Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Observing an ebay auction. Advertised as a Pre 2, but then he specifies "Sprint" network, which is obviously Pre only. Can someone look at the pic and tell me whether it looks like a Pre or a Pre 2? Obviously I'd like to be sure before grabbing, but time is somewhat of the essence here, given that the low BIN price is likely to make someone buy without hesitation:

Palm Pre 2 - Good Condition Black Sprint Cell Phone (886111164202) | eBay

I'm tempted to click anyway and just return it if it's the wrong item.

EDITED: Thread repurposed. Updated title. See most recent post.
    Last edited by Aganar; 01/25/2012 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Repurposing topic instead of making a new one.
    Assuming that the picture is the phone you'd be getting, it is a Pre 2...but it wouldn't be on Sprint's network--not sure why the seller stated that.

Good luck!
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I'm assuming it's just bad info. I looked at Precentral's Pre 2 review and looked at the comparison photos between it and the original Pre. The original had red-colored symbols on the keyboard, so that's def a Pre 2. Went ahead and took the plunge. He does seem to have a return policy, after all; I can always state that it was an inaccurate description, since I'm on Sprint.

I'm about to grab a Pre off CL for cheap. Looks like I'm gonna FrankenPre this mofo.
    could be a Sprint frankenpre2!
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    Quote Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
    could be a Sprint frankenpre2!
    Be aware that if it is a sprint frankenpre2, you won't be able to activate it as-is. Youll need a regular pre to put the comm board back into, activate there, and then return to the pre2 body.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    That won't be a problem, since I'm buying a used regular Pre anyway; just have to hope the ESN on it is good.

By the way, just so I avert disaster, all Pre 2's are Franken-able, right? I.e. they all have the swapable comm board in them; there wasn't some AT&T version that was sim-card only or something, right?
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Yeah, but there are different meta-doctors for the Unlocked GSM and the Verizon ones, so just run the right one and you'll be good.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    yha a pre2. just use your specified doctor and you're ready to goo. all pre2's can be swapped.
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    Be aware that if it is a sprint frankenpre2, you won't be able to activate it as-is. Youll need a regular pre to put the comm board back into, activate there, and then return to the pre2 body.
    Curious, if it was properly doctored and clean sprint ESN comm board, why couldn't it be activated as is?
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Because the comm board ID number and the motherboard ID are different, as I understand it. (The ESN) Once you activate the comm board, you can move it into a Pre2 (which I have done twice). My Device Info shows me having a Verizon phone, but Sprint still thinks it's a Pre-.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Okay, so I picked up my Pre- from a guy off CL tonight. Will activate it through Sprint tomorrow.

While I'm waiting for my Pre 2 to come in so I can do the commboard swap, is there anything I should be doing with the Pre-? I have a few questions:

1. I'm going to transfer my contact numbers tomorrow from my current feature phone to the Pre- tomorrow. Is there any way to back these up so that they'll go over to my Pre 2? Is that one of the things the Palm profile will back up?

2. Should I hold off on downloading any apps for the Pre-? I'm reading some of these Frankenpre guides and it suggests many upon many wipes on any and all devices. Is it even worth it to start grabbing stuff for this phone, or is it all going to be lost once I switch to the Pre 2?

3. I already have a Touchpad; should I use my same Palm profile for that on the phone as well, or make a new one?

When the Pre 2 comes in I'll have more prep questions about preparing for the Franken process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    Because the comm board ID number and the motherboard ID are different, as I understand it. (The ESN) Once you activate the comm board, you can move it into a Pre2 (which I have done twice). My Device Info shows me having a Verizon phone, but Sprint still thinks it's a Pre-.
    I still don't understand why the I'D numbers matter, sprint doesn't require you to bring the phone in for activation does it? That's insane if they do on an active account.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aganar View Post
    Okay, so I picked up my Pre- from a guy off CL tonight. Will activate it through Sprint tomorrow.

While I'm waiting for my Pre 2 to come in so I can do the commboard swap, is there anything I should be doing with the Pre-? . . .
    Update the PRL.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I still don't understand why the I'D numbers matter, sprint doesn't require you to bring the phone in for activation does it? That's insane if they do on an active account.
    they can tell you to bring it in if they want. It doesn't matter if its an active account or not. Plus if whoever had an account before you on the previously owned phone has not paid out there account or owe money that phone was associated with you won't be activating it all. If it has a bad esn number, your SOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    The phone will report what it is to Sprint when you activate it. If it is a Pre2, it has Verizon (or ATT or whatever) coding, and it won't activate. That's why you have to activate it as a Pre-, and then switch the comm boards. When you Metadoctor, it changes the coding so that Sprint thinks it's still a Pre-.
    Quote Originally Posted by Balooz View Post
    they can tell you to bring it in if they want. It doesn't matter if its an active account or not. Plus if whoever had an account before you on the previously owned phone has not paid out there account or owe money that phone was associated with you won't be activating it all. If it has a bad esn number, your SOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    The phone will report what it is to Sprint when you activate it. If it is a Pre2, it has Verizon (or ATT or whatever) coding, and it won't activate. That's why you have to activate it as a Pre-, and then switch the comm boards. When you Metadoctor, it changes the coding so that Sprint thinks it's still a Pre-.

That's why I said in my first post, if it was properly doctored and a clean ESN. As far as bringing it in, that is garbage. Yet another reason I am happy I left Sprint... even VZW allows you to activate a phone by just logging into your profile online.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I think the keyword there is that they can require you to bring it in. When I went to a Sprint store yesterday, in fact, they flat-out told me that they couldn't do the activation swap in-store and that I would have to call Customer Service to have them do it remotely.

No one has told me yet, btw, whether the Palm Profile I already setup for my Touchpad will work for the Palm Pre as well. Should I use that or make a new one? The phone has already been wiped, I believe.
    I thought the reason it couldn't be activated was that Sprint's model code was specific and since they never had the Pre2 they don't handle a device claiming to be Pre2 for activation. If you activate the ESN on a Pre on your account then you skip this when you make the FrankenPre and have no issues because the ESN is now listed for your number and your account etc.

Just because it's already registered for someone else - doesn't mean that it will work for you unless you first move the comm board to a pre - and activate.

I think...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aganar View Post
    I think the keyword there is that they can require you to bring it in. When I went to a Sprint store yesterday, in fact, they flat-out told me that they couldn't do the activation swap in-store and that I would have to call Customer Service to have them do it remotely.

No one has told me yet, btw, whether the Palm Profile I already setup for my Touchpad will work for the Palm Pre as well. Should I use that or make a new one? The phone has already been wiped, I believe.
    You can use the same profile, that's one of the beauties of the Touchpad, any apps that are Touchpad specific won't download.
    Curious, if it was properly doctored and clean sprint ESN comm board, why couldn't it be activated as is?
    because the sprint modem can't be activated on 2.1 as there was never a sprint phone on anything higher than 1.4.5

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast