Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By beangeary
  1.    #1  
    I know I will have to change the Comm Board. The question is whether it is better to start with a VZW Pre2 or any GSM Pre2. Given I have to change the Comm board is there a difference in what I use as the starting platform?

Today I use a Pre + doctored to 2.1.

Thanks for the input.
    Quote Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
    I know I will have to change the Comm Board. The question is whether it is better to start with a VZW Pre2 or any GSM Pre2. Given I have to change the Comm board is there a difference in what I use as the starting platform?

Today I use a Pre + doctored to 2.1.

Thanks for the input.
    Why dont you just buy a VZW Pre 2 and use free tether?
    smmullen likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by beangeary View Post
    Why dont you just buy a VZW Pre 2 and use free tether?
    That's what I would likely do (If Verizon ever has a great deal on Pre2's again), but perhaps 'upsidedown' uses a rather large amount of data and is worried that they would exceed the 2GB data limit much more easily than the 5GB MHS data 'limit'.

By the way, is the 2GB a real limit where they (Verizon) will hit you for every kb over, or is it a general limit where they give you some leeway?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

IIRC, the gsm pre2 uses a different bezel,so its a slightly different process.
    Also, supposedly using a gsm pre2 will allow you to get ota updates straight from palm (I'd any ever come).
    As a word of warning, I've done this (I used a vzpre2), and there was a period of time that palm made some changes in their servers and I couldn't access 2.x apps.. So try to use impostah to activate your new phone, so it will be viewed as a pre2, rather than a pre+, to plan's .servers I think this is possible, but don't quote me. :-)
    Good luck, and I think this is a great idea that I encourage everyone to do!
    (hm, I wonder if a vzpre2 bought in the beginning,that came with free mhs, would still eligible for free mhs with a new owner. Probably not, but.. Hmm..)

Aside, I like freetether as I like to tether over USB. I was in discussion (before I changed phone companies) with puff about adding support to his app for using the MHS data allowance and it seemed possible, but someone with mhs would have to work with him on it. As it stands, installing freetether will disable your built-in mhs app.
    palm lineage: VzPre+ to Pre2 to Pre3, now using a AT&T Pre3 on wifi and Panda Touchpad.
    DU unlock codes available (Veers, Pres, etc, Oh my!)
    Has Pre3s & tpFauxG for sale!
    (Sales prices always less than ebay)
    Speaking for myself, i have a 150MB data plan on VZW, but get 5GB free data. Switching the comm board would keep that cheap data plan ($15 for 150mb) while also keeping the 5GB data. That is one reason that freetether wouldn't be the better way to go.
    buy a verizon pre2 from ebay or Craig's list and install freetether. Works like a charm!