Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Hi,

I have an AT&T Pre+ and it's getting a little beat up and some oreo happening. I was thinking about buying a used Pre2 from eBay and moving everything to that. I'd prefer a Pre3 but unfortunately they're too costly for me.

There are some good threads here about how to migrate from OS1 to OS2, but they seem to be for a new phone. What, if anything, different would I have to do when taking over someone else's used phone? Can I change what Palm back-up account the phone wants? Etc..
    thanks,
    Toby.
    There's very little that would differ. If, when you get the phone, it is still active on the other person's webOS profile account (ie- the phone boots up to the regular home screen and you can see their apps and such), then go into Device Info --> Reset Options and do a Full Erase. The Full Erase will wipe the phone clean and when it reboots, it will start at the carrier activation screen, just like a new phone would. From there, you activate the phone and put in your own Palm/webOS profile account.
    Last edited by sq5; 01/13/2012 at 06:33 PM.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    It worked a treat, thanks! My new-to-me Pre 2 arrived last night and the previous owner must have done a complete wipe as the phone went right to the set-up.

I put my Pre+ in airplane mode before activating the new one, so the Pre+ is still semi-alive.

Now I have to get back into the learning about webOS again...
    thanks,
    Toby.
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd15 View Post
    It worked a treat, thanks! My new-to-me Pre 2 arrived last night and the previous owner must have done a complete wipe as the phone went right to the set-up.

I put my Pre+ in airplane mode before activating the new one, so the Pre+ is still semi-alive.

Now I have to get back into the learning about webOS again...
    Well done! All the better that the Pre2 was wiped already. Good thinking with the Pre+ as well.

Btw, I believe that you can still turn wifi back on by itself without disabling the airplane mode, and you should be able to use the Pre+ online without it deactivating or anything. Before you try though, make sure developer mode is enabled on it. That way if it ever does deactivate for any reason, you can just run a meta-doctor on it and create a fresh profile to use it with anyway.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    Btw, I believe that you can still turn wifi back on by itself without disabling the airplane mode, and you should be able to use the Pre+ online without it deactivating or anything.
    Turns out, no. That was also my understanding; I thought I'd read it somewhere here also. So yesterday I turned on the WiFi (while leaving it in Airplane mode), and it immediately rebooted into some kind of refreshed mode. It wants a SIM card, but I haven't dared to put mine into it in case I end up wiping the new Pre2. (Of course, I should be able to protect the new one by taking it offline just in case, but, you know....)

Before you try though, make sure developer mode is enabled on it.
    Yeah, maybe that's what I needed to do first. Unless I find something else where I'm gonna assume my Pre+ might now be bricked. Oh well, no biggie.
    thanks,
    Toby.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    You can have only one phone per profile. Attempting to log into a profile with another phone will automatically erase the original phone. I believe there is a patch that will supress the automatic wipe on the original phone, but I also believe that your downloaded programs will be erased even so.

I have two pre phones on two separate HP profiles. I can move my sim card between the two phones with no problem.

Although you can have only one Pre phone per profile, you can have multiple Touchpads attached to that profile.
    What it looks like may have happened is along the lines of what aa6vh said. Not a big deal though. When you log into your Pre2 and log back into your webOS profile, everything should be restored to that phone from the cloud.

If your old Pre+ is reset back to the point where it is asking for a webOS profile login, then try creating a new one on that phone with a different email address, and see if you're good to go. If not, you can still do the following:

-Run the 2.1 metadoctor for the pre+ on the old phone
    -when it first boots to the activation screen, go to the dialer and enter ##DEVMODE#
    -turn OFF the dev mode slider and reboot
    -when the phone goes to the activation screen again, go to the dialer a second time and repeat entering ##DEVMODE#
    -turn the dev mode slider back ON
    -now, when the phone is at the main screen, having skipped the activation app, put the phone in airplane mode, and then re-enable wifi by itself like we talked about before.
    -use WebOSQuickInstall to install Preware, and then use Preware to install Impostah
    -Now open Impostah, choose "Palm profile" in Impostah, then tap "Reset Palm profile". The phone will now restart.
    -After the booting, the phone will bring you to registration screen again but now you will see the WiFi icon is on so you are still connected to WiFi and will be able to create a new webOS account for your old phone and activate it the standard way.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    What it looks like may have happened is along the lines of what aa6vh said. Not a big deal though. When you log into your Pre2 and log back into your webOS profile, everything should be restored to that phone from the cloud.

If your old Pre+ is reset back to the point where it is asking for a webOS profile login, then try creating a new one on that phone with a different email address, and see if you're good to go. If not, you can still do the following:

-Run the 2.1 metadoctor for the pre+ on the old phone
    -when it first boots to the activation screen, go to the dialer and enter ##DEVMODE#
    -turn OFF the dev mode slider and reboot
    -when the phone goes to the activation screen again, go to the dialer a second time and repeat entering ##DEVMODE#
    -turn the dev mode slider back ON
    -now, when the phone is at the main screen, having skipped the activation app, put the phone in airplane mode, and then re-enable wifi by itself like we talked about before.
    -use WebOSQuickInstall to install Preware, and then use Preware to install Impostah
    -Now open Impostah, choose "Palm profile" in Impostah, then tap "Reset Palm profile". The phone will now restart.
    -After the booting, the phone will bring you to registration screen again but now you will see the WiFi icon is on so you are still connected to WiFi and will be able to create a new webOS account for your old phone and activate it the standard way.
    Hi sq5,

Thanks for the very detailed reply. A big thing for me is being able to access whatever data was (/ is still?) on the old Pre+. I forgot to export my Fuel dbase, so I might have lost that, which would be a PITA.

