Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Am waiting for to test Skype until someone gets off work. SMS lag seems to have gone--crossing my fingers.
    It's not gone.

Skype works globally now and is no longer exclusive to Verizon.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Well Merry Christmas! Thanks, OP, for mentioning this, I had no idea. Checked and also have an OTA available to 2.2.4. Super excited... have a friend that moved to the UK and would love Skype integration so I'm not tied to my laptop when we talk.

Running a Sprint FrankenPre 2 from a VZW Pre 2 donor with webOS 2.1.0 built by Metadoctor. For me I believe it said the update to 2.2.4 clocks in at 46 MB.

What I'm doing before installing update:

1) Save/restored Preware and Govnah.
    2) Removed custom kernel (used for power management).
    3) Run EPR.
    a) Realize I've somehow never used EPR before and now see I probably didn't need to save/restore Preware to backup patches.
    b) Verify patches are gone from Preware.
    4) Perform OTA.
    5) Realize all of my apps are gone... Okay, that's a problem. It seems I can still reinstall them from app catalog manually at no extra charge, but no self-chosen apps appear in the launcher at the moment. (Yes, that includes Sprint Nav.) Mobile hotspot is there now, though (?).
    . 5a) Reboot device to see if apps come back.
    . 5b) Um... Tux isn't there when I reboot. It's HP logo again.
    . 5d) And no, apps didn't restore (?). None. Preware or otherwise. All gone.
    . 5e) User partition is still there and intact.
    6) Look at restoring the rest tomorrow. Everything else (contacts, phone, etc) seems okay to get through the day.

What. Is. Up. With. That? No apps in the launcher [besides pre-installed]? None?! Has everyone been needing to manually reinstall everything? No esta bien.

Skype test call works, at least.

Ah well. This AND Smart Office is 50% off today! Santa came early, kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    From what I understood, skype only worked over verizons network (wasn't working as VOIP). If it works over sprint that'd be..... Interesting?
    You are confusing the skype apps... The verizon skype app that launched with the pre 2 was an app that allowed you to call only skype users over the verizon VOICE network.

This new skype is integrated into synergy and is the same skype we have had on the touchpad and pre 3. It allows you to call skype users and phone numbers with skype via the DATA network with VOIP.
    So, did Palm just go out of their way to make the HACKED pre 2's update? Wow. That's some awesomeness.
    Anyone have a decent estimate on how long it took while on the "Installing Update" page. Mine has been sitting for a good 10 mins. Previous updates I don't recall taking this long.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by professionalbum View Post
    Anyone have a decent estimate on how long it took while on the "Installing Update" page. Mine has been sitting for a good 10 mins. Previous updates I don't recall taking this long.
    Took 20-30 minutes, I don't recall exactly. Yes the previous updates did take a long time but they've been so long ago that I barely remember.

I did get all my apps, strange that one person did not. Palm told me they are stored separately in the profile from the data such as email settings. I did not have to enter in any new email settings.

Skype test call works.

Had almost unusable lag since I got the phone, ripple would stay on the phone for 2 seconds whenever I pressed a button (I kept the backup on but HP tech told me it was failing to complete). All the lag is gone now on a stock kernel unpatched Pre2. Backup has restored several times nicely. Text messages are fine, no lag for me.

If this continues, I might go back to contacts being stored on my Palm profile, rather than Google. Google will not get my vote until they fix gmail in the browser on the TouchPad which is horrible.

Happy Holidays Open Source Palm!
    It finally did finish and is running wonderfully. I'm excited for the SMS pairing with my Touchpad. That and the ability to call from my Touchpad were things I was most excited about last Feb. *sigh*
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    You are confusing the skype apps... The verizon skype app that launched with the pre 2 was an app that allowed you to call only skype users over the verizon VOICE network.

This new skype is integrated into synergy and is the same skype we have had on the touchpad and pre 3. It allows you to call skype users and phone numbers with skype via the DATA network with VOIP.
    Oh, wow, cool!

So now I'm curious.... Does this mean the skype is an ipk that can be ripped out of the 2.2.4 update doctor or does it mean skype is integrated into the patch un-rippable. Main reason I'm asking is I still have my old pre- now that I've frankenpre'ed, it's running 2.1.0 using the GSM board (just set for wifi-only, intend to use it like an ipod touch basically). If I could somehow cram skype on there and be able to make data-only wifi phone calls that might be interesting .
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    I am wanting to install it just because im sick of looking at the icon that you cant dismiss....I just want to install it, but dont want any issues w/ my patches not working or missing and overclocking...
    kataran likes this.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanCell View Post
    I am wanting to install it just because im sick of looking at the icon that you cant dismiss....I just want to install it, but dont want any issues w/ my patches not working or missing and overclocking...
    Wait 24 hours and see what develops. A bunch of 2.2.4 patches just got sent to the feeds but I don't know if they are for Pre2. I, myself, am waiting. The phone works fine now, even as stock.
    kataran likes this.
    So I feel like I'm missing something newb here, but has no one else had trouble with all of their post-installed apps disappearing after the update?
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Im waiting this out... I rather have all my patches working and not have to manually reinstall stuff... *sigh* So do I really need to remove all my patches and kernels?
    can someone comfirm they got an OTA update on there verizon sprintified pre2?
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    an issue thread by internals just opened up
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
  15.    #35  
    youtube app shows web so must be taking one to the webpage.

On the other hand, searching seems much better and video itself opens full screen in another card, can touch bottom of card and the controls appear.
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    So, did Palm just go out of their way to make the HACKED pre 2's update? Wow. That's some awesomeness.
    Not really. FrankenPre2's report themselves as WR (unlocked) Pre2's so they were included in the update, but you never know. There could be more to it than that.

Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Oh, wow, cool!

So now I'm curious.... Does this mean the skype is an ipk that can be ripped out of the 2.2.4 update doctor or does it mean skype is integrated into the patch un-rippable. Main reason I'm asking is I still have my old pre- now that I've frankenpre'ed, it's running 2.1.0 using the GSM board (just set for wifi-only, intend to use it like an ipod touch basically). If I could somehow cram skype on there and be able to make data-only wifi phone calls that might be interesting .
    NuttyBunny over in the #webos-internals chatroom got 2.1.0 to Skype message (using the 2.2.4 doctor files), but calling with Skype was out of question. He even got the synergy to work as well.

18.    #38  
    HP tech told me some months prior that there would be no OTA for Sprint Pre2 and backups were disabled as the phone was unofficial. Now the backup seems to be working fine.
    Verizon to Sprint FrankenPre 2, got the OTA update yesterday. Ran EPR before updating. Ran backups. Left UberKernel installed.

I did have to restart the downloading and unpacking stages a few times, but once it got to the verify stage the rest went smoothly.

Retained all of my apps and data. Reinstalling the default kernel from Preware removed the UberKernel icon from the launcher. (btw, TouchPad auto correct turns "UberKernel" to "UndeSirable". It's been reeducated)

Tweaks still shows all of the tweaks I had in 2.1.0, which is irritating. Dunno yet if it's harmful. UberCalendar will not install, haven't gotten over to that thread for assistance yet. I'm going to EPR, uninstall Tweaks and start over with patches. Will report back.

Went to my TouchPad and paired with the phone. SMS from the TP now works. Funny: test text messages I'd tried to send in the past all delivered (or at least synced with the phone. Will have to ask my husband if they delivered).

That's all for now.

Oh yes- must remember to make donations
  20.    #40  
    ubercalendar the one patch I had forgotten to uninstall before update. I too had problems with updating right after.
    Found EPR (in "other category" for Linux I think) and ran it. Ubercalendar now installed properly.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast