Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Cantaffordit
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I've checked the Net and this forum for how to lock my unit down securely and all I've found is information on how to turn the screen off (i.e., lock) so that it doesn't accidentally get turned on. To me, that's not "locking" it. To use the front door of a house as an analogy, it's the difference between closing the front door and locking the front door. Closing the front door doesn't stop burglars from entering. Locking does.

What I need to know is how to be able to securely lock my Palm Pre down so that if I were to leave it in a public place that no one could simply press the power button and slide the 'lock' up and get into my Palm Pre. I want the same end result that I get when my Screen & Lock setting of 30 minutes kicks in and requires my PIN (password) to unlock it.

Bottom line: I want to be able to securely lock my unit whenever I want so that no one can access it. Thanks.

Paul
    I always use Lock After: Screen Turns Off. I don't think there is a quick way to switch from lock after 30 minutes to Screen Turns off, but like I said I never used a duration lock, I just always want my phone locked when I'm not using it.
    That said, you would:
    - type "lock"
    - tap the Screen and Lock icon
    - change Lock After to "Screen Turns Off"
    - click the power button to turn screen off
    then to go back to 30 minute duration, do the same with a switch back to 30 mins.
    EDIT: you can actually leave screen and lock open to facilitate your switch back after you unlock (I thought it might have to be closed for the setting to 'stick').
  3.    #3  
    Hi bbito,

Thanks. I had thought of that but it's too many extra steps. But it will get the job done.

I use the 30 minute setting because I keep it on at my desk.

It would just be nice if there was something like the ScreenOff app that could be placed in the Quick Launch bar. One step and bang!, it's securely locked. Thanks again, bbito!

Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Body Extreme View Post
    Hi bbito,

Thanks. I had thought of that but it's too many extra steps. But it will get the job done.

I use the 30 minute setting because I keep it on at my desk.

It would just be nice if there was something like the ScreenOff app that could be placed in the Quick Launch bar. One step and bang!, it's securely locked. Thanks again, bbito!

Paul
    If you're looking to switch the timing of the lock you should consider looking into Mode Switcher. You could set a mode to, say, change the lock timing to 30s when your phone is off the charger. This is pretty easy, once you learn Mode Switcher.

Also, FWIW, ebasso was rude. Considering the 7 posts he/she has i wouldn't take it as an indication of the webos community.
    <thread cleaned>
    <civility encouraged>
    HelloNNNewman and bevcraw like this.
  6.    #6  
    That could work very well. I'll look into it. Thanks, NickVTPre.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    um well. This is what your asking so.. Go to the Screen an lock app. Go to secure lock and put on a pin or password. Simple as that. Or if you want it at a certain time just use mode switcher and have a mode where secure lock is on and one that it isn't. And install the manual mode switch patch so you can easily turn it on and off.
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    um well. This is what your asking so.. Go to the Screen an lock app. Go to secure lock and put on a pin or password. Simple as that. Or if you want it at a certain time just use mode switcher and have a mode where secure lock is on and one that it isn't. And install the manual mode switch patch so you can easily turn it on and off.
    I've been trying to figure it out with Mode Switcher for a bit, since it doesn't have proper timing. I think i'll use a modifier to trigger it on, and time of day to keep it on.

Anyone know how secure it is? DK if it's full disk or just a gui lock...
  9.    #9  
    A belated thank you to everyone for your help!