Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    How was no one mentioned that the new YouTube app is waaaay better than the old one? The messaging app now has a time stamp when you open the context menu (tap on a message). In addition, the skype integration and mobile hotspot.

I love the update personally.
    I am, therefore I think
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbrad2 View Post
    Ok, I've read through pages and pages of comments about this latest update and have yet to see someone say anything positive about it (except for the obvious touchpad SMS integration and Skype). I'm guessing then its not recommended to update?

From all I read, it's pure crap filled with webkit font problems, fuzzy icons, lag and horrible battery life. The phone app sucks and there were no bug fixes for some of the most glaring problems with 2.1 (voice dialing is still broken and SMS can still take up to 8 seconds to send)

The most important thing for me is the fact that Google Calendar syncs better than before.
    There are some problems with the update, but they are minor ones. I mean they are a bit annoying, but nothing that should you made avoid the update.

For me these ones are:
    1) Screen turning on by itself when the phone is locked (not always, but it happens) and also not turning off with the power off.
    2) Fuzzy icons and contact pictures appearing and disappearing.
    3) Some patches not working (although the majority has been updated).
    4) Phone app looking really ugly. Although as I said, it loads instantly in my case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    4) Phone app looking really ugly. Although as I said, it loads instantly in my case.
    I've read that already. I can't see a difference to old version. How does it look like?
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    How was no one mentioned that the new YouTube app is waaaay better than the old one? The messaging app now has a time stamp when you open the context menu (tap on a message). In addition, the skype integration and mobile hotspot.

I love the update personally.
    Pre 3 German.. Still don't have default YouTube app even after update
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    My messages no longer play a sound or notify me in anyway when i get a new message. Anyone know how to fix this?
    Very limited testing but few things to notice:
    Copying shows an icon for the application from which the text was copied in the notification area. My screen didn't wake up when the phone was on TS in exhibition mode and have turned my screen off and received some emails. Other than that I guess I'll need more time to play so far Navit doesn't seem to work - have to visit that thread I guess.
    The update is working great on my Sprint FrankenPre2. Phone app looks and works great, too. No problems to report, really. I had to reinstall Sprint Nav, but no big deal. I haven't lost any data at all.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    I've read that already. I can't see a difference to old version. How does it look like?
    The font size changed in favourites for example. Smaller and a bit fuzzy letters and numbers.
    Also when I get call the contact picture and the phone number is very small.

I also keep having problems with contact pictures appearing and disappearing. Anyone else with this problem?
    Upgraded to 2.2.4 today Unlocked NA model, Got mobile hostspot,Youtube app moved from extras to application launcher.Phone app looks a bit shiny and it is not as smooth as it was in 2.1.Skype works well.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Anyone having power consumption issues after 2.2.4 update with their Pre 3? My power consumption has increased almost ten fold. These were taken at idle with screen off.
    The power consumption on my Pre3 got better.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoRn View Post
    Very limited testing but few things to notice:
    Copying shows an icon for the application from which the text was copied in the notification area.
    This is/was standard.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Updated on Verizon Franken Pre 2, everything works great.
    My impressions. Phone (Pre 2 North American) seems more laggy. Again, after blocking screen sometimes turn on, sometimes one call stuck forever untill you reboot. No russian layout for keyboard. Preware often starts with troubles. But!!! I have some big pluses! had some troubles with microphone. My voice was distorted. Now it's gone. I also have skype & that's fantastic. Battery life isn't affected & that's good!
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Its incredible (and not in a good way) that with all the bugs that webos 2.x has, this update was not a massive bug fix. In fact, why hasn't any update since 2.x was released been a massive bug fix? Why has no work been done to optimize the OS for any sort of speed and battery life improvements? Why keep adding all these new "features" if they just create more and more bugs.... that don't ever seem to be fixed???

For example:
    -Google chat still logs off and doesn't automatically log back in if I lose connection (this one is big).
    -Notifications with apostrophes or other "unique" punctuation in the text get replaced by the ASCII value (like &nsp or something like that).
    -My alarms still mysteriously disappear in the right circumstances (I can't figure out exact steps to reproduce, I just know that sometimes if I dismiss or back swipe an alarm to shut it off, it disappears from the alarm list completely).
    -Bing maps still won't let me swipe back out of a menu.
    -Google's website menu bar (images, news, etc...) is all black and discolored (looked fine in 1.4.5 Web app).
    -When I try to reorder Just Type launch and search entries, they jump back to where they were originally, and if I do too much of this, they all disappear.
    -No more lock screen (swipe up to unlock). When I press the power button, it just goes straight to my pin code unlock screen, bypassing the unlock swipe screen with notifications and clock completely. (I realized this last one only happens when the phone is plugged in to the charger... but I don't remember this happening before, although I could be wrong. Is no lock screen expected when plugged in?)

And now I have to deal with a phone app that is FAR worse than the previous version. Do they not have a QA team? Do they even run these updates past the QA team? Maybe HP fired the QA team...

I just don't understand the logic behind the work that is being done at HP. The priorities seem completely out of whack. The only bug that was fixed it seems in this latest update is the Google sync issue. But now a whole new slew of bugs are introduced, and the annoying attention-to-detail bugs that are visible right in front of the user just are not even addressed. Makes no sense, and is ridiculously frustrating. Does anyone at HP actually use a webos device? Why is there no easy way to submit bugs? Of any OS out there, webos needs this! I'm beginning to like the idea of using webos more than actually using webos.

Whatever, not like it matters, things won't change until they fully open source everything and people who don't work for HP are doing all the fixing for them, which won't be for a number of years. Guess we'll see whose still around by then.
    Last edited by zemoffm; 12/24/2011 at 04:46 PM.
    RfromR likes this.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by silentmeloud View Post
    My impressions. Phone (Pre 2 North American) seems more laggy. Again, after blocking screen sometimes turn on, sometimes one call stuck forever untill you reboot. No russian layout for keyboard. Preware often starts with troubles. But!!! I have some big pluses! had some troubles with microphone. My voice was distorted. Now it's gone. I also have skype & that's fantastic. Battery life isn't affected & that's good!

The layout works. You just have to re-install it.
    I just noticed something.
    It seems the keyboard brightness has been inverted in relation to the display brightness!
    All I can say is this:

Praise the Pre 2 after a few days since the update

My Pre 2 is a beast and it runs so well. I won't need another phone for a year or two.

The things that don't work:

WLan Hotspot connects and then disconnects.

The phone doesn't lock after the setting is due on the Touchstone.

‹bercalender isn't installable.

I have to check if there is more.

But the phone itself is snappy like an aligator.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Ubercalendar works. You just have to remove it first and then use the latest patch.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Hi any news on getting sprint tv to work on 2.2.4?
    Thanks!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Anyone having power consumption issues after 2.2.4 update with their Pre 3? My power consumption has increased almost ten fold. These were taken at idle with screen off.
    Yes! I have an unlocked NA Pre3 and it is losing 10% per hour even when it is just sitting in standby mode. I have restarted device multiple times and have uninstall the last few patches installed all to no avail......Very frustrating.

How can I uninstall the update? I presume I need to doctor the device using 2.2.3 from the webosinternals page?

Cheers.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast