Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dr. Aquafresh
  1. Aganar's Avatar
    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
       #1  
    So, firstly, I can't seem to connect to Wifi. At all. The thing is turned on but it's permanently "Searching for Networks". If I manually enter in my house wifi (It's a WEP secured with a password), no matter which settings I try, it says "No network found with that name and that security setting." As I said, my laptop and my Touchpad have no trouble connecting to this network.

    Secondly, I can't seem to charge this thing on a touchstone. I put it on there flush against where the battery is (I lifted off the case to look) and it constantly shifts between charging and discharging, making that docking noise every time.

    This phone is currently on webOS 2.1.0. I didn't want to update it until I was sure I'm going to activate it, and I can't play around with it without activating it, since I can't seem to get the wifi working.

    Finally, the damn thing keeps telling me I have a voicemail message (the one telling me it failed to activate). How do I delete this damn thing?
  2. #2  
    I suggest doctoring to 2.2.4 (webOS Doctor Versions

    and then running devicetool.jar (Developing on an Unactivated Device - near the bottom of the page)

    This will allow you to skip profile activation and have a play with the device, and hopefully resolve your WiFi and Voicemail issues.

    The charging is most likely a faulty Touchstone, I've had the same problem on two separate ones before (now on my third, bought it off eBay recently, no issues.) It's caused by a misaligned charging coil and can be 'fixed' by placing a piece of paper, card or plastic on the touchstone to elevate the phone slightly. Not very visually appealing, but it's cheaper than buying a new one.

    If it works, I'd say give the Pre2 a chance, it's a very nice phone
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
  3. Aganar's Avatar
    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
       #3  
    I'm a little hesitant to doctor because this Pre2 arrived already FrankenPre'd for Sprint and I'm afraid a botched doctoring might leave me up the creek without a paddle if I have to reactivate the COMM board (I have a Sprint Pre here, but I can't open it yet without the screwdriver). Besides, everything I read on this board seems to indicate the updates get more unstable as they go. Why would the 2.2.4 update fix a wifi problem if it's not working in stock?

    Also, putting a piece of paper between the Touchstone and the Pre 2 didn't fix anything. The Touchstone seems to charge the Pre- okay. At the very least it's not rocking the way the Pre 2 is. Is the Pre 2 just more picky with its charger? I could always grab another Touchstone on Amazon for five bucks or so, but again, dunno if I'm even keeping this thing or not.

    Fate is sure not making this easy for me.

    EDIT: Doctored to 2.24. Still no wifi. God dammit.
    Last edited by Aganar; 01/30/2012 at 09:00 PM.
  4. giggles's Avatar
    Posts
    677 Posts
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    #4  
    Hmmm.. Well you were going to need to doctor regardless. I'd just redoctor with a clean one then do the bypass and check WiFi. Plus try checking other networks not just yours.
  5. Aganar's Avatar
    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
       #5  
    Not sure what you mean by networks that are not mine. You want me to try it at a Starbucks?

    Again, my Pre- both found and connected to my home network without problems. I dunno why the Pre 2 is having such trouble.

    EDIT: Ran a quick test. It's saying I have hardware issues.

    Code - Hardware Area:
    25 - Wi-Fi
    20 - Modem

    So now what?
    Last edited by Aganar; 01/30/2012 at 10:06 PM.
  6. #6  
    I bought a used Verizon Pre2 that was supposed to be "like new" and only 2 weeks old. The phone looked new, but it had the issue where the phone kept thinking that there was a headset/headphones plugged in. It turns out, after complaining a few times to the Amazon Marketplace seller, that "his friend" tried to install a different com board, and really botched things up. What gave away that this phone was messed with, was that the battery puller flap was stuck under the battery compartment. I sent it back, and bought a brand new one on Ebay for $140. The used one was $115.
  7. Aganar's Avatar
    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
       #7  
    Went to a Starbucks today, took the Pre2 with me. Could not find any networks nor connect to the one my Touchpad connected to, even when I typed it in manually. The attwifi network was an open network, so if it can't find that I'd say wifi is borked.

    Some googling oddly directed me back here to this topic:
    Wifi not working, after phone hit the floor

    When my t-5 screwdriver arrives in the mail I might try seeing if the wifi antenna just needs adjusting. I may even entertain the idea of swapping out the already-sprint comm board with the sprint comm from my Pre-. But otherwise, I'm sending this thing back and calling it quits on the whole process. I seem to be getting foiled at every turn just trying to play around with this damn phone; I'm done sinking any more time in vain for this.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Aquafresh View Post
    I bought a used Verizon Pre2 that was supposed to be "like new" and only 2 weeks old. The phone looked new, but it had the issue where the phone kept thinking that there was a headset/headphones plugged in. It turns out, after complaining a few times to the Amazon Marketplace seller, that "his friend" tried to install a different com board, and really botched things up. What gave away that this phone was messed with, was that the battery puller flap was stuck under the battery compartment. I sent it back, and bought a brand new one on Ebay for $140. The used one was $115.
    Fyi, I'd bet that the headphone problem you were seeing was actually BECAUSE the battery puller flap was stuck under the compartment. Many people have made that mistake when reassembling, and just carefully sliding the puller flap free fixes the problem.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aganar View Post
    I may even entertain the idea of swapping out the already-sprint comm board with the sprint comm from my Pre-. But otherwise, I'm sending this thing back and calling it quits on the whole process. I seem to be getting foiled at every turn just trying to play around with this damn phone; I'm done sinking any more time in vain for this.
    You are on the right track thinking that the current comm board is borked, because it probably is, so hang in there. Trying the board from your old pre- is a good idea, especially since that's the one you should ultimately activate and use anyway, and it will probably eliminate your whole WiFi problem. It may also solve the charging problem too since the charge contacts for the touchstone battery cover are actually part of the comm board as well. Btw, when you swap over the board from the pre-, leave it attached together to its current bezel/antenna and use that whole piece. Use the touchstone battery cover from the pre- for starters too just to be sure.

    Side note- If the comm board from your old pre- does end up working well in the pre2, just remember that you need to temporarily put it back into the pre- one more time in order to actually activate it. Then you can put it into the pre2 for the last time.
    Last edited by sq5; 01/31/2012 at 10:33 PM.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    Fyi, I'd bet that the headphone problem you were seeing was actually BECAUSE the battery puller flap was stuck under the compartment. Many people have made that mistake when reassembling, and just carefully sliding the puller flap free fixes the problem.
    No, it was a bit more than that. Pulling the battery flap out was the first thing that I tried. And after much more Googling I also tried the compressed air trick, and was ready to use graphite in the jack. But then I noticed, after the compressed air trick, that the phone would go into earpiece mode while shut, but as soon as you opened it, it would go right into headset mode. After even more Googling, I found someone else who had a similar problem, and they ended up taking the phone apart, and bending the contacts on the headphone jack. I wasn't about to do that on this "like new" phone that I just bought, so I just sent it back for a refund.

    My brand new phone has given me zero problems so far.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aganar View Post
    I'm a little hesitant to doctor because this Pre2 arrived already FrankenPre'd for Sprint
    Did you have your own accounts old comm board put in while it was active? From my understanding if you receive a Frankenpre2 and just activate it, it wouldnt operate properly. It has to be an active old pre/pre+ comm board put into the pre 2 to opperate properly and then be meta-doctored, but wouldnt think even if that were the case it would mess with wifi?

    I know there are 2 cables under the flap by the battery that can come loose during a frankenpre, but i think their for gps and the cell radio. Not sure if one of those coming loose would interfere with wifi either?

    Goodluck
  12. Bru3184's Avatar
    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #12  
    the problem I ran into with the headset mode was the foam seal around the speaker/vibrate motor area. It came loose and got tangled in the motor and was pressing against the headphone jack. Took it out, no problems since then.
  13. Aganar's Avatar
    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanCell View Post
    Did you have your own accounts old comm board put in while it was active? From my understanding if you receive a Frankenpre2 and just activate it, it wouldnt operate properly. It has to be an active old pre/pre+ comm board put into the pre 2 to opperate properly and then be meta-doctored, but wouldnt think even if that were the case it would mess with wifi?

    I know there are 2 cables under the flap by the battery that can come loose during a frankenpre, but i think their for gps and the cell radio. Not sure if one of those coming loose would interfere with wifi either?

    Goodluck
    No, nothing has been activated yet. That was the whole point; I'm not activating anything until I get the bloody wifi working, as to do so would be to start paying $80/month for an unlimited plan that I can't undo even if I'm using a broken phone! It shouldn't have anything to do with the wifi anyway--I have a non-activated Pre- that has working wifi.

    And I already checked the cables under the flap. Reseating them didn't do anything for the wifi.

    Does the webos internals guide specify what to do if you're removing the whole bezel instead of just the comm board?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aganar View Post
    No, nothing has been activated yet. That was the whole point; I'm not activating anything until I get the bloody wifi working, as to do so would be to start paying $80/month for an unlimited plan that I can't undo even if I'm using a broken phone! It shouldn't have anything to do with the wifi anyway--I have a non-activated Pre- that has working wifi.
    In case you missed it, take my advice from post #9 (A used Pre 2 arrived in the mail today. Problems already.) and I think you will be on your way to success.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aganar View Post
    Does the webos internals guide specify what to do if you're removing the whole bezel instead of just the comm board?
    Yes. In fact, removing the whole bezel is how the official guide recommends you to do the swap. Besides, it's easier doing it that way than trying to separate the comm board apart anyhow.

    Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals
  15. Aganar's Avatar
    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
       #15  
    So...why does the regular Palm webOS doctor run fine on a Windows Java environment but the metaDoctor requires a ubuntu/linux boot? Can the novacom program not handle the script commands?
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aganar View Post
    So...why does the regular Palm webOS doctor run fine on a Windows Java environment but the metaDoctor requires a ubuntu/linux boot? Can the novacom program not handle the script commands?
    In short, the difference between the regular doctor and the meta-doctor is that the regular doctor file is a ready-to-run java app, whereas the meta-doctor actually creates a custom doctor file from scratch first according to your needs, depending on which of the included scripts you run. Those scripts are are obviously designed to run on linux.

    Once the metadoctor builds a doctor file for you, you can always copy that file to a windows machine and run it from there just like the regular doctor.

    So you may be wondering then why someone doesn't just run each of the metadoctor scripts and then simply post each of the resulting doctor files online so that people can just grab pre-built doctor files rather than individually having to load up linux and deal with building the appropriate doctor files themselves. The answer is that apparently distributing custom/modified doctor files is a legal issue. Using the metadoctor to build them yourself gets around that.
  17. daglesj's Avatar
    Posts
    101 Posts
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    #17  
    I found that best thing for Touchstone boinging was to just slip the plastic cover back on it.

    When I got mine new it just kept boinging all the while till I put the plastic cover back on then it worked perfectly. After 4 months I took it off and its working just fine without it.

    Maybe something needs to 'season' a little.

Posting Permissions