Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My wife and I just upgraded to VzW Pre2s for the holidays, moving up from our 1.4.5 plusses.

I'm aware of some of the more frustrating bugs out there (voice dial killing all audio, the media database, etc), but the one that's sincerely pushed me to the brink of quitting after one week is the persistent audio-stuttering during playback.

From my cursory searches, I cannot find anyone who's pinned this down (that memory leak thread seemed to be something - but kinda up and died without a solution). Did I miss an important thread, or is it not something anyone else is to bothered by? Or is this an issue that only bombs out on certain pre2's and not on others?

I have a long commute every day, and leaning on music-remix is what keeps me sane...and I REALLY don't want to figure out where my ipod is, and start using that again.

Anyone? Tips, tricks, cheats to skip the skipping? Or am I SOL?

2.    #2  
    For what it's worth, this does not appear to be an issue at all with streaming audio (spotify - but spotify is it's own stupid set of unrelated problems). The stuttering only appears to occur when playing a local music file.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I'm in the same boat and would really like to find a solution...I love WebOS to death but not being able to play local music files without stuttering is ridiculous and starting to get the best of me.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    this just came onto my pre2. anybody ever figured out a fix?
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I'm not sure if I had the same thing, but I think it was something like "lag" in my case. Like something was running in the background and causing the music to stutter.
    A device shut-down did it.
    I also have sometimes a "phone" lag. While using the phone app, it seems to stutter.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    I'm not sure if I had the same thing, but I think it was something like "lag" in my case. Like something was running in the background and causing the music to stutter.
    A device shut-down did it.
    I also have sometimes a "phone" lag. While using the phone app, it seems to stutter.
    yha its like a lag.. but a phone shutdown dosent fix it.
    I saw giggles post on this, and have been wondering if this is kernel related?

I use F105A and do get occasional stutter when playing over bluetooth. I've been wondering if it's because the kernel governor that i'm using (SSv3) is causing issues.

Anyone having the problem that is using a stock kernel?
    My Pre 2 started doing this audio stuttering a few weeks ago and it's been driving me nuts. Today I just put the stock kernel back in (was running UberKernel, but not normally overclocked - even when clocked faster, audio still suttered) and I just finished trying to listen to music and hearing it stutter frequently. I'm not sure what changed or what happened. I've tried running JStop to fix it; No go. Just removed the Disc Cache Mod patch; No go. I'm going to try removing the Mojo named patches as well, because this seems to be the only other things that I loaded in that time frame, though some apps have updated.

It's very frustrating not being able to listen to soothing music on my morning drive into work. Hopefully, someone will find the fix for this. I'll report back if something I do fixes it on my Pre 2.
    OK. Just removed those patches and it still skips. The only other thing I know that changed in the time frame that I started getting skips was an update for Music Remix that timed with the TouchPads 3.0.5 update (apparently this broke something in Music Remix). The only thing is, this skipping occurs in the regular audio app as well. So I wonder if either Music Remix changes some files that impact, globally, audio playback? Or did the 3.0.5 update result in some other update to 2.1, or some app on it, that impacted the audio?

I only know that my issues started around that time frame and I never had a problem like this before. It would only have a one time skip, on rare occasion, when doing something like flipping into Exhibition Mode. Not this random stuttering left and right.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    OK. Just removed those patches and it still skips. The only other thing I know that changed in the time frame that I started getting skips was an update for Music Remix that timed with the TouchPads 3.0.5 update (apparently this broke something in Music Remix). The only thing is, this skipping occurs in the regular audio app as well. So I wonder if either Music Remix changes some files that impact, globally, audio playback? Or did the 3.0.5 update result in some other update to 2.1, or some app on it, that impacted the audio?

I only know that my issues started around that time frame and I never had a problem like this before. It would only have a one time skip, on rare occasion, when doing something like flipping into Exhibition Mode. Not this random stuttering left and right.
    The 2.5.10 update to Music Player (Remix) would have no impact to audio quality. It merely fixed a display bug related to screen orientation that was introduced by the webOS 3.0.5 update.

There's nothing that Music Player (Remix), or any other app, could do to affect audio quality globally on the device. I know TouchPads (running webOS 3.x) have had audio issues that have been well documented in the forums. HP modified the audio drivers in 3.0.5 to work around one of the issues. I wouldn't be surprised if 2.x had similar issues.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    It happens in the stock music player too, so I don't think it has to do with Music Player Remix.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    The 2.5.10 update to Music Player (Remix) would have no impact to audio quality. It merely fixed a display bug related to screen orientation that was introduced by the webOS 3.0.5 update.

There's nothing that Music Player (Remix), or any other app, could do to affect audio quality globally on the device. I know TouchPads (running webOS 3.x) have had audio issues that have been well documented in the forums. HP modified the audio drivers in 3.0.5 to work around one of the issues. I wouldn't be surprised if 2.x had similar issues.
    I didn't think your app did, but I didn't know if there were any files that were global that your app impacted. For me, my stuttering started somewhere in early to mid-January, so I'm trying to think of anything that could have changed to make my Pre 2 start doing this. I can't imagine why this would just start happening of a sudden.

