Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    I made the jump to a Franken Pre 2 and haven't had too many regrets (though I do miss a few key apps from the Android marketplace), but there are a few things that surprised me about the Pre 2 and webOS 2.2.4. I guess this thread is my way of lamenting the things that my webOS experience has lost since the glory days of the Pre- and webOS 1.4.5. This list is by no means exhaustive, but these are the first ones that come to mind...

• No center button.
      • Maybe I'm just weird, but I miss the center button. It gave a tactile anchor point that could be used to ensure that the phone is oriented correctly when pulled out of a pocket without looking. It helped my gesture bar activities register correctly and made it a breeze to return to card view. The light bar on the Pre 2 is pretty and all, but I frequently find my gesture area taps and swipes fail to register because my thumb has strayed too far below the screen... and I can't count the number of times I've pulled the phone out of my pocket and tried to slide or otherwise power it up only to realize I was holding it upside down.
    • An aging and unsupported Facebook app.
      • When I had my Pre-, the Facebook app was the envy of the industry... or at least pretty close to it. Why oh why couldn't HP have forked some cash over to Ben and Dion after they left to encourage the continued development of the Facebook app? I'm not a big Facebook user, but I would like to be able to 'like' comments, view high-res albums without launching a browser, etc...
    • Touchscreen accuracy.
      • Perhaps I was spoiled by the large screen of an Evo 3D, but I don't recall having any accuracy issues with my Pre- whereas the Pre 2 can be challenging at times to hit even not-so-small buttons. Swiping to delete e-mails and notifications is notably more difficult than before. It could all be in my head, but the experience with touch input does not seem to live up to my recollection of the Pre-.
    • Universal Search
      • The utility of Just Type is great, and maybe I need to spend more time setting it up. However, I find that the speed at which it suggests apps/contacts/etc... is slower than Universal Search despite the improved hardware. Above all else, I fell in love with webOS for the ability to start typing anything and be one click away from what I wanted after only a few letters. Now I find that I've almost typed a full name before the contact or app I'm after is suggested.

I don't regret ditching Android and returning to webOS, and my intention is not to bash webOS in this thread, but I've got to admit that it feels like certain things have changed since HP took the reigns and I'm curious if others have had these observations or have any tips for restoring some of the minor niceties that really tied the user experience together.
    "Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter can be said to remedy anything."
    ~ Kurt Vonnegut
    I never owned a minus. I went from a plus to the pre2. There is no comparison as the pre2 left my plus in the dust.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    An aging and unsupported Facebook app.
    Universal Search
    Both right but both webOS related and not Pre2.
    Well Just Type has a lot more options now, e.g. with agendaz you can now even search in calendar (well not directly) or preware (directly) . It's said the slowness has all to do with the usage of db8 which is ditched with open webOS (so speed in this area is just month away )
    It's even worse with sometimes it does not recognise first characters: Initial keystrokes broken after 2.2.4 OTA?
    just deleting last character typed, helps then.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Both right but both webOS related and not Pre2.
    Well Just Type has a lot more options now, e.g. with agendaz you can now even search in calendar (well not directly) or preware (directly) . It's said the slowness has all to do with the usage of db8 which is ditched with open webOS (so speed in this area is just month away )
    It's even worse with sometimes it does not recognise first characters: Initial keystrokes broken after 2.2.4 OTA?
    just deleting last character typed, helps then.
    Here's hoping that Open webOS can be installed on the Pre 2! And thanks for the link; I've encountered the first character flaw a few times but had forgotten about it. Definitely should have put that on my list.
    "Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter can be said to remedy anything."
    ~ Kurt Vonnegut
    Quote Originally Posted by nullity View Post
    [LIST][*]No center button.
    • Maybe I'm just weird, but I miss the center button. It gave a tactile anchor point that could be used to ensure that the phone is oriented correctly when pulled out of a pocket without looking. It helped my gesture bar activities register correctly and made it a breeze to return to card view. The light bar on the Pre 2 is pretty and all, but I frequently find my gesture area taps and swipes fail to register because my thumb has strayed too far below the screen... and I can't count the number of times I've pulled the phone out of my pocket and tried to slide or otherwise power it up only to realize I was holding it upside down.
    I must say I did like that center button too. It seems only natural that people who like physical keyboards might also like a hardware button here or there for the same reasons.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I just made the switch as well from a Pre- to a Franken Pre 2.

I have to agree that in about a week of use my thumb still tends to search for the little center button to quickly orient the phone. It was also nice when the screen would turn off while I had the phone open to be able to quickly push that button to have the screen turn back on.

I also miss some of the patches and customization abilities that were available on 1.4.5. I have a TouchPad as well so I knew some of the limitations regarding the app launcher but not being able to create a nice 4x4 icon grid in my app launcher has definitely been something to get used to.

I'm sure that as I use it more I will grow to enjoy it esp. card stacks and voice dialing but its hard not to be a little nostalgic when I had the Pre- for almost 3 years.

Tmark86