Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1.    #1  
    Hey, I have a bit of a concern. Roughly since I updated my Unlocked US Pre 2 from 2.1 to 2.2.4, I've started having issues, where the Pre 2 randomly goes "phone offline", loses all signal, then comes back again. The signal is strong and I've used the Pre 2 for months and months without any issues. (I won't necessarily tie it to doing the update, but it might be the cause).

    This is incredibly annoying during SMS and Calls. For SMS, sometimes I send a text, and it gets an error because the phone temporarily goes offline around the time when I tried to send it. It receives texts delayed because of this too. For phone calls it is worse. I have stopped calling on it because it will randomly cut out and go offline, then back on again in moments.

    Like I said, I wouldn't expect it to be a signal issue as it hasn't happened before. Could it be the network is doing some changes? Or should I doctor the phone?

    I'd rather not doctor if I didn't need to, I tend to have to relink a lot of contact profiles when I do :P

    I'd also rather not have any terrible news that the phone is damaged or broken. I live in Australia and this is a nightmare to fix ;( Maybe dropped lightly, once since I got it, so nothing major.

    Thanks for your input guys!
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
  2. Loiter's Avatar
    Posts
    682 Posts
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    #2  
    Unable to help you, I don't have problems like that. I've only seen some wi-fi problems with the 2.2.4.
  3. #3  
    Facing the same problem here(Unlocked Pre 2 Euro in India). I thought it was the operator's network issue and didn't bother much since I am not really using it for calls and messages. But yes it becomes irritating when I am using the net because all of a sudden the handset loses all network and comes back only after a good few seconds.
    I'll try another operators sim and see if it what I think it is. Will update this as soon as I get it tested. Are there others who are facing this issue?
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    Hey, I have a bit of a concern. Roughly since I updated my Unlocked US Pre 2 from 2.1 to 2.2.4, I've started having issues, where the Pre 2 randomly goes "phone offline", loses all signal, then comes back again. The signal is strong and I've used the Pre 2 for months and months without any issues. (I won't necessarily tie it to doing the update, but it might be the cause).

    This is incredibly annoying during SMS and Calls. For SMS, sometimes I send a text, and it gets an error because the phone temporarily goes offline around the time when I tried to send it. It receives texts delayed because of this too. For phone calls it is worse. I have stopped calling on it because it will randomly cut out and go offline, then back on again in moments.

    Like I said, I wouldn't expect it to be a signal issue as it hasn't happened before. Could it be the network is doing some changes? Or should I doctor the phone?

    I'd rather not doctor if I didn't need to, I tend to have to relink a lot of contact profiles when I do :P

    I'd also rather not have any terrible news that the phone is damaged or broken. I live in Australia and this is a nightmare to fix ;( Maybe dropped lightly, once since I got it, so nothing major.

    Thanks for your input guys!
    I had the same issue. It ended up being the ribbon connector to the antannae. Don't doctor it, the signal loss will result in you not being able to log in to your palm profile. I doctored, had to skip activation, and configure my wifi, just so I could log in to my palm profile. Here's what i did to fix the issue.

    You probably still have the remnants of your pre- if you franken pre'd your pre 2. if not, you can buy any replacement, any make of pre to get the connector out of. i bought one on ebay, it was only $20.

    Tools: T5 screwdriver, very small phillips.

    Process:
    1. Take off the back cover here's instructions for that. (stop at step 10, you arn't trying to sprintify it.) Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals

    2. After that, you'll need to use the phillips to get the screws out of the metal back. (the mirror looking one.) take those out, and the whole slider part is removed.you need to replace the orangeish yellow ribbon connector that is fastened to the comm board. pop out the comm board, remove the old ribbon cable, and put the new one in. reassemble the phone, and it all should work again, no need to doctor. Let me know if you have issues!
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    Hey, I have a bit of a concern. Roughly since I updated my Unlocked US Pre 2 from 2.1 to 2.2.4, I've started having issues, where the Pre 2 randomly goes "phone offline", loses all signal, then comes back again. The signal is strong and I've used the Pre 2 for months and months without any issues. (I won't necessarily tie it to doing the update, but it might be the cause).

    This is incredibly annoying during SMS and Calls. For SMS, sometimes I send a text, and it gets an error because the phone temporarily goes offline around the time when I tried to send it. It receives texts delayed because of this too. For phone calls it is worse. I have stopped calling on it because it will randomly cut out and go offline, then back on again in moments.

    Like I said, I wouldn't expect it to be a signal issue as it hasn't happened before. Could it be the network is doing some changes? Or should I doctor the phone?

    I'd rather not doctor if I didn't need to, I tend to have to relink a lot of contact profiles when I do :P

    I'd also rather not have any terrible news that the phone is damaged or broken. I live in Australia and this is a nightmare to fix ;( Maybe dropped lightly, once since I got it, so nothing major.

    Thanks for your input guys!
    I'd try redoctoring it to an earlier version, Gavin.
    If the problems persist, it may be hardware or damaged modem firmware.
    If not, it could be the new firmware. For some reason, they seem to have changed antenna stuff that was working fine in previous versions.