BTW, I really enjoy you app, especially the exhibition mode controls. Just wish I could figure out why the audio is doing this because it's hard to enjoy music when it randomly starts stuttering.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Have any of you that are experiencing audio stuttering visited the Doctor to try and resolve this issue?
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Quote Originally Posted by noseph View Post
    Have any of you that are experiencing audio stuttering visited the Doctor to try and resolve this issue?
    Not yet. I would prefer not going that route as it is a pain in the rear to put all the stuff back, but it's something I will do if someone doesn't find an answer for the problem.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Not yet. I would prefer not going that route as it is a pain in the rear to put all the stuff back, but it's something I will do if someone doesn't find an answer for the problem.
    I had this problem as well and had posted in the Music Player (Remix) thread as well.

Based on the feedback I got there and some further forum research, it sounded like there was a problem with the hardware in my headphone jack. I tried removing patches and things that were installed via preware and this had no effect. So I wound up filing a warranty claim and getting a new Pre 2 shipped from my provider.

HOWEVER...

When I doctored the old Pre 2 to remove the preware etc. and get it ready to ship back I found that the problem was gone. I listend to music for 8 hours straight (using the fantastic Music Player (Remix) app I might add) while snowboarding yesterday and didn't have one stutter/lag/skip incident.

So, try doctoring your phones and see if this fixes the stutter/lag/skip issue. It worked for me.

Only problem now is... do I send a fully functioning old Pre 2 back to them or the new one I just got in the mail.

I'm going to install preware this weekend and patches / apps one at a time to try and determine what exactly is causing this.
    Last edited by arasarn; 02/10/2012 at 03:28 PM.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arasarn View Post
    I had this problem as well and had posted in the Music Player (Remix) thread as well.

Based on the feedback I got there and some further forum research, it sounded like there was a problem with the hardware in my headphone jack. I tried removing patches and things that were installed via preware and this had no effect. So I wound up filing a warranty claim and getting a new Pre 2 shipped from my provider.

HOWEVER...

When I doctored the old Pre 2 to remove the preware etc. and get it ready to ship back I found that the problem was gone. I listend to music for 8 hours straight (using the fantastic Music Player (Remix) app I might add) while snowboarding yesterday and didn't have one stutter/lag/skip incident.

So, try doctoring your phones and see if this fixes the stutter/lag/skip issue. It worked for me.

Only problem now is... do I send a fully functioning old Pre 2 back to them or the new one I just got in the mail.

I'm going to install preware this weekend and patches / apps one at a time to try and determine what exactly is causing this.
    Very interested in what you find out reinstalling patches...I'll be looking forward to your report
    Ideally, I would like to see if someone finds the actual offending file/patch/app (whatever it is) and see if we can fix our phones without a doctor. If I didn't have a bunch of stuff installed, it wouldn't be a big deal to doctor, but the last time I did it, even with Save/Restore, I lost some stuff. Not something I, or anyone else, wants to do if we can find a quick easy way to fix it.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    I saw giggles post on this, and have been wondering if this is kernel related?

I use F105A and do get occasional stutter when playing over bluetooth. I've been wondering if it's because the kernel governor that i'm using (SSv3) is causing issues.

Anyone having the problem that is using a stock kernel?
    Im using the latest ubk 2.2.4 and have switched diff profiles. But for now it seems the music isnt skipping anymore. lol?
  19.    #19  
    I doctored a few months back. Had the same problem. The caveat there, was, I had installed Maps/Enyo & Preware as soon as the thing had turned back on.

I decided to doctor again, yesterday. Beyond doctoring, and logging into my palm profile, no additional customization has been done. Since that point, I have had consistently skip-free music.

I am going to update Maps now. I will test for about an hour, and then report back. If Maps is not the culprit, I will move on to "aesthetic" patches (top-bar, browser, e-mail), and continue this until I either hit the skips, or until I'm fully stocked.

20.    #20  
    Music playback continuous, without skipping/stuttering since updating the Maps. The Enyo backdoor is not the problem.

Installing Preware now. Will update...

Have installed the following "Aesthetic" Patches:
    - Preware
    - Gnu Patch
    - LSdiff
    - Block G-Mail low res contacts
    - Email: Hold/Tap Context Menu
    - Email: Save Attachments to Downloads
    - Browser: Hold/Tap Context Menu
    - Browser: New Card Button
    - Top Bar: Date As Carrier String
    - Top Bar: Ringer Switch Icon
    - Top Bar: Battery Percent Horizontal

Will update with developments. If no skipping / stuttering occurs, I will move on to significant patches/kernels
    Last edited by LocalH210; 06/21/2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: To include list of installed patches.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast