1.    #1  
    Hello everyone,

I bought a Pre 2 in september 2011.

It worked fine for 2 months but then at some day I tried to open the email app but it didnt load the card with the flashing logo came but thats it. I tried to open other apps but the same thing happened.

So eventually I pressed and hold the power button to restart it. Normally you would get the 3 power buttons (restart, aeroplane, etc.) but I only got a black area where the buttons are supposed to be.

I then removed the battery and tried to boot it again. The HP logo showed up but before it glows it reboots and shows the logo again. And then it reboots and shows the logo again.. forever

Doctoring it did also not work. It disconnects at 8% wich, according to the WebOS Internals page (How to recover page) indicates that I have a corrupted USB drive.

So, I tried to use the memboot method discribed there but shortly after I type 'mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media' it goes in to its lovely little bootloop again.

I also tried the complete filesystem creation but it reboots as soon as I try to remove store..

Is this hardware failure or can it be salvaged?

I have no idea how to repair my Pre 2 and unfortunately the company from wich I bought it doesn't have a clue either... They sent me to another company.. and that company took 2 months to find out that they cant repair it because they're not certified and they have no place to send it to (Palm for example..).

It's now here with me again and I'll be shipping it back the company from wich I purchased and then they will send it to HP.. Unless ofcourse you guys can figure this out

Kind regards,

Tetryon
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetryon View Post
    Hello everyone,

I bought a Pre 2 in september 2011.

It worked fine for 2 months but then at some day I tried to open the email app but it didnt load the card with the flashing logo came but thats it. I tried to open other apps but the same thing happened.

So eventually I pressed and hold the power button to restart it. Normally you would get the 3 power buttons (restart, aeroplane, etc.) but I only got a black area where the buttons are supposed to be.

I then removed the battery and tried to boot it again. The HP logo showed up but before it glows it reboots and shows the logo again. And then it reboots and shows the logo again.. forever

Doctoring it did also not work. It disconnects at 8% wich, according to the WebOS Internals page (How to recover page) indicates that I have a corrupted USB drive.

So, I tried to use the memboot method discribed there but shortly after I type 'mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media' it goes in to its lovely little bootloop again.

I also tried the complete filesystem creation but it reboots as soon as I try to remove store..

Is this hardware failure or can it be salvaged?

I have no idea how to repair my Pre 2 and unfortunately the company from wich I bought it doesn't have a clue either... They sent me to another company.. and that company took 2 months to find out that they cant repair it because they're not certified and they have no place to send it to (Palm for example..).

It's now here with me again and I'll be shipping it back the company from wich I purchased and then they will send it to HP.. Unless ofcourse you guys can figure this out

Kind regards,

Tetryon
    If one has the time, they could rebuild the linux volume...

The big issue is if you do not have the correct structure the doctor will fail..

Do something like this
    Reboot your device in recovery mode - Unplug USB, take out battery, wait 15 seconds or so, plug battery (close case), while holding down the Up volume key, plug USB...
    You should see a big USB symbol...

Now if you already extracted the webosdoctor great, if not one can use meta-doctor, or copy the file and then change the type from .jar to .zip now unzip it look for nova-installer-image-roadrunner.uImage

As long as you have novacomd and novacom installed (SDK)

then the rest should work, now I have not tested this on my Pre2, but I did this on my PixiPlus and it worked fine, when I ran the doctor it then removed it all, and rebuilt the whole thing...

Create a Bash script that fixes the partitions, this will create a PIXI webOS 2.1.0 lvm structure which does not matter it will be leveled by the doctor (I am using part of NuttyBunnys code from Makefile-modem.txt, all the work goes to him, if you wish you can use his script and modify it to use your Pre2 doctor)...

#!/bin/bash
    novacom -w boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-roadrunner.uImage
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure
    for i in `novacom -w run file://bin/ls /dev/store`; do \
    echo "deleting partition $i"; \
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/$i 2> /dev/null ; \
    done

echo "Creating root partition"
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvcreate -L 456M -n root store
    novacom -w run file://sbin/mke2fs.e2fsprogs -- -j -q /dev/store/root
    echo "Creating var partition"
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvcreate -L 64M -n var store
    novacom -w run file://sbin/mke2fs.e2fsprogs -- -j -q /dev/store/var
    echo "Creating update partition"
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvcreate -L 16M -n update store
    novacom -w run file://sbin/mke2fs.e2fsprogs -- -j -q /dev/store/update
    echo "Creating log partition"
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvcreate -L 24M -n log store
    novacom -w run file://sbin/mke2fs.e2fsprogs -- -j -q /dev/store/log
    echo "Creating mojodb partition"
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvcreate -L 144M -n mojodb store
    novacom -w run file://sbin/mke2fs.e2fsprogs -- -j -q /dev/store/mojodb
    echo "Creating filecche partition"
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvcreate -L 136M -n filecache store
    novacom -w run file://sbin/mke2fs.e2fsprogs -- -j -q /dev/store/filecache
    echo "Creating swap partition"
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvcreate -L 168M -n swap store
    novacom -w run file://sbin/mkswap.util-linux-ng -- /dev/store/swap
    echo "Creating media partition"
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvcreate -l +100%FREE -n media store
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/mkdosfs -- -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media

Now this in theory will wipe the lvm (assuming yours is already wiped, otherwise back it up) and re-create a new one, this will not touch any NVITEMS so your device will stay a Pre2, now use the doctor to revive it back to working state...

When you run the doctor do it from a command line java -jar webosdoctor.jar, then if you have issues you can post the output and we can see what problem you are having...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 02/21/2012 at 08:12 AM.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post

The big issue is if you do not have the correct structure the doctor will fail..

Do something like this
    Reboot your device in recovery mode - Unplug USB, take out battery, wait 15 seconds or so, plug battery (close case), while holding down the Up volume key, plug USB...

Now if you already extracted the webosdoctor great, if not one can use meta-doctor, or copy the file and then change the type from .jar to .zip now unzip it look for nova-installer-image-roadrunner.uImage

then the rest should work, now I have not tested this on my Pre2, but I did this on my PixiPlus and it worked fine, when I ran the doctor it then removed it all, and rebuilt the whole thing...

Create a Bash script that fixes the partitions, this will create a PIXI webOS 2.1.0 lvm structure which does not matter it will be leveled by the doctor (I am using part of NuttyBunnys code from Makefile-modem.txt, all the work goes to him, if you wish you can use his script and modify it to use your Pre2 doctor)...

#!/bin/bash
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure
    echo "deleting partition $$i"; \
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/$$i 2> /dev/null ; \
    done

novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvcreate -L 136M -n filecache store
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvcreate -l +100%FREE -n media store

Now this in theory will wipe the lvm (assuming yours is already wiped, otherwise back it up) and re-create a new one, this will not touch any NVITEMS so your device will stay a Pre2, now use the doctor to revive it back to working state...

When you run the doctor do it from a command line java -jar webosdoctor.jar, then if you have issues you can post the output and we can see what problem you are having...
    I have the same problem, on the pre3. Will your script work on the pre 3 as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by getsun View Post
    I have the same problem, on the pre3. Will your script work on the pre 3 as well?
    using the manta uImage (nova-installer-image-mantaray.uImage) instead yes it should work (script was modified see my post removed double $$ should be one $), now Rod responded that your flash chip is toast... So I am not sure, but it is worth a try...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 02/21/2012 at 08:13 AM.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    using the manta uImage (nova-installer-image-mantaray.uImage) instead yes it should work (script was modified see my post removed double $$ should be one $), now Rod responded that your flash chip is toast... So I am not sure, but it is worth a try...
    John,

Tried it, didnt work. Thanks for the help anyway.
  6.    #6  

Do something like this

#!/bin/bash
    echo "deleting partition $i"; \
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/$i 2> /dev/null ; \
    done

So I could just follow these steps or should i modify the script you posted?