Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    Forgive me if the info I am requesting is easily obtainable, and staring me in the face, but I wasn't able to find it so...

    What is the best guide to help me with switching from a Pre+ to a Pre2 on Verizon? I don't want to make any big mistakes, and I'm not clear how I get my apps over to the Pre2 (will Save/Restore app do it?). If you have any helpful hitns or guides or advice, I would appreciate.

    My Launch Day Verizon Palm Pre+ is starting to have issues (mostly the volume up gets activated such that the volume indicator bar stays on all the time at full volume. Its like the volume up rocker is continuously pressed. It's probably not mechanical because no amount of pushing causes it to stop. It will stop on it's own, or I can reset the phone. But it will come back again later. I can turn the silent switch on, but if I'm playing certain games (No Gravity in particular) the sound comes through anyway and you can't stop it. I end up inserting a male to male 1/8th inch audio cable in the headphone jack to 'stop' the sound. But the sound volume indication bar covers some of the screen and some of the controls.

    Of course, after getting the Pre2, and doing the Palm/HP backup, I'll want to get Preware on there...it's been a long while since I installed Preware...I'll need to find a guide on that too. But if anyone has something or can point me to a guide or thread that will be instructive on doing this, thank you.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

    I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

  2. #2  
    Start here. Not for Pre+ to Pre2, but still applies.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Forgive me if the info I am requesting is easily obtainable, and staring me in the face, but I wasn't able to find it so...

    What is the best guide to help me with switching from a Pre+ to a Pre2 on Verizon? I don't want to make any big mistakes, and I'm not clear how I get my apps over to the Pre2 (will Save/Restore app do it?). If you have any helpful hitns or guides or advice, I would appreciate.

    My Launch Day Verizon Palm Pre+ is starting to have issues (mostly the volume up gets activated such that the volume indicator bar stays on all the time at full volume. Its like the volume up rocker is continuously pressed. It's probably not mechanical because no amount of pushing causes it to stop. It will stop on it's own, or I can reset the phone. But it will come back again later. I can turn the silent switch on, but if I'm playing certain games (No Gravity in particular) the sound comes through anyway and you can't stop it. I end up inserting a male to male 1/8th inch audio cable in the headphone jack to 'stop' the sound. But the sound volume indication bar covers some of the screen and some of the controls.

    Of course, after getting the Pre2, and doing the Palm/HP backup, I'll want to get Preware on there...it's been a long while since I installed Preware...I'll need to find a guide on that too. But if anyone has something or can point me to a guide or thread that will be instructive on doing this, thank you.
    I upgraded from the Pre + to the Pre 2 and it was amazingly easy. Login to your HP profile and your App Catalog apps are restored along with all of your accounts.

    First, from your old phone, do a backup using the HP utility, then From Preware open the saved packages list from the menu and do an update, then, before turning off your old phone, run save/restore and copy the saverestore folder from the usb drive to your computer - don't forget to copy everything else as well - photos, music, videos, documents, etc.

    When you get your new phone, and login to your profile all of your paid apps will be restored. After your HP Profile has been restored, turn on devmode by typing webos20090606, then install Preware, and Save/Restore from your computer using the webOS quick install utility from webOS internals. Copy all of your saved files onto your new phone, run Save/Restore and restore the Preware settings (you'll have to open Preware once before you can do this). Then, after a restart, open Preware > Menu > Saved Packages list and all of your apps and patches (assuming compatibility) from Preware should be listed there. You can install them one at a time or just tap on Install and they should install. Be careful not to tap update at this point or you'll lose the list and have to restore it again from Save/Restore.

    Hope that helps!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    Start here. Not for Pre+ to Pre2, but still applies.
    Did you mean to have a link in your post? If so, it isn't displaying on my end. If you want to supply a link, feel free to post again here or PM me. Thanks!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

    I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    I upgraded from the Pre + to the Pre 2 and it was amazingly easy. Login to your HP profile and your App Catalog apps are restored along with all of your accounts.

    First, from your old phone, do a backup using the HP utility, then From Preware open the saved packages list from the menu and do an update, then, before turning off your old phone, run save/restore and copy the saverestore folder from the usb drive to your computer - don't forget to copy everything else as well - photos, music, videos, documents, etc.

