Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By carldc
  1.    #1  
    So as the name says, is there any real reason to update to 2.2.4?

Preferably, I'm looking to be able to:

- Transfer files via bluetooth (ffs it's 2012 already)

- Updates to existing apps, Alarm clock (able to set custom time or in 1-min incriments instead of 5min) again...it's 2012 ffs, I feel like I'm using a Mac....

- Updates to Music Player, maybe able to create own playlist?

- Updates to SMS (auto-correct is at about the intelligence of a grade 10-ner)

I'm really only looking for basic updates, nothing major. From what I've read, most people are complaining about this "update" (downgrade). Is there anything beneficial in this update?

PS: WebOS QuickInstall app doesn't recognize my phone anymore. Did before I ran a Full Security Clean (which apparently still leaves my patches...lol). Reinstalled Novacom, still doesn't work, Any ideas?
    No, no, no, no.

Reasons not to update? None. It fixes bugs, may be marginally faster, and gets you on the same page as everybody else.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Reasons not to update could be the bugs in 2.2.4.
    Reasons to update are the Skype thing (if you are interested), the TP connectivity (which is really cool) and for me the hugely improved Google calendar sync.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutie View Post
    PS: WebOS QuickInstall app doesn't recognize my phone anymore. Did before I ran a Full Security Clean (which apparently still leaves my patches...lol). Reinstalled Novacom, still doesn't work, Any ideas?
    Is developer mode enabled?
    "Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter can be said to remedy anything."
    ~ Kurt Vonnegut
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    No, no, no, no.

Reasons not to update? None. It fixes bugs, may be marginally faster, and gets you on the same page as everybody else.
    Couldn't care less about being on the same page as everyone else. As for faster? This phone loses 12% battery power/1hr or so while on idle with screen shut off. Fixes that?

As I said, from what I've read, it has produced more bugs than it has fixed. If people are interested in giving some bullet-point info on their own cons vs pros, it would be beneficial. For now, seems like 2.1 is still the way to go. Also, any news on what Open Source has done for WebOS yet?
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    + Pros
    You get Skype
    You get better google sync
    You share calls and sms with your Touchpad
    Phone app loads faster (in my case at least)

- Cons
    Bugs (for me: screen turning on by itself, a wifi problem solved by GuyFromNam's solution, Contact pictures problem solved by deleting and re-adding the photos, facebook app problem where people appear as Anonymous user and a feel that the phone seems unresponsive sometimes)
    Phone app gets even more laggy despite loading fast and is a bit ugly (fonts are either too small or too big)

The cons are a bit subjective, as they are not experienced by all users.
    I just posted my observations.
    IMHO some problems were resolved (for me google calendar sync was a pain), but the general feel of the phone is somewhat worse.
    A bit slower and sometimes unresponsive. Not as good as before.
    I've been wondering this same thing and frankly, by reading through the forums, I've heard way more negatives about this particular update than positives. The google sync however has me intrigued. What does this *fix* exactly? My wifes Pre2 has terrible lag in the calendar app switching between views. Mine on the other hand is all google calendar and I've never had a problem. I would have loved to have the voice dialing fixed but sadly it seems to still be a problem according the forums.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    It fixed for me events not syncing. Many times if I edited multiple events in a short period of time, the events would not change in my pc. Moreover, syncing would stop and I would have to find which event caused this in order to remove. Sometimes it would take hours for events to start syncing again. Now everything syncs nicely between Pre2, TP and web browser.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    As I said, from what I've read, it has produced more bugs than it has fixed.
    I agree with Derek. The better question is "Why NOT update?"

Keep in mind that what you've read is often a conglomeration of "impressions". Just as every update generates vague impressions of "a bit faster" and "smoother", so they generate "bug" reports of all kinds. It's hardly clear that many of these reports -- good OR bad -- are TRULY linked to the actual update.

In addition, keep in mind that we are all updating from VASTLY different starting points: "virgin" phones, lightly modded phones, all the way to heavily modded phones and "frankenphones" (...and all this in addition to different MODELS). Also keep in mind that the modded phones are all modded DIFFERENTLY. So you're going to get a gazillion different reactions to updating (again, many of which are either unsubstantiated "impressions" or are the result of things other than the update).

My own experience: I have a Pre 3 with only a couple of patches ("Add Scrollbars to the Browser" and "Muffle System Logging"). I've seen no major difference one way or the other. Maybe it's a bit faster, maybe it's a bit slower. Maybe it crashes more often, maybe it doesn't. From my perspective, it's fast ENOUGH (and FAR faster than the original Pre or Pixi), and it RARELY crashes. It does have many of the new features described on here (Skype, etc.), but my phone is GENERALLY the same as it was before the update (after all, it's only a 0.0.x update).

So -- why NOT update? There have been updates in the past, and there will be updates in the future. It's easy to do (basically just let it happen!) and doesn't take long (the same canNOT be said about other OSs we all know about! ). Seems to me that it's more effort to agonize over updating and to taking steps to prevent it. Yes, individual updates may cause isolated problems, but in the long run, the purpose of updates (all devices, all OSs) is to make things better, isn't it?

These are all just the relatively unsophisitcated musings of a webOS fan! Please accept them as that and no more.
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    No reason for me to update AT ALL. The phone works fine with 2.1 and I will not risk messing it up with another train wreck of an "update" from HP. Couldnt care less about skype or being on the same page as everyone else. I need the phone to work.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    How do you avoid the update? My phone keeps bothering me about it on the bottom and I want to remove it. I really don't want the bugs...I mean update.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM2010 View Post
    No reason for me to update AT ALL. The phone works fine with 2.1 and I will not risk messing it up with another train wreck of an "update" from HP. Couldnt care less about skype or being on the same page as everyone else. I need the phone to work.
    i'm sure the programmers who spent time on optimizing routines at system level and fixing many problems throughout the operating system that nobody without knowledge of the source could would probably ever know about, let alone understand, couldn't care less what you think about their "train wreck updates." actually, i think they will continue fixing things and improving on the operating system that THEY brought you... o_O

oh, the irony.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

...This phone loses 12% battery power/1hr or so while on idle with screen shut off.
    If you're loosing that much battery i think you should look at some kernel tweaks. I'd suggest changing your charger polling rate in Govnah to start, use 60s for best battery. You can also tweak your voltages for marginal gain, or use F105A with SSv3 to scale voltages automatically. Or maybe your battery is just toasted. Try Dr. Battery, and if it is below 80% health splurge the $5 on a replacement.

As to answering your question i would say the update is not for you if you unless you need skype, touchpad sms sharing, or generally enjoy mucking around with your phone and webos.

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    i'm sure the programmers who spent time on optimizing routines at system level and fixing many problems throughout the operating system that nobody without knowledge of the source could would probably ever know about, let alone understand, couldn't care less what you think about their "train wreck updates." actually, i think they will continue fixing things and improving on the operating system that THEY brought you... o_O

oh, the irony.
    No need to be rude...