1.    #1  
    can I please know the difference and which one is better? I don't know which one to get. Either the verizon pre 2 or the unlocked version. Please help
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rigo0523 View Post
    can I please know the difference and which one is better? I don't know which one to get. Either the verizon pre 2 or the unlocked version. Please help
    I am not speaking from experience. I will be trying this next week. But, I asked a similar question in the past on the forum http://forums.webosnation.com/palm-p...dos-donts.html . Post # 14 is the reply I got. To me, it seems a VZW cellphone will be easier to convert for Sprint.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by SB Jon View Post
    I am not speaking from experience. I will be trying this next week. But, I asked a similar question in the past on the forum [url] . Post # 14 is the reply I got. To me, it seems a VZW cellphone will be easier to convert for Sprint.
    so you recommend the verizon pre 2 for sure?
    I used a unlocked gsm pre 2 and it was not hard at all. The verizon one is a little easier you just have to switch out the radio.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rigo0523 View Post
    so you recommend the verizon pre 2 for sure?
    I have not done this yet. I was only reporting what people said. I have a VZW Pre 2 on the way and will report back some time next week.
    Grab whichever one is cheaper. The process can be done just as easily with either kind without any problems.

Side note: Some folks prefer the Version because they get to have the shiny new antenna from it (since it's the same as a Sprint antenna) rather than reusing their old Sprint antenna, but realistically it makes little difference. Personally, I got a Verizon one only because they happened to be cheaper that day, but still just kept my Sprint antenna attached anyway. One less thing meddle with.
    Either one will work, the WR antenna wires are a little longer and can be used with the Sprint comm card but might stick up into the battery compartment (no big deal) if you get a verizon pre 2 it will be identical to the sprint comm card you'll be installing in it.

On a plus note for the unlocked GSM, then you also have an unlocked GSM you can put in your pre+/- and just need a sim card and doctor to have a GSM phone on hand when you go abroad.

Just my thoughts,

Hans
    On the AT&T pre 2 you need to swap out the small center piece from the old phone (the antenna is housed in there). Look at your pre, you'll see a small piece of plastic wedged between the two halves of the phone (the volume rocker is on this piece). That piece gets carried over to the pre2 from the pre- on the AT&T pre, whereas the verizon pre doesn't require this step and gets to retain it's pre2 center piece.

Does it matter? Not really. Your center piece of plastic might have a scuff or two on it, but it's basically invisible sandwiched in there. So buy whichever phone is cheaper. There is no logical reason not to. I was watching TV and working nice and slowly and I finished my at&t pre2 swap before I could finish an episode of the daily show ;p.

DO look up the "video" of the guy doing a franken-pre conversion live from start to finish. That was brilliantly useful, I had that loaded up on my touchpad and just basically followed along as he worked. Without it, the whole process would have been considerably more confusing. Only other annoying thing I feel I should mention is the bezel around the keyboard. Getting it installed properly is a pain in the rear - there are two little pieces of plastic at the top edge of each side of the keyboard bezel that need to slot in to properly fit flush, and if you try to force it, you'll end up bending off those tabs and screwing things up. Sounds confusing, but trust me, when you're at that step of the process you'll know EXACTLY what I mean. Take your time, be careful, and enjoy yourself . When you're done, bolt the old parts back together in the pre- as well - with a little meta doctor work you'll end up with a nice sprint PRE2 -and- a GSM pre- that can be used as a phone or as a wifi-only media player (basically, an 8gb ipod touch).
    Last edited by ncinerate; 01/13/2012 at 05:05 PM.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
  9.    #9  
    wow thank you so much, you helped me out so much. I just ordered a $80 pre 2 for verizon. I'm nervous about breaking something when I switch boards. You scared me
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I Franked a VZW phone today. It was pretty easy. I overtorqued some of the screws and a couple of them broke. But the actual HW swap out was easy. I think the real advantage of using a VZW phone is that the software effort is much easier. Just run the standard VZW 2.1 doctor. No creating a metadoctor and messing with Linux. So, I would suggest using a VZW phone unless the price difference is large.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB Jon View Post
    Just run the standard VZW 2.1 doctor. No creating a metadoctor and messing with Linux.
    Eh, I really wouldn't recommend cutting corners and doing that. While it CAN been done, it may not work entirely right, and likely lead to problems later. There is a reason that the metadoctor exists and is supported for this setup.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    Eh, I really wouldn't recommend cutting corners and doing that. While it CAN been done, it may not work entirely right, and likely lead to problems later. There is a reason that the metadoctor exists and is supported for this setup.
    If you could elaborate on this, that would be great. Is the risk an OTA update being pushed on the phone?

Thanks.