1.    #1  
    Hey - quick sprint Frankenpre question - I got an Evo 3D by accident (well... almost accident) at the beginning of December so I activated it on my account. I am obviously under impressed with the operating system but am finding the app development awesome as would be typical of anyone in the situation. Now I am trying to reactivate my Sprint Frankenpre and it gets service like a phone would but I don't get any data service. If I remember right, I had this issue before. I'm pretty sure I will solve the problem by activating it in the pre again and then transferring the board. Has anyone else had this issue? Think this will solve it? Will I need to redoctor the pre2 once I put my com board back in? Thanks!
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    I haven't had this problem since my Sprint Franken Pre 2 has never been deactivated, but I'm pretty sure putting the com board back in the original Pre will allow successful reactivation. Maybe someone with more experience on this will chime in to confirm.

I can say with a fairly high degree of certainty that you shouldn't need to doctor again since your Franken Pre 2 already has the metadoctored webOS version on it. It will be oblivious to the fact that the com board was removed and then reinstalled.
    "Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter can be said to remedy anything."
    ~ Kurt Vonnegut
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    you'll need to put the board back in the minus and probably doctor back to 1.4.5 to actually turn it on and complete activation. But yes, back to minus, activate with sprint and make sure you update prl's, then back in the 2 and metadoctor.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    With everything we've all learned....

Isn't is possible to either get the provisioning apps running on pre2...

OR ... Is it possible to boot an img over USB with version 1.4.5 that would be able to run the provisioning software?
    (I do know that pre2 never had 1.4.x and shipped with 2.x....)

I know I'm grasping at straws here, but my original pre is no longer functioning, and I'd really like my data service back -- for the sole fact that it keeps trying to get data... and makes the same sound as recieving a text message, even though I turned data off.

In my case, my mom got a replacement palm pre - from sprint under insurance, when her touchscreen stopped working, and they accidentally activated it on my line rather than hers (we have a shared plan).... now that they "reversed" the activation and moved her pre back to the correct line, my data doesn't work..... boo
    Quote Originally Posted by gfdos.sys View Post

OR ... Is it possible to boot an img over USB with version 1.4.5 that would be able to run the provisioning software?

I know I'm grasping at straws here, but my original pre is no longer functioning, and I'd really like my data service back -- for the sole fact that it keeps trying to get data... and makes the same sound as recieving a text message, even though I turned data off.

In my case, my mom got a replacement palm pre - from sprint under insurance, when her touchscreen stopped working, and they accidentally activated it on my line rather than hers (we have a shared plan).... now that they "reversed" the activation and moved her pre back to the correct line, my data doesn't work..... boo
    I do not have sprint, but the provisioning software for sprint was unofficially (leaked) release in a sprint webOS doctor for the pre device. I assume if someone got that leaked doctor and extracted the provisioning software then the can test this theory. As we are in the existing state of chaos, I assume hp/palm/sprint could care less, but I will not post the doctor name (although it is on several posts and there is even an entire thread on it), nor will I post the name of the provisioning software IPK. But it would be worth a shot?
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfdos.sys View Post

The problem is that Sprint's servers aren't going to recognize the device software that is trying to pull down the provisioning information and for obvious security reason's won't give out your information. Even if we could change the software to lie to the server so it believes it has the old software, we may run in to some legal ramifications. Honestly it's against your Sprint contract to be running a non-Sprint approved device with non-Sprint approved software on it. We are just lucky they haven't shut the program down. I'm sure if we where doing this to Verizon the party would had been over a long time ago.

You may be able to manually provision the device but I haven't been able to get passwords and usernames from Sprint for this for a long time. Usually you have to get really deep in tech support and you won't get far when you tell them you have a Pre2 and if you say you have a Pre they will tell you to take it in for service.

In sort you have to use the old phone because of the old software.
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrblueskys View Post
    Hey - quick sprint Frankenpre question - I got an Evo 3D by accident (well... almost accident) at the beginning of December so I activated it on my account. I am obviously under impressed with the operating system but am finding the app development awesome as would be typical of anyone in the situation. Now I am trying to reactivate my Sprint Frankenpre and it gets service like a phone would but I don't get any data service. If I remember right, I had this issue before. I'm pretty sure I will solve the problem by activating it in the pre again and then transferring the board. Has anyone else had this issue? Think this will solve it? Will I need to redoctor the pre2 once I put my com board back in? Thanks!
    OK, I just bought the galaxy nexus on sprint and couldn't use it for more than one week. Too many problems: 3g service cut in and out esp while streaming music. Also, my home is a dead zone and since I can't force roaming on the nexus like I can on the Pre, 50% of my texts where not able to be sent without continued re tries.

So, after I went to the sprint site and reactivated the Pre-, I noticed that when I was on my way to work, I couldn't get data to work. Calls went through just fine. What I did was (and mind you I have a ridiculous amount of patches installed), I kept turning the radio off and on, tried data off and on, and then with no luck and lots of frustration, I finally went to the phone app, went into the preferences (you know by swiping down from the top left, and simply UPDATED NETWORK SETTINGS !!! That was it. From that point forward, my EV icon was back up and running! Let me know if this fix works for your phone...

Dan
    Last edited by voltageROCK; 05/16/2012 at 08:22 PM.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    OK, I just bought the galaxy nexus on sprint and couldn't use it for more than one week. Too many problems: 3g service cut in and out esp while streaming music. Also, my home is a dead zone and since I can't force roaming on the nexus like I can on the Pre, 50% of my texts where not able to be sent without continued re tries.

So, after I went to the sprint site and reactivated the Pre-, I noticed that when I was on my way to work, I couldn't get data to work. Calls went through just fine. What I did was (and mind you I have a ridiculous amount of patches installed), I kept turning the radio off and on, tried data off and on, and then with no luck and lots of frustration, I finally went to the phone app, went into the preferences (you know by swiping down from the top left, and simply UPDATED NETWORK SETTINGS !!! That was it. From that point forward, my EV icon was back up and running! Let me know if this fix works for your phone...

Dan
    By default the Pre2 device is not setup to show the update PRL or the update Network Settings buttons....

but if you use impostah or sqlite3 one can set these system preferences...

showUpdatePRL (set to true), and showUpdateNetworkSettings (set to true), then with the provisioning software I think this would work, but again I do not have sprint and can not test it...

Command Lines if you do not see them there:
    # luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.systemservice/setPreferences '{"showUpdatePRL": true}'
    # luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.systemservice/setPreferences '{"showUpdateNetworkSettings": true}'

FYI the provisioning software for 1.4.5 for sprint and 1.4.5 for Bell Mobility are the same (comparing the IPKS). So there is nothing special about the provisioning software...

Again, I will not explain the files needed google is ones friend...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 12/17/2013 at 08:09 PM.