If I create a new profile on it, won't that wipe it back to a clean phone?

Also, is there a way to bring my SMS message history across to the new Pre2?
    thanks,
    Toby.
    Hi sq5,

Thanks for the very detailed reply. A big thing for me is being able to access whatever data was (/ is still?) on the old Pre+. I forgot to export my Fuel dbase, so I might have lost that, which would be a PITA.
    When your phone did that involuntary profile reset, it most likely wiped out all your data as part of it. Pictures, videos, and other files that get stored on the USB drive might still be there.

The good news is that your contacts, memos, calendar/email settings, and apps, should all restore automatically from the cloud when you log into your existing profile on the new phone.

The bad news is that certain things like SMS messages and call history were not backed up as part of webOS 1.4.5, which your Pre+ was probably running. (webOS 2.1 and higher DOES back up those things to the cloud now too) See below for more on this.

Data produced by apps is normally not backed up automatically. There is an app in Preware called Save/Restore however that backs up that kind of data to the USB drive. If by chance you have ever run this app, then there might be a backup of your Fuel dbase on the USB drive if that didn't get wiped.

Yes, and ultimately you don't have a choice about it since you can only run your profile on one phone at a time, and obviously you want to use your existing profile on the new phone.

Though this was likely wiped out with most other things like I mentioned, if it is still there, it would be in the PalmDatabase.db3 file, which is the master database that contains most of your profile info. You would copy that file from the old phone to the new one to restore your SMS messages. However, you would also need to be a little familiar with using the Linux command line to do it. See: PalmDatabase.db3 File - WebOS Internals for more info about that database file. If you don't already know how, it's probably not worth messing with. You won't have to worry about it going forward on the new phone at least.
    Last edited by sq5; 01/27/2012 at 12:27 PM.
    Hi sq5,

Hi!

I did the swap from a Pre+ to the Pre 2 as well, unfortunately with mine the touchscreen was broken. So no way, to do one last backup etc.
    With Fuel you're in luck: All Fuel App-Data is saved on your USB Drive.
    The Developer of the app has a superb list of instructions on his page. USB Backup - webOS rbtwhiz

Since Webos 2.1 backs up you messages, you should be able to keep them on your Pre 2. Otherwise use Save/Restore to get a html file with them (IF you had 2.1 on your Pre+).

Felix
    Last edited by P356A; 01/28/2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by P356A View Post
    All Fuel App-Data is saved on your USB Drive.
    The Developer of the app has a superb list of instructions on his page. USB Backup - webOS rbtwhiz
    Hey, good info, thanks. Luckily I had copied the USB part of my Pre+ before I upgraded. I figured I might have screwed something up... Anyway, I turn on hidden folders and I do not see the .app-storage folder in there. (I do see it in my new Pre2, so I know hidden folders are visible). Any idea why this might be?
    thanks,
    Toby.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    When your phone did that involuntary profile reset, it most likely wiped out all your data as part of it. Pictures, videos, and other files that get stored on the USB drive might still be there.
    Yeah, you're probably right. It had the same look to it that my new Pre2 had when I started it, and that arrived wiped / reset. I think it's a goner.

The good news is that your contacts, memos, calendar/email settings, and apps, should all restore automatically from the cloud when you log into your existing profile on the new phone.
    They synched down just fine when I logged the Pre2 into my Palm profile.

The bad news is that certain things like SMS messages and call history were not backed up as part of webOS 1.4.5, which your Pre+ was probably running. (webOS 2.1 and higher DOES back up those things to the cloud now too) See below for more on this.
    Yeah, it was on 1.4.5. Oh well, not the end of the world. Just a 'nice to have'.

Data produced by apps is normally not backed up automatically. There is an app in Preware called Save/Restore however that backs up that kind of data to the USB drive. If by chance you have ever run this app, then there might be a backup of your Fuel dbase on the USB drive if that didn't get wiped.
    Nope, never had that app. I did copy out the USB portion before I upgraded though, so I have that. The post below yours points me to where to find it, but it doesn't appear to be visible in there, I'm not sure why.

Yes, and ultimately you don't have a choice about it since you can only run your profile on one phone at a time, and obviously you want to use your existing profile on the new phone.
    And of course creating a new profile to log into the old Pre+ with will cause it to wipe, right, so I'll be nowhere with that path either.

Though this was likely wiped out with most other things like I mentioned, if it is still there, it would be in the PalmDatabase.db3 file, which is the master database that contains most of your profile info. You would copy that file from the old phone to the new one to restore your SMS messages. However, you would also need to be a little familiar with using the Linux command line to do it.... If you don't already know how, it's probably not worth messing with. You won't have to worry about it going forward on the new phone at least.
    You're right, I'll just let that part go. Too hard, and too little to gain for it.
    thanks,
    Toby.