Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By ncinerate
  1.    #1  
    So, fiddling with the Pre2 just for giggles - was trying to help someone get HULU on their pre3. I thought, what the hell, I wonder if I can make it work appreciably well on my pre2.

A little fiddling around later, and I'm watching the Alcatraz pilot on my pre2. With performance governor and 1.2ghz it seems to be watchable over 3G (SLIGHTLY choppy framerate, but perfect sound and pretty damn good all things considered).

If you're feeling adventurous and want to try this, I could probably knock together some instructions or a basic patch - does anyone actually care?

Basic instructions:

Use webOSquickinstall to receive a file from your pre2:
    /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.so

Copy the file to make a backup (libWebKitLuna.OLD).

Use a hex editor like HxD to "find" this string:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; webOS/%s; U; %s) AppleWebKit/534.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) %s/221.56 Safari/534.6 %s/%s

Change it to this:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.11; U; en) AppleWebKit/534.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) xp/234.76 Safari/535.2 01/07

Note these strings are exactly the same length, this is necessary for this hex edit to work.

Use webOSquickinstall to send this newly created libWebKitLuna file to:
    /usr/lib

Now terminal into your touchpad (using webOS quick install or xserver/xterm) and type this:
    sed -i 's/WEB 10/LNX 10/' /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so

And finally:
    reboot

Once everything is back up and running, go to IMDB, click on videos, and enjoy. If you're following this on the PRE 3 you might even be able to just go to hulu itself thanks to your more powerful phone.

To reverse the process, simply rename your libWebKitLuna.OLD back to libWebKitLuna.so, remove the libWebKitLuna.so file on the pre2 (rm /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.so) and replace it with this original file (send the old libWebKitLuna.so file to /usr/lib with webosquickinstall), then run this command:

sed -i 's/LNX 10/WEB 10/' /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so

I know it's a little complex but it's more of a proof of concept right now. It works, but you sorta have to use 1.2ghz in performance mode to get reasonable watch-ability. Be careful following these instructions - if you don't know what you're doing and feel over-your-head I'm not responsible if you manage to obliterate your phone in the process. **** luck!
    Last edited by ncinerate; 01/20/2012 at 10:35 PM.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    So, fiddling with the Pre2 just for giggles - was trying to help someone get HULU on their pre3. I thought, what the hell, I wonder if I can make it work appreciably well on my pre2.

A little fiddling around later, and I'm watching the Alcatraz pilot on my pre2. With performance governor and 1.2ghz it seems to be watchable over 3G (SLIGHTLY choppy framerate, but perfect sound and pretty damn good all things considered).

If you're feeling adventurous and want to try this, I could probably knock together some instructions or a basic patch - does anyone actually care?

Basic instructions:

Use webOSquickinstall to receive a file from your pre2:
    /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.so

Copy the file to make a backup (libWebKitLuna.OLD).

Use a hex editor like HxD to "find" this string:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; webOS/%s; U; %s) AppleWebKit/534.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) %s/221.56 Safari/534.6 %s/%s

Change it to this:

'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.11; U; en) AppleWebKit/534.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) xp/234.76 Safari/535.2 01/07'

Use webOSquickinstall to send this newly created libWebKitLuna file to:
    /usr/lib

Now terminal into your touchpad (using webOS quick install or xserver/xterm) and type this:
    sed -i 's/WEB 10/LNX 10/' /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so

And finally:
    reboot

Once everything is back up and running, go to IMDB, click on videos, and enjoy.

To reverse the process, simply rename your libWebKitLuna.OLD back to libWebKitLuna.so, remove the libWebKitLuna.so file on the touchpad and replace it with this original file, then run this command:

sed -i 's/LNX 10/WEB 10/' /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so

I know it's a little complex but it's more of a proof of concept right now. It works, but you sorta have to use 1.2ghz in performance mode to get reasonable watch-ability. Be careful following these instructions - if you don't know what you're doing and feel over-your-head I'm not responsible if you manage to obliterate your phone in the process. **** luck!
    Thanks! I was reading your Pre 3 ramblings in the new hulu fix thread and will let you know what I come up with in a day or 2 after I have a chance to do some tinkering. Just got my mugen beefed up battery & doing the initial charge so laying low for 12 hrs. I plan on attempting to hulu enable a Pre 3 for the sole purpose of Slingbox via Facebook (I know, try saying it 3 times fast, lol!)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    Thanks! I was reading your Pre 3 ramblings in the new hulu fix thread and will let you know what I come up with in a day or 2 after I have a chance to do some tinkering. Just got my mugen beefed up battery & doing the initial charge so laying low for 12 hrs. I plan on attempting to hulu enable a Pre 3 for the sole purpose of Slingbox via Facebook (I know, try saying it 3 times fast, lol!)
    This should work on the Pre 3 with -no- changes. Your user agent is functionally identical to the pre2 as far as I can tell. Give it a shot!
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    This should work on the Pre 3 with -no- changes. Your user agent is functionally identical to the pre2 as far as I can tell. Give it a shot!
    I should have time to try this Monday. Thanks!

BTW... Hulu & app catalog working simultaneously after I successfully booted ICS on my TP. Have no idea how, but nice to not have to toggle the hulu patch to use the catalog. Can't wait to try this on my Pre 3 as proof of concept and giggles. Might be nice to catch some slingbox via the facebook app sometimes too.
    Last edited by matteebee13; 01/21/2012 at 03:11 PM.
    Could this be made into a Pre2/3 patch somehow?

Edit:
    (Never mind... just read your post here.)
    Last edited by p41m3r; 01/21/2012 at 02:37 AM.
    This seems neat! I'll give it a try on my Pre 2 later this week.
    This works on my Pre 3! Hulu is watchable but slingplayer via facebook is too choppy (even overclocked @ 1.9 GHz!) and all websites now load as desktop version... But it works. Like ncinerate said, more as proof of concept & giggles. Thanks!
  8.    #8  
    This works on my Pre 3! Hulu is watchable but slingplayer via facebook is too choppy (even overclocked @ 1.9 GHz!) and all websites now load as desktop version... But it works. Like ncinerate said, more as proof of concept & giggles. Thanks!
    If you're trying to use hulu, try using it through the IMDB site rather than hulu itself - it runs much quicker there on my pre2 so I imagine a pre3 it should be watchable.

Anyway, thanks for reporting in I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to test it. Too bad it doesn't work for slingplayer - I was hopeful and actually surprised that it's too choppy. Interesting......

Did some cleanup... Cleared history, cookies & cache, SLINGPLAYER via FACEBOOK APP working FLAWLESSLY (0 skips, freezes or lag; matching audio) Finally LIVE TV on a PRE 3!!!! Lagfree 1.4 GHz undervolted (to save battery) A1-42 kernel. I've been trying to figure this out for 2+ YEARS!!! (Since 6/6/09) Viva la webOS!
  10.    #10  
    Did some cleanup... Cleared history, cookies & cache, SLINGPLAYER via FACEBOOK APP working FLAWLESSLY (0 skips, freezes or lag; matching audio) Finally LIVE TV on a PRE 3!!!! Lagfree 1.4 GHz undervolted (to save battery) A1-42 kernel. I've been trying to figure this out for 2+ YEARS!!! (Since 6/6/09) Viva la webOS!
    Wow, that is amazing!

I don't have a pre3 myself (jealousy), but since you've proven my instructions work, I will go ahead and knock together a patch to activate and deactivate this. I'm sure you're not the only one who wants this or would find it useful.

For simplicity I may need a file from you - I will PM you when I have some time and we'll work it out. Thanks for testing it out, hope it makes you happy :-).

Wow, that is amazing!

I don't have a pre3 myself (jealousy), but since you've proven my instructions work, I will go ahead and knock together a patch to activate and deactivate this. I'm sure you're not the only one who wants this or would find it useful.

For simplicity I may need a file from you - I will PM you when I have some time and we'll work it out. Thanks for testing it out, hope it makes you happy :-).
    Thanks, that would be great for other folks. BTW, app cat STILL WORKING!!! Words with Friends works via the Facebook app as well. This is a big win. I wonder what else was "unlocked" with this... :/
    Last edited by matteebee13; 01/24/2012 at 01:30 AM.
    Wow, that is amazing!

that would be awesome.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Just for me? aww u didnt have too!

(patch soon please )
    Followed this thread from the Hulu for TouchPad thread. Worked as directed, though when I sent the file back to the Pre3, I had to send it to /usr/lib/. It didn't show up unless I used the end 'slash'.

I can verify the app catalog still seems to work too...downloaded an app just to verify.

Finally, Hulu works, though I couldn't get it to 'Full Screen' (or even zoom). Still, better than it was, certainly!

FC
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by FastCargo View Post
    Followed this thread from the Hulu for TouchPad thread. Worked as directed, though when I sent the file back to the Pre3, I had to send it to /usr/lib/. It didn't show up unless I used the end 'slash'.

I can verify the app catalog still seems to work too...downloaded an app just to verify.

Finally, Hulu works, though I couldn't get it to 'Full Screen' (or even zoom). Still, better than it was, certainly!

FC
    I actually just posted a new patch for the pre3 that should do all this for you .

Since you've already "installed it" you could still download the new patch and put it in place. Uninstalling/installing it will still work, and keep you from having to mess with hex editing in the future.

16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    Just for me? aww u didnt have too!

(patch soon please )
    Ok, here you go! Here is the pre2 hulu patch (don't use this on the pre3 - there is a pre3 patch over in the pre3 forum):

https://www.box.com/s/4infhncjp2jhvljpd173

The pre2 Hulu patch. Remember - you'll probably want to watch hulu through the IMDB website (it's lighter-weight than the hulu site). The pre2 isn't powerful enough for perfect playback, so you may experience some choppiness - overclocking can mitigate this. This patch is specific to the pre2, it MAY work on the pre3, but I don't recommend it (I'll post a pre3 specific patch over at the pre3 forum).

Basic instructions:

To install, you need to first put your pre2 into usb storage mode. surf into the drive and make a new directory named:

hulu

Now into that directory, you need to unzip the file attached to this post (it has 3 files inside, unzip them into the /media/internal/hulu directory).

Now terminal into your pre2 either through webOS quick install or xterm.

Finally, type:

/media/internal/hulu/hulu install

to uninstall, do the same thing, and type

/media/internal/hulu/hulu uninstall

Easy as pie. The phone will reboot and you'll have hulu up and running (and any other websites that work through similar "tricks").

17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by FastCargo View Post

FC
    The trick to zooming for me is to physically zoom into the video (make it fill the screen with pinch-zoom) then doubletap on the video itself, which immediately makes it the focus of the screen (it locks onto the video).

Perfect fullscreen .

Just went to the webOSDoctor before doing this and ended up having to doctor again. ): I used SDL Terminal and it went to reboot and it just hanged at the HP logo. Tried rebooting several times.

EDIT: So before I actually went ahead and doctored my phone again I remembered that I was following instructions in the first post (me never using WOSQI to send/receive files from my phone) and only received the libWebKitLuna.so file and never, I suppose, placed it back onto my phone. Thankfully I left developer mode on and WOSQI could still read my Palm Pre 2 while connected to my PC. So I just placed the .so file back into /usr/lib/ and restarted and hurray it worked!

Also tried watching an episode of The Simpsons on hulu and IMDb but did go passed loading the advertisements. Then tried a random TV show on IMDb same result. I was doing this all over wifi.
    Last edited by pixelplay; 02/13/2012 at 08:00 AM.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelplay View Post
    Just went to the webOSDoctor before doing this and ended up having to doctor again. ): I used SDL Terminal and it went to reboot and it just hanged at the HP logo. Tried rebooting several times.

EDIT: So before I actually went ahead and doctored my phone again I remembered that I was following instructions in the first post (me never using WOSQI to send/receive files from my phone) and only received the libWebKitLuna.so file and never, I suppose, placed it back onto my phone. Thankfully I left developer mode on and WOSQI could still read my Palm Pre 2 while connected to my PC. So I just placed the .so file back into /usr/lib/ and restarted and hurray it worked!

Also tried watching an episode of The Simpsons on hulu and IMDb but did go passed loading the advertisements. Then tried a random TV show on IMDb same result. I was doing this all over wifi.
    I'm not having any of these issues, using the patch above.

Try checking your flash identifier string (make sure it's LNX and not WEB) and make sure your user agent is set as windows NT.

Here's a couple links that will let you check those things.

Check the status of Flash Player version
    Whats My User Agent?

If those are set up right, try watching a video at hulu itself. See if it works.