1.    #1  
    My Pre2 has 1) started having the battery drained a lot faster and 2) the back feels pretty warm. This happens after it has been off the charger - I'm not talking about it being warm from being on the Touchstone.

I have installed and uninstalled a variety of patches and stuff. I sort of figure it's a result of something going wonky in the OS after doing these installs and uninstalls. Does one periodically need to re-image it to get it back to a solid base? BTW, if I take off the back, it's not the battery per se that is warm but rather that area to the left of the SIM card - where the SIM insertion instructions are.

Thanks.

Jim
    Does this occur when you're on wifi? if so, you could try the "turn wifi off when phone is off" setting, or whatever it's called.

Or try using a different kernel. UberKernel does fix some of these type oddities.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. I'm not totally sure but I think it happens whether I'm on wifi or not.

I've installed UK. I'll be interested to see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Jim
    I too have this problem occasionally. I 'feel' it started after the 2.2.4 update. As I'm almost always around Wi-Fi, the phone is mostly in 2G and Data Off mode for max battery life. Sometimes I notice the hot spot on the back of the phone where you describe it and a rapidly fading battery. I've run the homebrew Battery Monitor and it tells me that the phone is taking well over 100mA when idle. Normally it's less than 10mA !!

At first I restarted the phone and things would generally be okay. Then I found that simply turning Wi-Fi off and back on again did the trick. So I think it's a Wi-Fi problem. I also get the random Wi-Fi disconnects and occasional "won't automatically connect to known network" problems reported elsewhere. I've tried both sleep settings and the GuyFromNam's 'patch' - a Wi-Fi file from 2.2.3 Pre 3 - but none of these seem to make any difference. I've been using UberKernel since the 2.2.4 version appeared in Preware so this doesn't seem to be a solution.

So, for now, I'm just putting up with it and cycling Wi-Fi when I notice. About 2 or 3 times a week so it's just bearable. But it would be reeeeeally cool if there was a fix.

JohnC
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I notice this problem too and notice my device temp jumping up to the 112F mark with WiFi off since the 2.2.4 update. If I leave it face down it will cool down. Lay it back down or keep it in my pocket it will continue to run hot and loose anywhere from 25-50% battery life in 1-2 hours. I have to lay it on a cool surface to bring the temp down or it just doesn't come down on its own. I'm using HP Pre2 2.2.4 kernel with only a few patches. Mostly notice when in my pocket for a few hours though, my leg starts getting really hot and I'll check and see the temp at like 116F.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Yeah, I also have the same problem. I have the Pre 2 (unlocked) for about a year now. I upgraded to 2.2.4 when it came out without any problems. Now, all of a sudden, about 4-5 days ago I started having the same problem: the phone warms up and the battery drains in about 3 hours. Also, the bug that the screen turns on for 2 seconds every minute or so appeared (I didn't have it before, but read about other people's experience).
    I ran Dr. Battery and my battery is fine (~84% health). I removed all patches, doctored the phone - to no avail. The only change I did a week ago was to install Calc12CS - and I hardly think it is the problem (although I did remove it all the same, just to be sure). I'm now with UberKernel, but it also happened with the stock kernel.
    Its terrible, I can't use the phone like this. I tried toggling Wi-Fi, but it didn't help.
    Anyone have an idea? Anyone tried to contact HP (I know, I'm optimistic)?

If this won't be solved soon I'll have to move back to my old dumb-phone and consider buying... an Android phone!

Edit:
    I've noticed that Dr. Battery shows that the idle battery consumption is around -300-400 mA. If I go to Airplane mode and back to normal, it lowers to around -100 (mathematically it is actually raised to -100, but you catch my drift ) and a few minutes later it goes back to crazy battery discharge mode.
    Also, surfing/downloading by 3G seems to be affected and is spotty (despite having great 3G coverage where I live).
    I will file a bug report at HP/Palm and keep you updated.
    Last edited by Kilrah_il; 02/12/2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Additional info
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I've also noticed when my phone is running hot that I am all of a sudden roaming where in exactly the same spot under normal conditions I have full 3G coverage....very odd. My phone ONLY goes into roaming when its running hot, otherwise I always have 3G where I use it.
    I get this whenever I turn on Skype (I have some 400 skype contacts, I have a feeling that it's using more bandwidth than is probably good for it), or FreeTether.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I've been having the same issues with battery drain and high battery temp since upgrading to 2.2.4. I've tried many of the ideas posted elsewhere (i.e. Doctoring, wiping out the USB drive, etc) to fix the problem, but I still have a serious battery drain. Any ideas on how to get decent battery life with 2.2.4?
  10.    #10  
    If I totally reset my phone with WebOS Doctor things tend to improve. Additionally, I've found that the (two?) patches focused on smooth scrolling and touch sensitivity (one is Buttah I think) tend to be associated with the battery drain issues. I think on one more than one occasion I've started having issues after installing them. It's completely non-scientific - so I don't necessarily want to throw them under the bus - but that seems to be what I've noticed.

Jim
    I've noticed a similar situation in conjunction with a failing backup. When it does it, open the backup app add see if it is trying to work. Usually a manual start of the backup fixes it.
    Any new tips on solving this issue?
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I sent my device to HP and got a new one. This solved the problem .Also, a problem I had with lexi-comp disappeared, so apparently it was due to the faulty device, and not a problem with a lexi-comp and WebOS. Joy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilrah_il View Post
    I sent my device to HP and got a new one. This solved the problem .Also, a problem I had with lexi-comp disappeared, so apparently it was due to the faulty device, and not a problem with a lexi-comp and WebOS. Joy.
    How did that process work?I bought mine off Ebay, brand new, a few months ago, but I i didn't activate until a couple of weeks ago.
    Is the warranty still good? Was the replacement a refurb or new? and how do I get a replacement?Thanks.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fahzz View Post
    How did that process work?I bought mine off Ebay, brand new, a few months ago, but I i didn't activate until a couple of weeks ago.
    Is the warranty still good? Was the replacement a refurb or new? and how do I get a replacement?Thanks.
    About the warranty, I don't know, but the best thing is to call Palm tech support. They will check if the device is under warranty and guide you through the whole replacement process. I think I got a brand new device, but I can't be sure. So far it is working great.

Good luck