Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bbito
    Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts
    Okay, I know there are various threads on this forum that address this subject, but I can't seem to find the answer to my specific question/situation. Here's the story:

I bought a VZW Palm Pre 2 on eBay late last week (from a nice lady who is the mother of a former Palm/HP employee) and received the phone today. Despite the seller's comments in response to comments I made about Wi-Fi only use in post-sale e-mail correspondence, I was surprised when I tried to use the Pre 2 that I had to activate a line to "access" the phone. I did call Verizon and explained the situation but they would not activate the line unless I added a line or switched a line. So is there a way for me to get Wi-Fi access on the Pre 2 without activating the line? A few other key points/questions:

1) I DO want to have the option of using the Pre 2 as a phone; I figured I'd do that for at least a few weeks at some point in the future but I didn't want to do that right away.

2) If I activate the Pre 2 (either through adding a line or swapping a smartphone on an existing line) and then later deactivate it, could I use the Pre 2 as a Wi-Fi only device after I deactivate the phone/cancel the line?

3) A Verizon Wireless rather than Palm Pre 2 or webOS question - if I activate a line and then discontinue it within what would be the return window period (15 days) for a smartphone bought at a subsidized price, would I have to pay any fees at all? If not, would the only fee I'd have to pay be the line activation fee (plus the $10 added line cost either in full or a pro-rated amount and also a pro-rated amount for the cellular data - the phone/line would be added as part of a family plan)?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

P.S. I guess I now understand what people meant when they complained about being required to have a data plan with Palm smartphones - people weren't complaining about the data plans per say, they were complaining about not having Wi-Fi access without also being locked into a plan on a smartphone they bought off-contract. I can't believe that Palm would have smartphones that couldn't be treated as iPod Touch-like devices by the owner if so chosen by the owner. Just had to get that minor rant out.

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303
    I can only address using the Pre2 without activation, perhaps others can help with your other questions.
    Here's what I did with a non-activated VZW Pre2
    1) Start phone
    2) Choose and confirm language
    3) Tap "make emergency call" and delete 911
    4) enter: ##DEVMODE# (CDMA) or #*DEVMODE# (GSM)
    5) turn on devmode
    6) restart
    -Works great!
    Solution found on developer's forum:
    Bypass activation on Palm Pre 2
    hf199 likes this.
    I treat mine as an iPod touch-like device, works great, other than an erratic Palm Profile
    Impostah is a nice app for creating a PP.

^what he said above is to bypass activation.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    I can only address using the Pre2 without activation, perhaps others can help with your other questions.
    1) Start phone
    5) turn on devmode
    6) restart
    -Works great!
    Thanks for the directions - they worked!

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts
    Okay, a couple of follow-up questions:

1) I'm checking for operating system version updates and it continuously says "Checking for updates..." Is this normal?

2) When I went into the App Catalog to check the available apps, it couldn't find any apps/wouldn't load. Is this normal?

NOTE: I did change the connection to Wi-Fi. (I forgot to do that initially.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: To answer my own questions above, it looks like the answers are yes (no OS updates while in developer mode) and yes (no access to App Catalog in developer mode).

(Shakes head in disgust and bewilderment at unique limitation of webOS smartphones.)
    Last edited by CHIP72; 12/21/2011 at 10:28 PM.

Other notable devices:
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
    Okay, a couple of follow-up questions:

1) I'm checking for operating system version updates and it continuously says "Checking for updates..." Is this normal?

2) When I went into the App Catalog to check the available apps, it couldn't find any apps/wouldn't load. Is this normal?

NOTE: I did change the connection to Wi-Fi. (I forgot to do that initially.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: To answer my own questions above, it looks like the answers are yes (no OS updates while in developer mode) and yes (no access to App Catalog in developer mode).

(Shakes head in disgust and bewilderment at unique limitation of webOS smartphones.)
    I'll try to correct you. No OS updates and no access to the app catalog are due to the fact that you have no cellular service and therefore no HP/Palm profile. It has nothing to do with developer mode being on. I've always left dev mode on and have no problems accessing those things w/ cellular service of course.
    The problem with using the ##DEVMODE# bypass is that you end up with the Dr. Skippedfirstuse profile and no app catalog access. From there, you can use the Impostah (installed from Preware) activation screen to create a new profile and, I think, get App Catalog Access. But I don't think you can use the profile screen to actually delete the Dr. Skippedfirstuse profile - which causes problems.

I'm using my old VZW Pre Plus as a wireless only 'Skype Phone', and and have full access to the App Catalog and no Dr. Skippedfirstuse profile, but it requires Doctoring the phone with a Meta-Doctor that is built using the -wifi-only switch. Then you can use Impostah to activate or create a new profile on the phone. It requires using Linux (you can use VirtualBox on a Windows Machine to install Linux) to build the Meta-Doctor file - but once built, the Doctor can be installed to the phone from Windows or Mac. It might be more involved than you care to pursue, but probably worth it. It's also worth noting that, in order to use the phone as a cell phone again, you'd have to Doctor it again. I'd be happy to give further information if you want to try it out.
    Last edited by kayphoonstar; 01/01/2012 at 02:42 PM.
    Use the app Impostah to enable the App Catalog and Palm Profile/OTA updates
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts
    I appreciate the responses above. I put the Pre 2 on an active phone line earlier today to test it out this weekend, upload my TouchPad apps, and update the OS to webOS 2.1.

One more follow-up question - when I disconnect the Pre 2 from the phone line and go back to Wi-Fi only use, will I have access to the App Catalog or the downloaded apps or do I need to have the phone on an active phone line to get access? I get the sense from some of the responses above that I may have access to previously-downloaded apps but I wouldn't have access to the App Catalog, unless I want to doctor the phone. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Other notable devices:
    I don't *think* you should have any problems unless you try to log into your HP profile w/another webOS phone. You can use the advanced system preferences patch and mode switcher app in preware to always make sure that your phone and data (not WiFi) are always disabled but I'm not sure if that's really necessary.
    I have an old Palm Pre 2 that I would like to use in wifi only mode.
    I turned it on and went to make an emergency call, deleted the 911.
    How do I type in letters instead of numbers? ##DEVMODE#
    I typed in the corresponding numbers on the number pad, but that didn't work.

The Palm Pre 2 is a Verizon CDMA phone.

I have a Palm Pre 3 now, but not for long. I'm going to get an iphone 4s.
    My Palm Pre 3 is less than a month old! I lost my free 5GB hotspot when I went from the Pre 2 to the 3, so that was a Palm Pre killer for me.

Thanks,

Chris
    For 2.x it changed from ## to #*

So: #*3386633# (#*DEVMODE#)
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    I tried #*3386633# (#*DEVMODE#) and that didn't work.
    I'm not giving up yet on making my old Palm Pre CDMA into a wifi device.

Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    For 2.x it changed from ## to #*

So: #*3386633# (#*DEVMODE#)
    For cdma phones, I am pretty sure it starts with ##, not #*. Been a while since I had to do it.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    718 Global Posts
    I would like to know too. I just got a pre 3 and my pre 2 is just sitting around. I would love to use as a wi-fi device.
    Global Posts
    718 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    1) Start phone
    5) turn on devmode
    6) restart
    -Works great!
    it worked!
    Global Posts
    718 Global Posts
    what can the phone do, other than email, web browser. Can access the catalog?