    When you get your new phone, and login to your profile all of your paid apps will be restored. After your HP Profile has been restored, turn on devmode by typing webos20090606, then install Preware, and Save/Restore from your computer using the webOS quick install utility from webOS internals. Copy all of your saved files onto your new phone, run Save/Restore and restore the Preware settings (you'll have to open Preware once before you can do this). Then, after a restart, open Preware > Menu > Saved Packages list and all of your apps and patches (assuming compatibility) from Preware should be listed there. You can install them one at a time or just tap on Install and they should install. Be careful not to tap update at this point or you'll lose the list and have to restore it again from Save/Restore.

    Hope that helps!
    Good stuff, thank you! I assume I can order my phone online before doing the last update...it's the initiation of my new phone that I need to wait on until I accomplish the items in your second paragraph, right? Since my phone is supplied by my office, I will need to wait until Tuesday (Monday is an office holiday) to confirm/get permission to proceed. So I probably can't get my phone until Wednesday or Thursday of next week. I will wait and do the updates on my old Pre+ until I am ready to activate the new Pre2.

    By the way, how are you liking the move? Pros/Cons you want to share?

    Thank you again for all the helpful information!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

    I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Good stuff, thank you! I assume I can order my phone online before doing the last update...it's the initiation of my new phone that I need to wait on until I accomplish the items in your second paragraph, right? Since my phone is supplied by my office, I will need to wait until Tuesday (Monday is an office holiday) to confirm/get permission to proceed. So I probably can't get my phone until Wednesday or Thursday of next week. I will wait and do the updates on my old Pre+ until I am ready to activate the new Pre2.
    Sure, you can get your old phone info off of your old phone anytime, so you'll be ready when your new phone arrives. The profile on your old phone will just move to your new one once you log in to the profile servers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    By the way, how are you liking the move? Pros/Cons you want to share?

    Thank you again for all the helpful information!
    Well, I didn't really have a choice, since my Pre + fell into the "drink". But I was really surprised how much sturdier and faster it is - never looked back.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    Start here. Not for Pre+ to Pre2, but still applies.
    I didn't get the link either. Can you please re-post it? Thanks!
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    By the way, how are you liking the move? Pros/Cons you want to share?
    I made the move back in December. It was time for my Pre+ to go, and I had originally planned to get an iPhone 4s. My wife got one, and I got the Pre2 off eBay instead. I'm SO much happier with my Pre2. It's a great little phone.
  9.    #9  
    Well I bought a PRe2 from that 6/30/12 Daily Deals offer and expect I will get it within the next week. So I'm starting to try and educate myself on making the move. There's some great info in this thread that has been provided, but I thought I would 'reawaken' this beast to see if others have helpful hints to offer.

    Thanks! I'm getting excited!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

    I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

  10. #10  
    I just switched to the Pre 2 from Pre+ verizon last week, after picking up the Pre 2 from Dailysteals. I followed this guide from the articles section. It's an article about the Homebrew Save/Restore app. Gives step by step instructions. I had no problems, other than duplicating some files. Here's the link:
    Understanding the Homebrew Save/Restore App | webOS Nation

    I do have a problem now after updating to 2.1 with my maps app. There are some threads in this forum that I'll have to wade through to fix it, but its a loop between google maps and bing.

    I also have found a much quicker battery drain on the Pre 2, along the lines of 10% per hour. Again there are some threads here about that and I'm trying to improve the battery life.

    Other than that, love the phone. Sturdier, faster and gorilla glass. And gps.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/11/2012 at 07:57 PM.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by BBell View Post

    I also have found a much quicker battery drain on the Pre 2, along the lines of 10% per hour. Again there are some threads here about that and I'm trying to improve the battery life.

    Other than that, love the phone. Sturdier, faster and gorilla glass. And gps.
    Totally agree with the battery drain on the device, I think that the 10% battery percentage you are talking about its must be sitting idle without any actual use. In my experience, I seen close to an 8% battery drain within an hour while sitting idle on my night-stand. But when using the actual device in web-browsing mode during work, the battery drain is much quicker than that closely to resemble like 10% within 15 to 20 minutes. One of the reasons of the drastic battery drain, is that Palm decided to cut corners with the Palm Pre 2 device putting the same 1150mAh battery life from the first generations of Pres.

