1.    #1  
    I have a Pre+ on VZW and it works well but I would like to upgrade to Pre2. The #1 feature on the Pre+ is free MHS. I tether to my Touchpad 8 hours a day when at work. If I get the Pre2 can I transplant the Comm board and thus still get free MHS? Is there any other loss of functionality when I do this? Will I have to run WebOS Dr?

Any pointeres would be helpful.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    You can FrankenPre your phone. However, I suggest you just get a Verizon Pre2 on its own. Also, go with freetether as your MHS app. It's quite awesome.
    Devices
    -Sprint Pre & FrankenPre 2
    -AT&T Pre3 4G
    Accessories
    -5 Touchstones for phones & Touchpad
    Interesting question. I have a VZW Pre+ with a 150mb data plan. The free MHS is nice. If i upgraded to a Pre2 i'd lose the 150MB plan though since they eliminated it. That means that freetether would be the way to go, and just share my plan.

Sorry to say i can't answer your question about how verizon would see your phone, and if MHS would still be free or not.
  4.    #4  
    I use about 3gb of MHS data per month. I am concerned that with Free Tehter I would get 'caught' and would have to pay an additional hotspot fee.

Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    You can FrankenPre your phone. However, I suggest you just get a Verizon Pre2 on its own. Also, go with freetether as your MHS app. It's quite awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    Interesting question. I have a VZW Pre+ with a 150mb data plan. The free MHS is nice. If i upgraded to a Pre2 i'd lose the 150MB plan though since they eliminated it. That means that freetether would be the way to go, and just share my plan.

Sorry to say i can't answer your question about how verizon would see your phone, and if MHS would still be free or not.

I upgraded from a Pixi Plus to a Pre 2 last month and kept the 150MB data plan. There was the option of increasing data but no requirement to do so.
    If you do a comm board swap, I believe that your free MHS should remain on your account since you are not otherwise changing anything with the account on Verizon's end anyway.

However, whether or not there is a Verizon MHS app on the Pre2 that you get (probably), and whether or not that will work right (probably), could be a different story.

Either way, freetether will work too and is a nicer app anyway, and as long you don't exceed the amount of data you are normally allowed to use under your free MHS option anyway, you won't have any problems.
  7.    #7  
    Today my account shows 'Data Usage' and MHS usage. If I move to a pre2 without the Comm Board swap can I still use Free Tether without adding Mobile Hot Spot to my account? At what point would I potentially be charged...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    If you do a comm board swap, I believe that your free MHS should remain on your account since you are not otherwise changing anything with the account on Verizon's end anyway.

However, whether or not there is a Verizon MHS app on the Pre2 that you get (probably), and whether or not that will work right (probably), could be a different story.

Either way, freetether will work too and is a nicer app anyway, and as long you don't exceed the amount of data you are normally allowed to use under your free MHS option anyway, you won't have any problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
    Today my account shows 'Data Usage' and MHS usage. If I move to a pre2 without the Comm Board swap can I still use Free Tether without adding Mobile Hot Spot to my account? At what point would I potentially be charged...

Thanks
    Interesting. I wasn't aware that the data usages shows up differently in your account. My guess is that when you use the MHS app, the app itself actively makes Verizon aware that your phone is currently tethering, for them to keep track.

The short answer to your first question is yes. By using freetether, your tethered data usage really shouldn't appear any differently to Verizon than it does when you're not tethered, so it should just show up under the general 'Data Usage' part of your account instead.

*Note that I'm not a Verizon user myself, so I can't vouch for what their exact limits are for things or how strict they are about them.

Generally though, you'll be ok with most carriers if you keep your data usage to about 2GB per month. If they've already been ok with 3GB through your free MHS up until now, then the same amount of usage, just allocated instead through your regular 'Data Usage' probably won't bother them (especially if you still have free MHS tethering as part of your plan since they expect higher overall data usage from you then anyway).
    Last edited by sq5; 12/15/2011 at 06:33 PM.