Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Need some help with the FrankenPre (Sprint Pre 2) software side. I can manage the hardware no problem, but I have almost no experience when it comes to programming, linux or anything like that. The webos 2.x upgrade directions on webosinternals seem a bit scary for someone who has never messed with anything like that. Is it really that easy to figure out if you have no idea what you are doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bru3184 View Post
    Need some help with the FrankenPre (Sprint Pre 2) software side. I can manage the hardware no problem, but I have almost no experience when it comes to programming, linux or anything like that. The webos 2.x upgrade directions on webosinternals seem a bit scary for someone who has never messed with anything like that. Is it really that easy to figure out if you have no idea what you are doing?
    Yes, it really is that easy. Just follow the instructions and the links. The dual boot is quite handy. If you get stuck you will get help here from folks like myself and many others. I've heard the regular old Verizon 2.1 Dr will work, but I've never tried it myself. The part about PRL's is avalaible here: Giggles condensed it into this thread for you: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre-2/299689-sprint-prl.html Good luck!
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    ok, so if the process has already been done and is being redone again I know I need to swap the comms board back to activate it with sprint, but do I need to redoctor to 1.4.5 then activate the sprint pre- then swap comms boards back again, then metadoctor to 2.1?
    Last edited by Bru3184; 12/17/2011 at 04:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    even though I hate to admit it, I'm in over my head I believe. If there is anybody in the dc/metro area that could help me out it would be very much appreciated. I'm in Loudoun County VA.
    its not too bad man, don't freak out. i had some issues with mine and it can be frustrating but if you have a little patients things will work out. first off, i did have to switch my comm board back to the original palm pre and redoctor to webos 1.4.5 on the pre and activate it again, then i just switched the comm boards again to the pre 2 and i was good to go. Keep in mind that i had to doctor this about 5 times to get everything functioning correctly. just have a little patients. you are not going to break anything. pretty much no matter what happens it can be fixed. so what part are you on exactly, and i will try and walk you through it.
    Sprint Franken Pre 2 with webOS 2.2.4

There are plenty of people to help out on these forums as well as over at #webos-internals. Smcbeaven is right.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    well I have 2 other pre's to play with so I've successfully swapped comms boards at least a dozen times. I keep getting a permissions error when trying to install ubuntu 11.10 from a cd or direct using wubi installer. So I'm stuck @ metadoctor set up. Is there another interface I can download that will do the same thing? I haven't tried putting my disc in my laptop yet, but it runs xp....I'll try that tonight and see what happens. (my desktop is vista ultimate)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bru3184 View Post
    well I have 2 other pre's to play with so I've successfully swapped comms boards at least a dozen times. I keep getting a permissions error when trying to install ubuntu 11.10 from a cd or direct using wubi installer. So I'm stuck @ metadoctor set up. Is there another interface I can download that will do the same thing? I haven't tried putting my disc in my laptop yet, but it runs xp....I'll try that tonight and see what happens. (my desktop is vista ultimate)
    Is your hardware done?

If so.... Hell, I'll pm you.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    got the PM, I'll try it when I get home, since it is an AT&T 2. Thanks for the help guys! Love these forums!
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the help guys, and thanks to ncinerate for his help with the doctor. Got the frankenpre2 working tonight! Haven't done the prl stuff, but it makes calls, connects to the internet and seems to be working great on 2.1!
    Glad I could help.

Check your Pre in device info, it might already be updated if you did the update before the whole swap over.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html