Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    I'm very happy with my frankenpre2. It feels like the natural evolution of phone technology, it's everything I wished my pre- was. A great little phone, solid as a rock, glass screen, good battery life, nice feeling in my hand.

The only real complaint I can lob at it is that it still shares the pre-'s slightly too-small screen. If I was using my pre- for it's web-browsing capabilities on a more than "sometimes" occasion, I would want a much larger screen. As it sits, I have my touchpad to handle any serious mobile browsing, so this slight shortfall in capabilities doesn't bother me at all. The pre2 is serviceable for my needs.

At any rate, if you're going to go pre2 now's the time to do it. Parts are cheap, pre2's are cheap and new enough to still have some flawless examples floating around, touchstones are 5$, batteries are like 4$. It'll be a good phone and capable of handling your needs for the next couple of years. I'm glad I made the switch, you'll like it too.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Thanks everyone for the responses! I think I knew deep down all along that I really wanted to jump back to webOS regardless of its prospects for the future, but the stories you all shared have helped me decide for sure that it is the right thing to do. I just ordered a Verizon Pre 2 from eBay and can't wait for it to arrive! I guess my Evo 3D will just become a nice 3D camera and mini-tablet.

I look forward to seeing what Sconix has done for webOS 2.x, as well as all the other Preware goodness there is to be had. The Facebook app sounds like a mixed bag, but I was enamored with the old FB client so I'm sure I'll be just fine with its bugs and missing features... just having a keyboard that I can accurately type with will go miles to that end.

Now I'm really kicking myself for not getting a Touchpad back when they were $99. I had a chance, but passed because I'd just switched to Android and didn't expect to return to webOS. And now that I'm returning, I'm kicking myself for not jumping to ATT/Verizon to stick with webOS in the first place because now there's a hefty ETF between a Pre 3 and me. Ah well!
    "Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter can be said to remedy anything."
    ~ Kurt Vonnegut
    ehosey2 likes this.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Sconix has done great work, rest assured.
    The FB app has improved since you used it, but it's not the best. I think you'll manage though. As I said in my previous post, your experience with webOS will make you more lenient to some minor problems, because admit it. You like webOS.
    You do have to get the line switched to the minus donor before FrankenPreing.

The Facebook app has been sorely neglected since the TouchPad came out. It's still pretty much the same but good.

I had no issues with the browser in 2.1 on my FrankenPre 2. Since 2.2.4, there's some funny font and image sizing issues that are rather annoying, but otherwise solid.

Also in 2.2.4, there are in general some annoying rendering issues with the switch to Enyo. Menus don't always look exactly right. They still work just fine though. Many patches and apps haven't been updated to 2.2.4 yet either, though the big ones are there.
    If you don't like 2.4 you can just doctor back to 2.1. That's what I did

edit: Forced me to update again after a few weeks. Not liking not having disable light bar patch
    Last edited by laingman; 01/13/2012 at 07:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    If you don't like 2.4 you can just doctor back to 2.1. That's what I did

edit: Forced me to update again after a few weeks. Not liking not having disable light bar patch
    Is the patch for prior versions compatible, just not updated? You can edit the feeds in Preware and override it to include the feed for 2.1.0 if you want. The URL is the same form as the one for the patches feed of your current version.

I did this to get a few other patches back and it worked just fine. Just be careful not to add a stray patch known not to work anymore.

Edit: And there's a reminder around the forums for blocking the update. Probably right on the first page or two of the Pre 2 section.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Is the patch for prior versions compatible, just not updated? You can edit the feeds in Preware and override it to include the feed for 2.1.0 if you want. The URL is the same form as the one for the patches feed of your current version.

I did this to get a few other patches back and it worked just fine. Just be careful not to add a stray patch known not to work anymore.

Edit: And there's a reminder around the forums for blocking the update. Probably right on the first page or two of the Pre 2 section.
    Did you try the lightbar patch to see if it worked?
    I'm pretty curious about the other flavors of Android out there, and I've been following the work of CyanogenMod for a while with interest. But, having said that, I've been in the WebOS world pretty much exclusively since I got a Pre- a few months after release. I've played with iPhones, iPads and a few Android phones, and my impressions have been mixed. iOS has a nice interface, but I find webOS a lot more intuitive. I hear my parents complain about certain things their iPhone4's don't do, and I'm surprised since my Pre- did that almost 3 years ago!

Last July I FrankenPre2'd. I bought a Sprint FrankenPre2 from a member here and swapped over my active com board from my Pre-. Things went pretty smooth. The boards here helped alot, as well as WebOS Internals. I strongly recommend donating to them as they really help the WebOS world be as great as it is.

The Pre2 is a great phone. The Gorilla glass screen is great, and while I like the smooth pebble feel of the original Pre, the glass screen adds heft, durability and clarity that plastic just can't match.

Speed and operability are great. The Pre2 is the phone the original Pre should have been. I have some menu and system patches running, but I haven't overclocked it yet. Its running current at 2.2.4.

Good luck and be sure to donate to WebOS Internals!
    Casio Databank watch, Casio BOSS, Sharp Wizard OZ-8600 256k, HP Palmtop 360LX, Palm IIIc, Motorola StarTac, Palm Treo 650, Palm Pre, Palm Pre2, HP Touchpad
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Many thanks for the continued input and shared wisdom. I will definitely be donating to webosinternals!