    That is why I decided to go with a stronger battery pack the Mugen 1400mAh capacity which, lot of people recommended for Palm Pre 2 users. I already got a shipping confirmation, on the website they told me that this weekend it should be arriving. I'm happy to see how those batts pack improves the battery performance on my Palm Pre 2.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post

    That is why I decided to go with a stronger battery pack the Mugen 1400mAh capacity which, lot of people recommended for Palm Pre 2 users. I already got a shipping confirmation, on the website they told me that this weekend it should be arriving. I'm happy to see how those batts pack improves the battery performance on my Palm Pre 2.


    It would be great if you posted back to relate how the new battery works out. I probably will go that route.
    I'm probably also going to have to Doctor after the 2.1 update as I'm finding additional bugs, such as speaker cut out, changes aren't sticking in my ringtone, besides the map issue. A little frustrating. But on the bright side, I've only went through the save/restore process last week with my change from Pre Plus to Pre 2, so it's fresh in my mind!
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by BBell View Post
    I just switched to the Pre 2 from Pre+ verizon last week, after picking up the Pre 2 from Dailysteals. I followed this guide from the articles section. It's an article about the Homebrew Save/Restore app. Gives step by step instructions. I had no problems, other than duplicating some files. Here's the link:
    Understanding the Homebrew Save/Restore App | webOS Nation

    I do have a problem now after updating to 2.1 with my maps app. There are some threads in this forum that I'll have to wade through to fix it, but its a loop between google maps and bing.

    I also have found a much quicker battery drain on the Pre 2, along the lines of 10% per hour. Again there are some threads here about that and I'm trying to improve the battery life.

    Other than that, love the phone. Sturdier, faster and gorilla glass. And gps.
    I tried to follow the instructions for save/restore...wish I had found that before I switched over...I did not do one step right before 'closing down' my Pre+. I did not go into preware and do step 1 [Open Preware, swipe down from the top-left of the screen to bring down the Preware Application menu, select "Saved Package List" and click "Update"]. So I may be in trouble.

    Also, when I used WOSQI to install Preware, I also installed Google Maps, and Android Flashlight, and Subway Maps. So before I started the rest of the save/restore process, I used preware to delete those 3 apps...just in case. Now I worry that might cause a problem too.

    And, I'm experiencing a problem...I think. Step 7 seems to be stuck. I've been looking at the same info on the screen for 30 minutes...no change other than the rotating circle of doom. At the top of the page it says Saved Package List. Just below the Circle of Doom, or COD if you prefer (I actually like salmon myself) it says:

    Downloading / Installing
    Transferred:108k / 108k
    Time Left: --:--:--
    Transfer Speed: 36100

    This hasn't changed in at least 30 minutes. Any suggestions? Oh, and webOS 2.1 wants to install...I'm afraid to do that in this process...and even more so since you mentioned the problems 2.1 seems to be giving you.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

    I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    I tried to follow the instructions for save/restore...wish I had found that before I switched over...I did not do one step right before 'closing down' my Pre+. I did not go into preware and do step 1 [Open Preware, swipe down from the top-left of the screen to bring down the Preware Application menu, select "Saved Package List" and click "Update"]. So I may be in trouble.

    Also, when I used WOSQI to install Preware, I also installed Google Maps, and Android Flashlight, and Subway Maps. So before I started the rest of the save/restore process, I used preware to delete those 3 apps...just in case. Now I worry that might cause a problem too.

    And, I'm experiencing a problem...I think. Step 7 seems to be stuck. I've been looking at the same info on the screen for 30 minutes...no change other than the rotating circle of doom. At the top of the page it says Saved Package List. Just below the Circle of Doom, or COD if you prefer (I actually like salmon myself) it says:

    Downloading / Installing
    Transferred:108k / 108k
    Time Left: --:--:--
    Transfer Speed: 36100

    This hasn't changed in at least 30 minutes. Any suggestions? Oh, and webOS 2.1 wants to install...I'm afraid to do that in this process...and even more so since you mentioned the problems 2.1 seems to be giving you.
    Sorry I got this email late in the game, but I'm afraid that other than pointing out the thread, I'm not much use here. I'm not very skilled in this area, only enough to follow steps and hope all goes right. I hope it worked out for you. At the very least you can doctor the phone and start over.

    I'll be doctoring mine soon in the next few days when I get enough time...

Posting Permissions