Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By imgreenlantern2
  1.    #1  
    I finally had it with Verizon Wireless' absolutely over priced services and dropped them last month. I went ahead and purchased a Palm Pre 2 unlocked via ebay brand new for $106.00, and took it to Simple Mobile.

So far I'm absolutely loving life. Especially the unlimited everything for $40. Granted, the download speeds are not as good, but I'm pretty much in wifi all the time, so I don't even care.

With that said I am wondering if I am going to be able to flash the new open source Web OS 1.0 onto this phone when it becomes available. I plan on keeping this phone for as long as it dies, and if it does die I'm just going to buy another one off ebay. Why? Simple Mobile is the answer and their $40.00.

So again does anyone know?
    Regarding the data plans, I did something similar with T-Mobile and I'm loving it (even though it's slow). I've had my Pre 2 for a good long time, though.

More on topic, I'm also dying to know if this will happen. If they release new hardware at the time, that would be even better.
  3.    #3  
    I'm right there with you. I am one of those people that prefers functionality over apps and blah blah that is a selling point for other phones.

My wife has a iphone 4 with ios 5 on it and I can't stand it. It's nice looking and all but so is Web OS.

I really came close to getting an Android phone, but again it all goes back to the monthly payment. I refuse to pay $80 a month to have a Android phone.

Let's be honest with "Ice Cream Sandwich" Android has surpassed Web OS finally, especially now that they have ripped off the Cards and put it into the OS. It was coming of course especially since Web OS hasn't been developed for months and months.

For me though the Palm Pre 2 is perfect. I am one of those that absolutely loves the size of the phone. I love the fact it has no buttons on the front but has a keyboard. These Android phones that are coming out now are ABSOLUTELY HUGE! I love the small slim formfactor in my pocket.

Anyway, new hardware would be awesome but I have a feeling unless open source takes off like a bandit we won't see it. BUT, that doesn't mean I won't put it on my Pre 2...as long as all my current apps work with it.

Cheers.
    Rockbeast, hf199 and Loiter like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by imgreenlantern2 View Post
    Anyway, new hardware would be awesome but I have a feeling unless open source takes off like a bandit we won't see it. BUT, that doesn't mean I won't put it on my Pre 2...as long as all my current apps work with it.

Cheers.
    ^ THIS (basically the question in the thread title)^ is a good question...I don't know the answer...anybody? Bueller?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

It might be to early to tell yet

--- sent from communities
    "I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    Thomas Edison
    Global Posts
    801 Global Posts
    I would guess that, given the general spirit of the webOS community and devs, that they would not neglect the pre-existing hardware (pun wasn't intended, but I'll keep it!) with the open software.

My $0.02.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    I would assume since its completely open that someone will get it working. There may not be an official build form HP but i'm sure if it can run someone will make it happen.
    It really depends on what open source WebOS 1 (WebOSOS1) turns out to be. The roadmap has a new kernel, a new Webkit package and new javascript. That pretty much ensures the performance of WebOSOS1 is completely disconnected from WebOS 1-3.

It's possible that one or more of those changes will make WebOS run poorly on less memory/slower cpu/specific GPU/etc. Or it could be an order of magnitude more efficient, having an Uberkernel-ish kernel, a leaner javascript engine, and a blazing UI from the Qt equipped version of Webkit that can tap the GPU. Both are equally plausible.

So really, you won't know until late summer if it's possible at all and even if it is possible probably won't be sure if it's usable until after you download WebOSOS1 and run the Doctor.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    As for existing hardware, it'll be possibly for developers to get Open webOS builds onto their TouchPads over the course of the year, but regular end users — those without hacking chops — can expect an update in "late summer." Surprisingly, HP says that it's "looking" at all webOS devices to see if, when, and how to make Open webOS available for them, so Pre, Pixi, and Veer users of all flavors should keep their hopes up.
    Open webOS 1.0 announced: HP to complete webOS open sourcing by September, Enyo 1.0 and 2.0 code available today | The Verge

Yes it will work on all current and upcoming webos devices. Kingmatz your wrong it'll function fine. Their stripping and adding a more robust environment so itll run faster more then anything.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    Open webOS 1.0 announced: HP to complete webOS open sourcing by September, Enyo 1.0 and 2.0 code available today | The Verge

Yes it will work on all current and upcoming webos devices. Kingmatz your wrong it'll function fine. Their stripping and adding a more robust environment so itll run faster more then anything.
    update in late summer? hrmmm... my verizon contract is up in 3 days, I want a new phone - BUT I want to be able to play with the new open sourced webOS when it comes out. oh the humanity! #firstworldproblem
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    ^ THIS (basically the question in the thread title)^ is a good question...I don't know the answer...anybody? Bueller?
    I tend to think that we'll eventually be able to install Open webOS on any phone that runs a linux kernel (meaning anything sold as an Android device), so it will cease to be an issue. The platform might not grow as it would with new hardware, but things will at least finally be looking up for those of us that are already loyal users.

I'm no expert, though - this is just wishful thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by kigmatzomat View Post
    It really depends on what open source WebOS 1 (WebOSOS1) turns out to be. The roadmap has a new kernel, a new Webkit package and new javascript. That pretty much ensures the performance of WebOSOS1 is completely disconnected from WebOS 1-3.

It's possible that one or more of those changes will make WebOS run poorly on less memory/slower cpu/specific GPU/etc. Or it could be an order of magnitude more efficient, having an Uberkernel-ish kernel, a leaner javascript engine, and a blazing UI from the Qt equipped version of Webkit that can tap the GPU. Both are equally plausible.

So really, you won't know until late summer if it's possible at all and even if it is possible probably won't be sure if it's usable until after you download WebOSOS1 and run the Doctor.
    I think they said it's going to run on a standard linux kernel instead of being an optimized proprietary thing (like the current standard kernel or uberkernel). This would mean a lot of extra kernel modules, I think, but that would really only slow things down at boot-time. I don't think it will be any less efficient than it is now. At least, not perceptively.
    Quote Originally Posted by lupos View Post
    I would assume since its completely open that someone will get it working. There may not be an official build form HP but i'm sure if it can run someone will make it happen.
    If you can get a linux kernel running on your device, you can install Open webOS. I don't even think anyone will need to "make it happen." There will be a device-neutral installer, probably, and that will be that.
    I bet what will happen, is that HP will either send in an OTA update that updates us to OwebOS, or that there will be a Doctor for each device (Pre 2/3, Veer, TP). I doubt there will be support for legacy devices or Pixis. I'm hoping that OwebOS will bring us closer to Android app support!

-- Sent from my Pre 2 using Forums
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I'm so excited! I really hope this is gonna put that pizzazz back into my webOS experiences! I feel so lonely.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post

I wouldn't assume too much this far out. It does say they're looking into IF they'll be able to offer it for existing devices. There's also the question of what it'll be able to do when it's released, and if mking phone calls will actually be available. WebOS 3 was never available for phones, so it's possible that branching off from version 3 may strip out cellular modem support.
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    All I can think of is the webOS 2 - making it right fiasco for legacy users.
    You're either running 1.4.5 still or you doctored your device.

I have no hope anymore.