I have my shiny new Verizon Pre2 sitting beside me along with my old Pre (now that i've fully backed it up) right now as my laptop's video adapter (or APU, rather) is making Ubuntu choke. Ah, I'm loving it! No sarcasm... Working through the kinks makes the end result that much more satisfying. Just need to metadoctor this webosdr then the real fun begins. I've been dying to use this t5 screwdriver for quite some time. (:

Tomorrow I will have the pleasure of walking into the "developer pit" at work and making them all puke in their mouths a little when they get a load of what I've done. Mwuahahhahahaha
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    So Ubuntu didn't like my laptop and my desktop recently died. I don't have time to fix either issue but fortunately ncinerate helped me get past that step. I'm now trying to activate my Pre- and the sprint website says I have to change plans to activate my old Pre-. I have a family package right now with the $10 data charge on both lines. Anyone else ran into this? I can't swap boards until I'm activated and have backed up the new PRL. I'm just too lazy to call right now. Twin toddlers take it out of you. Ill call them tomorrow and share my experience, but I'm very curious to know if going back to the pre means going back to free data.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Well, it seems Sprint's online activation tool was just being stupid. Their representative told me that the change to the account was the addition of the $10 data package.

I went ahead and finished of the Franken Pre procedure this morning and am now the proud owner of a Pre 2! So far I'm really digging it, although it is running horribly while all of my apps are being downloaded and installed. My only concern is that the hardware of the Evo 3D will have spoiled me to the point that the Pre 2 seems slow (despite its relative fastness when compared to the Pre-).

Thanks again to everyone for helping me decide to switch back to webOS!
    "Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter can be said to remedy anything."
    ~ Kurt Vonnegut
    Quote Originally Posted by nullity View Post
    Well, it seems Sprint's online activation tool was just being stupid. Their representative told me that the change to the account was the addition of the $10 data package.

I went ahead and finished of the Franken Pre procedure this morning and am now the proud owner of a Pre 2! So far I'm really digging it, although it is running horribly while all of my apps are being downloaded and installed. My only concern is that the hardware of the Evo 3D will have spoiled me to the point that the Pre 2 seems slow (despite its relative fastness when compared to the Pre-).

Thanks again to everyone for helping me decide to switch back to webOS!
    I don't find any real issues with pep and speed on my pre2, but I am running 1.2ghz and have installed the relevant patches to improve performance.

Now that your pre2 is up and running - make sure you add the 2.2.3 feeds to preware so you have access to all of the patches (they work on 2.2.4), and MAU's system control optimization patch is a must for performance. The regular logging-killing fixes are recommended as well (punch ##LOGS# into the dialer, then set logging to minimal). I also suggest MAU's disk cache mod. Seems to help smooth things out a bit.

That initial period of sync is nasty-slow though . You'll get through it and on to enjoying your pre2.

BTW - thanks for the beer!
    Last edited by ncinerate; 01/20/2012 at 02:23 PM.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    I don't find any real issues with pep and speed on my pre2, but I am running 1.2ghz and have installed the relevant patches to improve performance.
    I'm happy with performance for the most part, but there are still times when it grinds to a halt for several seconds. I'm not sure if this is related to e-mail polling or what. I'm using Uberkernel with the default 1.2 GHz profile... which kernel are you on?

Now that your pre2 is up and running - make sure you add the 2.2.3 feeds to preware so you have access to all of the patches (they work on 2.2.4), and MAU's system control optimization patch is a must for performance. The regular logging-killing fixes are recommended as well (punch ##LOGS# into the dialer, then set logging to minimal). I also suggest MAU's disk cache mod. Seems to help smooth things out a bit.
    Thanks for the tips. I've done the ##LOGS# trick, but can I ask what system patches you are using? I want to ensure I'm not missing anything or using anything that may actually be hurting my performance. I've enabled the 2.2.3 feeds but some of the patches won't install (such as "Disable Compcache and enable linux Swap"). The relevant patches I'm currently using are:

Advanced System Behavior
    Buttah
    Disk Cache Mod
    Muffle System Logging
    Remove Dropped Packet Logging
    System Control Optimization

That initial period of sync is nasty-slow though . You'll get through it and on to enjoying your pre2.

BTW - thanks for the beer!
    Very true about the initial sync being very slow. And you're most certainly welcome for the beer. You have no idea how helpful your PM was... between working full time and chasing twin toddlers around every waking moment when I'm not at work, it could have been quite some time before I reached this point unassisted.
    ~ Kurt Vonnegut
    where did you buy your pre 2 and how much? my pre- is almost gone and i hate android and do not like iphones. been thinking about doing this also for a while now.
    Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDCONTRA View Post
    where did you buy your pre 2 and how much? my pre- is almost gone and i hate android and do not like iphones. been thinking about doing this also for a while now.
    I picked mine up off local craigslist (ended up actually buying a Dev's development pre2 - what he used to test out apps he was making). Was a good deal.

Ebay, craigslist, or even the marketplace here at webosnation tend to be good places to pick one up .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12