specific questions you have. PM me if you need some more help than I can offer over the web.
    Franken Pre'd yesterday--great decision. The instructions from webOS internals were perfect. I also ran into the volume rocker switch adhesive issue using a Verizon Pre 2. That bugger was really stuck!

Thanks to everyone who contributes to these forums!
    tmark86 likes this.
    Just did that too today! Lovin it so far!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast