Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Balooz
  1.    #1  
    my setup

a skype acc with credit and online #.

tested on my pre2 with a Tmobile sim card, and a galaxy s captivate w/o sim card

1. it seems skype on pre 2 won't work w/o mobile network being on?

2. when calling my skype online #, pre 2 forward the call to my Tmobile #, which constitute calling from my skype to a land-line, therefore a connection fee is added, plus the calling rate. While this is completely free on captivate.

Did I miss something? or this is just ridiculous and sad?
    Are you using 2.1.0 or 2.2.4? Skype works via WiFi or 3G on my Pre 2 (VZW 2.2.4)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    Are you using 2.1.0 or 2.2.4? Skype works via WiFi or 3G on my Pre 2 (VZW 2.2.4)

This.. And I honestly dont see the big deal.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Of Course its gonna suck on; T-Mobile.Its T-Mobile. The Data and service just sucks. Its just a wee step up from a cricket network.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    especially if your trying or using it, while on a pre paid! No 3g or 4g with pre on their netwok, your stuck with slow motion 2g.
    giggles likes this.
    Cleavin, you have something configured terribly wrong if you're calling your Skype # and it's ending up on your cell line.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Cleavin, you have something configured terribly wrong if you're calling your Skype # and it's ending up on your cell line.
    what is correct configure? I just added skype account in the account manager and in the skype app, logged in.

what else should I do?

I am hoping that when I am at a place w/o cell signal, i can just do free wifi calling. It obviously would not work if the skype is somehow tied to the mobile network.

PS. when I check my skype acc, it says "call forward" to my TM cell number.

PS2. I did turn on the airplane mode and then turned on wifi, I want to test if I can rely on wifi alone to get calls from people to the skype on my pre2. and it did not work.
    Last edited by clevin; 01/12/2012 at 04:47 AM.
  8.    #8  

2.2.4 wifi

I am not saying it doesn't work, I am saying it costs when it should be free on my GSM and it needs the cell work connected to work.

If you turn off VZW network, then use wifi alone, can people call you on your pre2's skype # for free?
    Quote Originally Posted by Balooz View Post
    especially if your trying or using it, while on a pre paid! No 3g or 4g with pre on their netwok, your stuck with slow motion 2g.
    Thats not true. they do have prepaid, no contract 4G plan, in fact, $60 for 2G of 4G speed and remaining unlimited (slow) data, unlimited text and minutes.

And TM now has a pretty good phone for their prepaid plan too, samsung exhibit II 4G.
    Last edited by clevin; 01/12/2012 at 04:49 AM.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    It is impossible for a pre2 to get anything above 2G on tmobile network.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    what is correct configure? I just added skype account in the account manager and in the skype app, logged in.

what else should I do?

I am hoping that when I am at a place w/o cell signal, i can just do free wifi calling. It obviously would not work if the skype is somehow tied to the mobile network.

PS. when I check my skype acc, it says "call forward" to my TM cell number.

PS2. I did turn on the airplane mode and then turned on wifi, I want to test if I can rely on wifi alone to get calls from people to the skype on my pre2. and it did not work.
    Okay, the call forward number is when you're offline. Open the the messaging app and check your status - Is it set to "Available"?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Balooz View Post
    It is impossible for a pre2 to get anything above 2G on tmobile network.
    I am aware of that. I have another dedicated Tmobile 4G MHP.
    Okay, the call forward number is when you're offline. Open the the messaging app and check your status - Is it set to "Available"?
    i will try this out next time, I think I know what you mean now. Thanks for the advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I am aware of that. I have another dedicated Tmobile 4G MHP.

i will try this out next time, I think I know what you mean now. Thanks for the advice.
    I'm pretty positive that should work.