Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I need help from the webOS community. I need to know what you consider a good price for a Verizon Pre 2, used and new.

A couple months ago, I got tired of waiting to see what webOS phones would be coming out so I switched to a Samsung Stratosphere. I got it for free with a 2 year contract extension with VZW. I used it for a month and, honestly, never really acclimated to Android. It was good for some things, but I never got as comfortable with it as I did my Pre+.

Then, a couple weekends ago, my phone was stolen and I ended up activating the Pre+ again. It just feels like home. I know that's corny, but I enjoy my 2.5+ year old Pre+ more than I did my brand new 4G Android phone.

But I need to purchase a new phone to take the stress off my Pre+ of being my everyday device. It still works well, but it's a little long in the tooth and is showing some signs of wear and age.

I want a VZW Pre 2. But they seem kinda expensive for a discontinued phone. So I'm writing this email to ask what you all think is a decent price on a new and used Pre 2. I don't want to get ripped off but I also understand that they aren't free.

And, finally, if any of you have purchased used phones before and have any tips, I'd appreciate you sharing them.

Thanks in advance!
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    I didn't get a good price, but I didn't get a horrible deal either. I paid $140 USD for a new in box Verizon Pre 2. If you look at completed auctions on eBay, you'll find some new phones going for $120 or so... Or for more but with touchstones and accessory bundles.

Used phones seem to go for $80 at the lowest, but be sure to triple-check that the listing is correct. I've had my hopes dashed by sellers who try to pass off a Pre+ as a Pre 2.

I think how good a deal you can get depends on how long you're willing to wait for the right seller to come along. Good luck! I'd say my Pre 2 was worth what I paid.
    Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts
    I bought a new (unopened in box), no-contract VZW Palm Pre 2 for $125 including shipping on eBay back in mid-December.

For whatever it is worth, within eBay you can see selling price trends for individual items (provided there are enough transactions; this feature hasn't been available for the VZW HP Pre 3) over the last 3 months or so, both for auctions and "buy now" purchases. Those recent trends will give you an idea of typical selling prices (though I think they tend to ignore the seller's shipping charge).

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    I also got a new-in-box Pre 2 for ~$150 from eBay that included 2 touchstones and cables. Not the best deal, but from a reputable seller with the extras. Given what you said, it would definitely be worth it to you.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    I paid $140/free shipping for used (like new) Unlocked Pre2 w/touchstone a few weeks ago. Probably can get a better price, but I was impatient. If you're lucky with timing, you'll find a used buy-it-now on EBay for around $80-$100...

Well worth it though to go from Pre- to Franken Pre 2...
    Weren't the Verizon Pre2's only $29.99 for a 2 yr contract? I was about to get one, and today I was going to pitch it to my office (they pay for it so...they get the final say) but Verizon is now offering it for $149.99. That won't happen. The only way I could make a good case to my office was that it would cost so little to get the phone. Alas...I may be doomed to move off webOS...and I just bought SmartOffice this morning (wonder if they will honor me with an Android version?).
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Weren't the Verizon Pre2's only $29.99 for a 2 yr contract? I was about to get one, and today I was going to pitch it to my office (they pay for it so...they get the final say) but Verizon is now offering it for $149.99. That won't happen. The only way I could make a good case to my office was that it would cost so little to get the phone. Alas...I may be doomed to move off webOS...and I just bought SmartOffice this morning (wonder if they will honor me with an Android version?).
    Have you spent any amount of time with another mobile OS recently? You might find yourself footing the bill and returning to webOS. I just came back after a 6~ month hiatus with Android (Evo 3D) and I'm so glad to be back. I tried so hard to like it because I wanted an OS with a certain future, but the only things I enjoyed were the larger screen/resolution, better camera, and a few minor things (such as the facebook app being less buggy than webOS's). Otherwise, it just seemed like a step backward in usability with a different set of bugs. I can say that one benefit of jumping ship and returning is that the Android phone I no longer use can be sold on eBay for significantly more than I invested in my Pre 2.
    "Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter can be said to remedy anything."
    ~ Kurt Vonnegut
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the responses, everyone. I think I'll end up having to go the $125-$150 new, unopened route via ebay. And I appreciate the advice on checking the 2 vs + issue on used phones. I'll make sure to look into that issue.

It's good to be back on webOS. I just need a phone that I'm not worried could die on me in a month or so.
    I tend to see em pop up around 100$ locally (craigslist). I've seen em range from 80$-150$, at any rate, not terribly expensive.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    i paid about $120 for my pre2 on ebay BNIB
    Can anyone verify that I'm not insane...uh...I mean about the $29.99 for new Pre2 with 2-yr contract on Verizon...was that the deal just a few days or a couple of weeks ago?

I feel like I'm taking CRAZY pills! -- Mugatu, Zoolander.

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Can anyone verify that I'm not insane...uh...I mean about the $29.99 for new Pre2 with 2-yr contract on Verizon...was that the deal just a few days or a couple of weeks ago?

I feel like I'm taking CRAZY pills! -- Mugatu, Zoolander.
    You're not insane, but I think they ended it 3 or 4 weeks ago. I've been watching this situation for a couple of months. I couldn't pull the trigger due to losing the free hotspot, notwithstanding free tether.

I'm waiting on an (allegedly) new Pre 2 from Ebay that I paid $155 for, that I plan to set aside for a while, until the Plus breaks.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I bought this pre 2 a few weeks ago but decided to go back to using my Pixi. It's in excellent shape I could do $80 + shipping if you wanted (I've been a ebay member for over 9 years)?
    I bought a new verizon Pre 2 on ebay for $100 plus ship. It was a one day BIN price. I would not pay more than $150 for new and $75 for used..
    I paid $150 for ATT Pre 2 new, to use on TMo.

I say dont pay more than that for a new one, and dont pay more than 80 for used.
    Thank you guys for the offers and the info. My office won't likely let me buy (ok, so THEY are actually buying it) a phone from somewhere other than the provider, especially a 'discontinued' phone on a 'discontinued' OS. I will keep chugging along for now on my Pre+ and maybe Verizon will do another $29.99 deal or something like that.

However, the day will come when I will have to make a choice...if no reasonable (in both my and my Employer's eyes) option in webOS devices exists, I'm guessing an android phone is next. I don't want a giant slab though. The Galaxy Nexus (the new one with Ice Cream Sandwich?) is nice, but too big for my taste.

don't pay more than 80 for used? Really? I bough a pre 2 used for 80 and this baby is like brand new. As long as it works....... I made my point. I even opened it to frankenpre it. Simple. I recommend buying the used ones from a trusted seller. Don't even pay $150 for new. The phone I got has no scratches and then again, we still scratch them with time. This pre 2 is super duper fast.
    don't pay more than 80 for used? Really? I bough a pre 2 used for 80 and this baby is like brand new. As long as it works....... I made my point. I even opened it to frankenpre it. Simple. I recommend buying the used ones from a trusted seller. Don't even pay $150 for new. The phone I got has no scratches and then again, we still scratch them with time. This pre 2 is super duper fast.
    there really isn't many of them left out there which has made the price go up a bit. 80$ is a really good price but a fair price is over 100 forsure for a LNIB phone.
    I paid $140 for a brand new VZW Pre2 on Ebay. I use the phone on Page Plus.
    I think you paid too much..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast