Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Well that's one down. Think I can get some help on the other questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Aganar View Post
    Okay, so I picked up my Pre- from a guy off CL tonight. Will activate it through Sprint tomorrow.

While I'm waiting for my Pre 2 to come in so I can do the commboard swap, is there anything I should be doing with the Pre-? I have a few questions:

1. I'm going to transfer my contact numbers tomorrow from my current feature phone to the Pre- tomorrow. Is there any way to back these up so that they'll go over to my Pre 2? Is that one of the things the Palm profile will back up?

2. Should I hold off on downloading any apps for the Pre-? I'm reading some of these Frankenpre guides and it suggests many upon many wipes on any and all devices. Is it even worth it to start grabbing stuff for this phone, or is it all going to be lost once I switch to the Pre 2?

3. I already have a Touchpad; should I use my same Palm profile for that on the phone as well, or make a new one?

When the Pre 2 comes in I'll have more prep questions about preparing for the Franken process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aganar View Post
    Well that's one down. Think I can get some help on the other questions?
    as far as moving your contacts-- if you put the contacts on your palm profile, those will stay attached to the profile and not get "wiped" should you need to do a secure erase or doctor.. They'll get loaded with your profile onto whatever palm device you use..
    so yes, you could transfer your contacts now and not have to wait..

I'd recommend moving your contacts to google or yahoo though, as that way they'll transfer to any smartphone should you ever switch away from webOS phones (God forbid!)
    as far as downloading apps goes, they are also connected to your palm profile, so they'll just get downloaded when you log in to that palm profile on your new device...

as far as using your TP profile, I don't really know the answer to that.. I think you can run the same profile on the two devices but your app purchases won't be synced-- although some devs give you the phone version of the TP app.. So if you have angry birds for the TP, it won't auto load on your phone... The exception to this is when you first set up your TP, it will sync compatible apps..

hope that makes sense.. Punching this in on my pre2!
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    because the sprint modem can't be activated on 2.1 as there was never a sprint phone on anything higher than 1.4.5

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Thank you sir, that was the answer I was looking for!!!
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    You can use the same profile, that's one of the beauties of the Touchpad, any apps that are Touchpad specific won't download.
    This is not entirely true, I have heard of people having problems activating 1.x devices with profiles being used on 3.x (and maybe even 2.x devices) because of some profile changes. Now 3.x and 2.x profiles seem to play nice with eachother no problem.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Yeah, I figured it might, but obviously I'm doing this out of the normal order. They probably figured they'd get a few people with Palm phones who would then buy a TP--they likely didn't imagine many people would get a TP and then buy an old, outdated Palm phone.

How do I backup my contacts to google? That would definitely be the safest option, especially if I switch to an Android down the line.

Thanks for everyone's help thus far. Taking every precaution I can think of, lest I botch the Franken operation.
    There was a front page article, and some posts in the forums. Export to CSV then import the CSV with google.
    ##66623# goto USB drive /temp folder in /media/internal/ upload file to google

OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Couldn't remember the code
    Its ##MONAD# :-P

Seriously that's the name of the app

Ahhh
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Blargh. Had a very unpleasant call with Sprint last night. When I grabbed the Palm Pre- and took it to a sprint store to transfer numbers from the feature phone they said I'd have to call to get it activated, but that, since it's a pretty old phone, I should be able to get away with activating it on nothing more than a $15 data add-on plan. Go home, call Sprint, and...nope! That clerk was full of **** ("We are very sorry you received incorrect information from one of our representatives."--not that we are going to do anything about it). Activating an antiquated 2009 smartphone will require nothing less than a full unlimited data plan, with the $10 premium data fee, to boot (when I asked how a 2009 smartphone manages to incur a "premium data" fee that was not introduced until the 4G Epic and Evo phones came around, or who exactly uses an Unlimited Data plan that does not get that fee if all smartphones require that fee--she couldn't give me an answer).

The short of it is that my monthly bill would immediately jump by $70. Not $15, as I had hoped, or even $40, as I thought, because due to the old family plan that is no longer offered and that we're grandfathered into, I'm only paying $10 a month on this feature phone line. But a full-blown $70. And that's simply unacceptable. Certainly not for a Pre-. I am going to wait for the Pre 2 to come in the mail and play around with it in wifi mode. But I doubt I would find it worth it for a Pre 2 either, given the current state of Android phones I could be getting if I'm going to start paying out the *** for an unlimited plan.

I'm also tempted to terminate my contract with Sprint right now and leave in protest, but then comes that lovely ETF.
    That's why we left Sprint, I wasn't paying an extra $10 per line just for the ability to stay on Sprint and have them tell me what phones I can use. In 6 months I have switched between 3 phones on 1 line and 2 on another (and could have done a 4th but wife was unimpressed with the iPhone to the point we didn't even put a SIM in it). Can't imagine ever going back to CDMA.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    So my Pre 2 arrived in the mail today. As I said, was gonna play with it for a few days and see if it's worth keeping and going through this headache.

Immediately after turning it on, I'm noticing something odd: it says "Sprint" in the topleft corner. I've got it running on developer mode so I can muck around with it in wifi without having to activate.

Is it possible I just received a Pre 2 that has already been Frankenpre'd?

EDIT: Just looked up the MEID on Sprint. It's listing it as "Palm 100 Smart Device". I'm guessing that's a Pre. Interesting. This would explain why the seller though it was a Sprint phone.

So why exactly do I have to transfer the COMM board back into a normal Pre if I decide to activate this? Sprint.com thinks the comm board is in an inactive but good ESN. Since I can add new devices entirely through the site, what's stopping me from just typing in the ESN and clicking "Activate"?

DOUBLE EDIT: The previous owner's old profile name and information was still on the phone. I saw the old sprint email and 0phone number and tried giving it a call. The previous owner answered! He told me he had already switched the comm board out and doesn't see any reason why I can't just activate it as is.

Strange world. And for the life of me I can't get the damn wifi on this going...
    Last edited by Aganar; 01/30/2012 at 06:41 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12