Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By suprolla
  • 1 Post By johnnygewitter
  • 1 Post By johnnygewitter
  • 1 Post By xandros9
  1.    #1  
    Let me start by first saying that my very first smartphone was the Sprint Palm Pre, got it when it first launched. Anyways, I've switched to AT&T and now have a Samsung Captivate, which isn't a bad phone at all. But I find myself constantly trying to swipe cards away on my Captivate-- I miss WebOS. So I'm stuck between the Pre 2 and Veer. The Pre 3 is out of the question because of price and lack of memory. Now the Veer is only $106.99 brand new on Amazon, while the Pre 2 is $199.99 new, and $125.99 used. Sure the Pre 2 has a 1 GHz processor and a larger screen, not much larger, but from what I've read the Veer is just as fast while only running on a 800 MHz processor. But what I'm concerned about is the magnetic charger and headphone jack that comes with the Veer. I mean, I have about 4 or 5 touchstone chargers so maybe not so worried about the charger. But if I lose the magnetic headphone jack, then I'm pretty much screwed, haven't seen them sold online.

The size of the Veer doesn't matter to me, I've played with it before and had no issues.
    a used pre2 sounds better that a new veer...
    1 - the veer doesn't have the 2.2.4 update, not officially, so no TTS and i guess and there for it doesn't give any advantage to the veer.
    no support from HP
    2 - a used pre 2 with the gorilla glass it won't have any scratches on it.
    The Veer's keyboard is VERY better...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I'd go with the Veer - if for nothing else, battery life.

I had a Pre 2 for a while, before HP discontinued them; and the battery life was abysmal. Even WITH all the tweaks and patches in place, with as many services shut off as was reasonable, the battery would be dead by 5pm every day. You need Touchstones everywhere if you go with the Pre 2.

I find I use my Veer the most. Battery life is great, and the phone itself is supremely pocketable. You hardly know you have it with you - for the money, it's hard to beat.

And one more tidbit I really like; I know lots of folks have been less than enamored with the mag connector for the Veer, but I keep mine connected to an audio cable plugged into the Aux port in my car. A quick 'snap' onto the Veer, pull up Pandora... and streaming audio on the go is delightfully clean and easy.
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    As much as I would love to have 4G (faux G, fake 4G, whatever) data speeds, I cannot deal with AT&T's poor customer service and call quality. Dropped calls drive me nuts, and btw I do live in an area that is "covered" by AT&T. As my Pre+ comes of age and contract ends, I most likely will be getting a Pre2 instead.
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    I'd go for the Veer, too. Had one for a few weeks, and it's very nice. Beautiful, fast, great keyboard, apparently it's also the cheaper option for you.
    With the connector, just do what gihmley does, keep it connected to your headphones.
    Is the Pre 3 really no option? Don't the Veer and the Pre 3 both have 8GB memory?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    I'd go for the Veer, too. Had one for a few weeks, and it's very nice. Beautiful, fast, great keyboard, apparently it's also the cheaper option for you.
    With the connector, just do what gihmley does, keep it connected to your headphones.
    Is the Pre 3 really no option? Don't the Veer and the Pre 3 both have 8GB memory?
    Pre 3 has 132MB less available RAM than the Pre 2 and Veer, the single-chip cellular modem solution shares the RAM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombienaut View Post
    Pre 3 has 132MB less available RAM than the Pre 2 and Veer, the single-chip cellular modem solution shares the RAM.
    Ah you're talking about RAM. IMO it's no real problem, my Pre 3 runs fine. I've seen TMC errors of course, but I think it's because of memory leakage and not because it has not enough in general.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    Ah you're talking about RAM. IMO it's no real problem, my Pre 3 runs fine. I've seen TMC errors of course, but I think it's because of memory leakage and not because it has not enough in general.
    Regardless, the Pre 3 just doesn't appeal to me, seems rather bulky.
    The Veer has 2.2.3 and the Pre 2 has 2.2.4, but does that make the Pre 2 better because it has the lastest software?

Update: I just find someone selling a brand new Veer for $79.99.
    I believe there's no meaningful advantage from 2.2.3 to 2.2.4. Veer for $80? Go for it
    zclash likes this.
  11.    #11  
    I think I will go with the HP Veer, but now I am a little worried about screen size. I know I mentioned I've played around with it before, but I can't honestly remember how small it really was. This was when it first launched and they don't carry them in any electronic stores anymore.
    Screen resolution is the same as the Pixi's. Just my personal opinion, but when I had the Veer, I thought it was perfectly usable. Browsing the web is sometimes really unsatisfactory though. A lot of zooming and scrolling. Some apps are not available because of the resolution, too. But on the other hand, the Veer feels really well, nice, solid, beautiful. I have the Pre 3 now, but I sometimes do miss the Veer. So small, fits in every pocket easily and is not annoying in your pants pocket. Keyboard is very good, too.
    Oh but one of the main reasons I switched to the Pre 3 was the front camera for Skype.
    But for $80 it's certainly no mispurchase.
    zclash likes this.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    and you can freetether your touchpad at 4G speeds if available.
    I had a similar decision earlier this year, and I sprung for a Pre2. Why?
    -Replaceable battery (easily accessible, battery type more common)
    -Larger screen
    -I didn't have any use for TTS
    -I wanted a built-in headphone jack (kinda finicky though)
    -LED flash

edit: oh yea, I wanted the palm logo too ^^
    edit 2: and the Pre is more unbrickable
    Last edited by xandros9; 12/30/2011 at 12:32 PM.
    GreenHex likes this.
    I have both Pre2 and Veer, start to using Pre2 since June this year and bought and used the Veer since Nov for around one month and finally switched back to Pre2
    my impression:
    Pre2 is MUCH faster than Veer (The main reason for me to swtich back to Pre2)
    Veer built is solid, better than Pre2
    The screen size of Veer is small, but still acceptable
    Keyboard in Veer is better
    Pre2 has more apps
    Palm IIIe > Sony S300 > Sony N700 > Sony TG50 > Sony TH55 > Trēo 680 > Palm Prē > Palm Prē 2 (GSM) + Veer