    In case the modem firmware is corrupted, you may get the Yellow Triangle of Death, which may be a bith trickier to solve.
    Proceed at own risk.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I'd try redoctoring it to an earlier version, Gavin.
    If the problems persist, it may be hardware or damaged modem firmware.
    If not, it could be the new firmware. For some reason, they seem to have changed antenna stuff that was working fine in previous versions.

    In case the modem firmware is corrupted, you may get the Yellow Triangle of Death, which may be a bith trickier to solve.
    Proceed at own risk.
    As I said in my post, doctoring can, and probably will result in the inability to log into your Palm profile. You can risk it, but i wouldn't, as it could potentially render your phone useless. Another symptom of a bad ribbon connector would be GPS fix problems, overheating in that area, and keyboard lag. My pre 2 started with the sporadic network cycle, and then i started having keyboard problems. My first try into fixing it (after determining that the Doctor wouldn't work) was to replace the comm board, but I still had the network issues and had to skip activation in order to use the phone. Since my problems weren't over yet, i then replaced the entire back of the phone with one from an old pre- this didn't solve the problem, so I switched ribbon connectors. And, like magic, all my problems were gone.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by drewksparks View Post
    As I said in my post, doctoring can, and probably will result in the inability to log into your Palm profile. You can risk it, but i wouldn't, as it could potentially render your phone useless. Another symptom of a bad ribbon connector would be GPS fix problems, overheating in that area, and keyboard lag. My pre 2 started with the sporadic network cycle, and then i started having keyboard problems. My first try into fixing it (after determining that the Doctor wouldn't work) was to replace the comm board, but I still had the network issues and had to skip activation in order to use the phone. Since my problems weren't over yet, i then replaced the entire back of the phone with one from an old pre- this didn't solve the problem, so I switched ribbon connectors. And, like magic, all my problems were gone.
    Sorry, no way 'probably'. You're jumping to conclusions based on your own single experience.
    I've fixed more Phone Offline issues, force installed more modem firmware, and dis/reassembled more Pres than I care to remember.
    9 times out of 10, Phone Offline is caused by corrupted firmware, or plain hardware issues.
    Reference: ModemFW Flash - WebOS Internals

    The easier, more responsible, and more obvious approach is ALWAYS to run the webOS Doctor.
    What could happen during a webOS Doctor, is the doctor fails due to failed modem firmware install, in which case it could just abort and boot the OS, or result in the Yellow Triangle of Death. Only way around that last nightmare is by way of Meta Doctor with modem firmware update commented, and force installing the modem firmware afterwards.
    No way to know in advance, so doing that step first is an option, but it would be jumping to the conclusion that it is corrupted modem fw.

    Last but not least, bad ribbon connectors are rare enough to not be the first thing to think of.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Sorry, no way 'probably'. You're jumping to conclusions based on your own single experience.
    I've fixed more Phone Offline issues, force installed more modem firmware, and dis/reassembled more Pres than I care to remember.
    9 times out of 10, Phone Offline is caused by corrupted firmware, or plain hardware issues.
    Reference: ModemFW Flash - WebOS Internals

    The easier, more responsible, and more obvious approach is ALWAYS to run the webOS Doctor.
    What could happen during a webOS Doctor, is the doctor fails due to failed modem firmware install, in which case it could just abort and boot the OS, or result in the Yellow Triangle of Death. Only way around that last nightmare is by way of Meta Doctor with modem firmware update commented, and force installing the modem firmware afterwards.
    No way to know in advance, so doing that step first is an option, but it would be jumping to the conclusion that it is corrupted modem fw.

    Last but not least, bad ribbon connectors are rare enough to not be the first thing to think of.
    I had no idea that it was a rare, problem to have bad ribbon connectors, but it seemed to match exactly what i had. If the modem firmware was corrupted, Editor02 would have problems from the get-go. Editor02 also didnt want to doctor, so I suggested using my approach. Two of the three ribbon connectors i hadwere bad, with different problems. First one had data issues, and my second one had voice and keyboard issues. I wasn't trying to imply that my solution was the only one that would work, i just suggested he try it first due to his desire not to use the doctor. Sorry if i offended you. I respect your knowlege and experience.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by drewksparks View Post
    I had no idea that it was a rare, problem to have bad ribbon connectors, but it seemed to match exactly what i had. If the modem firmware was corrupted, Editor02 would have problems from the get-go. Editor02 also didnt want to doctor, so I suggested using my approach. Two of the three ribbon connectors i hadwere bad, with different problems. First one had data issues, and my second one had voice and keyboard issues. I wasn't trying to imply that my solution was the only one that would work, i just suggested he try it first due to his desire not to use the doctor. Sorry if i offended you. I respect your knowlege and experience.
    And I'm not saying you're wrong either! I'm no psychic so it could of course be his connectors.
    It's just that when trying to deduct what's wrong with a device, the first and easiest step would be the Doctor.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions