Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Okay, I know that there is a thread about "issues" after webOS 2.2.4 update. However, my issue is kinda unique.

I had the same as other some intermittent problems with the WiFi such as:
    1. Device not switching to WiFi when connected to 3G.
    2. WiFi drops out.
    3. Pre 2 refuses to connect to the network discovered except with a restart.

I kept my cool and played it nice until recently my WiFi on the Pre 2 cannot see any AP. Restarted the AP and the Pre several times, nothing changes. My Pre Plus works fine with the same network and can discover it. Just out of the blue it stopped seeing any network and any SSIDs around ... Taking in mind Pre Plus is working just fine.

I looked in the logs and everything else, no clue. I hate to doctor it as I still think there is hope. Any leads I can follow?

Regards,
    copasetic likes this.
  2.    #2  
    Updates:

Doctored the thing 3 times to 2.2.4 and twice to 2.1.0 ... I let it upgrade from 2.1.0 to 2.2.4. I opened its guts and checked everything seems fine. The damn WiFi refuses to give in and work. It just sits there saying "Searching for Networks" ...

I am losing faith and have no idea where to head from here!

Any idea where should I go from here?

I am trying to flush the thing to 2.0.0 now and see how that would go.

Regards,
    Could be the little gold antenna near the earpiece touching the logics board hot loose.

You can see it here at the upprr left corner:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwhitby...7624009973040/
    Last edited by GuyFromNam; 05/06/2012 at 03:31 PM.
  4.    #4  
    It could be ...

I have put the Pre 2 into the Freezer for a good 20 minutes or so and it is working like a charm for around 30 minutes till now. (lol, I was that desperate)

It could be that the metal was affected by the temperature and made a contact finally "shrank basically".

I will test it for a day and see. But, when I disassembled it, I checked that and it was touching just fine.

EDIT:
    Spoke too soon, it stopped working now! LOL ... I guess easy come, easy go, huh!

Regards,
    Well, how portable is your freezer?
    Last edited by GuyFromNam; 05/06/2012 at 03:31 PM.
    My 2.2.4 Pre2 started dropping wifi constantly after a massive heat up while I was running Skype, with it clocked to 1.2Ghz. I returned to stock kernel, and it's been fine ever since.

*lol at freezer*
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    It sound more of a hardware problem to me, than a software one.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    My 2.2.4 Pre2 started dropping wifi constantly after a massive heat up while I was running Skype, with it clocked to 1.2Ghz. I returned to stock kernel, and it's been fine ever since.

*lol at freezer*
    I am running it stock with no mods whatsoever. But, I do observe some heat coming from the communication board.

Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    It sound more of a hardware problem to me, than a software one.
    I am inclining toward such conclusion. However, it was fine before the update. After the update, as I stated in some other posts, I observed some issues with the WiFi and excessive heat from the communication board; I had to redoctor for the heat to be gone. Now, nothing works. I have talked with Palm last night and they escalated the matter and said they will come back to me. I don't think they will do much to me as I reside within the blacklisted countries, where the phone wasn't officially released.
    Last edited by CvvB; 01/25/2012 at 01:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Well I also live in a "black-listed" country, but I had e-mailed them when I bought the phone and they told me that I don't have any support here but if something happens I can send them the phone over to UK.
    I noticed connectivity issues with my Pre2 (webOS 2.1.0 build 124), starting 1/24/2012 where when Wifi was connected, 3G was not dropping out.
    Restarting the phone temporarily solved the issue, but now does not.
    Keeps giving 'IP config failed' message. If I assign an IP address, connection is made, but 3G icon remains. (as if both are connected, and battery life is confirming that suspicion)
    I difficulty believing that our hardware is failing in the same way at the same rate.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    Well I also live in a "black-listed" country, but I had e-mailed them when I bought the phone and they told me that I don't have any support here but if something happens I can send them the phone over to UK.
    Sending it to UK from where I live is damn expensive ... but much cheaper then buying a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by DoUpre2 View Post
    I noticed connectivity issues with my Pre2 (webOS 2.1.0 build 124), starting 1/24/2012 where when Wifi was connected, 3G was not dropping out.
    Restarting the phone temporarily solved the issue, but now does not.
    Keeps giving 'IP config failed' message. If I assign an IP address, connection is made, but 3G icon remains. (as if both are connected, and battery life is confirming that suspicion)
    I difficulty believing that our hardware is failing in the same way at the same rate.
    Does the communication board overheat? Try touching the back of the Pre2 at exactly the lower side.

Are you still on webOS 2.1.0?
    Quote Originally Posted by CvvB View Post
    Sending it to UK from where I live is damn expensive ... but much cheaper then buying a new one.

Does the communication board overheat? Try touching the back of the Pre2 at exactly the lower side.

I've been streaming podcasts on 3G all morning and no significant heat at all. It is 55 degrees Fahrenheit in my garage though. I cannot get an "available network connection" for apps on the occasion WiFi does connect and 3G icon drops.

Yes, I'm still running 2.1.0 I live in California, on Verizon, and my phone says that it is up to date when I check.
    Update: I have noticed some heat build-up in the area of the com board while streaming and surfing the web.

Regardless of where you live, if it's hardware error and covered by warranty, HP should (and I believe, will) have it picked up by DHL, and delivered back to you after repair.
    I live in The Netherlands and have devices picked up before, no problem.
    Last edited by GuyFromNam; 05/06/2012 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DoUpre2 View Post
    Update: I have noticed some heat build-up in the area of the com board while streaming and surfing the web.
    Heat build-up is normal and expected. Define overheating.
    Can you fry an egg on it? Is it burning a hole in your pants?
    Last edited by GuyFromNam; 05/06/2012 at 03:32 PM.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    If it was warming up, I can agree with you.

In my case it starts warming up, which is normal, until it reaches the level of "heating". If I took the battery cover off and touched the communication board it would "sting" from the heat emitting from it!
    Okay, I know that there is a thread about "issues" after webOS 2.2.4 update. However, my issue is kinda unique.

I had the same as other some intermittent problems with the WiFi such as:
    1. Device not switching to WiFi when connected to 3G.
    2. WiFi drops out.
    3. Pre 2 refuses to connect to the network discovered except with a restart.

I kept my cool and played it nice until recently my WiFi on the Pre 2 cannot see any AP. Restarted the AP and the Pre several times, nothing changes. My Pre Plus works fine with the same network and can discover it. Just out of the blue it stopped seeing any network and any SSIDs around ... Taking in mind Pre Plus is working just fine.

I looked in the logs and everything else, no clue. I hate to doctor it as I still think there is hope. Any leads I can follow?

Regards,
    YES, this happened to me too. In fact in my case I discovered that the WiFi actually IS on, but the range reduced to like 1m. ARGH.
    I have been having this issue for the past few days as well. It sees the wi-fi, it just won't connect. Its always switching to 3g. This is not good if you are on a limited data plan because it starts using 3g for data when I should be using wifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I would not classify mine as excessive. Very comparable to my Pre plus.

I flew to Seattle yesterday, WiFi worked fine in airport, on the plane, and has been flawless up here. I'm starting to think my home Belkin 54G is failing.
    Has anyone found a viable solution to this? Just rebuilt my Sprint Pre2, wifi worked fine for a few minutes, then totally dropped out.... Not sure why.
    Anyone have any luck?
    My other Sprint Pre2 sees the wifi network perfectly though.
    webOSroundup and Project Macaw contributor
    Remember, if I helped you, please click on the little or ♥ to the right
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast