webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > 2.2.4 for the VZW Pre 2?
2.2.4 for the VZW Pre 2?
Like Tree4Likes

Old 12/14/2011, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

is there a meta-doctor for the vzw pre 2 yet? I am really eager to update my phone to the latest and greatest.
fuzzy gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Will there be an OTA for Verizon? I've never done a metadoctor.
JJCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 07:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

I highly doubt it. We saw how long it took to get the 2.1 update. Verizon takes forever to release updates.
Old 12/14/2011, 08:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm comfortable with preware and patches. I the restrictor process pretty straightforward?
JJCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 09:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm definitely hoping for a VZW 2.2.4 doctor from webosinternals.org for my Pre 2!
kayphoonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 09:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
webOS Enthusiast

I highly doubt Verizon will release the 2.2.4 anytime soon (if at all...). I am pretty sure webOS-Internals will release the meta-doctor script for a Verizon 2.2.4 doctor soon.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
Abyssul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2011, 12:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
webOS Enthusiast

If you have alpha feeds enabled, you could test the Verizon-based Meta doctor script that I made for 2.2.4. Its intention is for Sprint frankenPre2s, but it should work with a regular Verizon as well.

If it's not there, here is a link. If you have to ask how to use it, then don't even bother.
Verizon FrankenPre2 for Sprint (and maybe regular Verizon Pre2):
http://www.mediafire.com/?17j89jvynjqjs62

Unlocked FrankenPre2 for Sprint:
http://www.mediafire.com/?1y5esdpkejct21v

If you downloaded the script before 2:20 PM (eastern), please redownload as this version includes Skype (hopefully). Note this is alpha stuff.

Edit (again): Verizon script failed. This new one works. Use this or one in git.

Twitter

Last edited by Abyssul; 12/15/2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12/15/2011, 02:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Look on page 213 of the how-install-webos-2-1-0-pre-pre-using-meta-doctor I created two scripts (the test script is now also part of the meta doctor process), this will meta-doctor your device to 2.2.4, however, I also created a getbt script to extract the BlueTooth files from the 2.2.4 doctor and one can copy over to Pre+ and Pre2 (both running WebOS 2.1.0) and MAP works with touchpad...
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: capt4chris
Old 12/15/2011, 02:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

so who's going to be the brave alpha testers?
Old 12/15/2011, 06:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have tested BlueTooth transformation and it works great, staying on WebOS 2.1.0 until all patches are converted. But nice to see a PRE+ and PRE2 MAP with the touchpad...

Kind of weird how it records all of the conversation on both devices, but neat.

Besides the features of WebOS is 2.2.4 is there anything else that would be useful to port back to 2.1.0?

I have heard a few have tested my Verizon Script but no one has posted success or failures... Would like to know if anyone has tested them and if there are any issues...

Also want to know if there is anything that could be added to the 2.2.4 to make it better?
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2011, 07:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
webOS Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
I have tested BlueTooth transformation and it works great, staying on WebOS 2.1.0 until all patches are converted. But nice to see a PRE+ and PRE2 MAP with the touchpad...

Kind of weird how it records all of the conversation on both devices, but neat.

Besides the features of WebOS is 2.2.4 is there anything else that would be useful to port back to 2.1.0?

I have heard a few have tested my Verizon Script but no one has posted success or failures... Would like to know if anyone has tested them and if there are any issues...

Also want to know if there is anything that could be added to the 2.2.4 to make it better?
Added to 2.2.4? My only gripe is the dashboard icon size. Refer to:
[Patch Requests]Bug fix for out-of-scale notification icons on 2.2.4

Thanked By: b_losey
Old 12/15/2011, 08:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

it would be really nice if someone made a video of how to do it for us n00bs. I know I could figure it out after doing some searching but I have been really busy lately and I don't have time to figure it all out by myself. I mean I'm not a complete ***** but I've never done it before. I know a lot of people would benefit from it.
Old 12/15/2011, 09:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Gizmo View Post
it would be really nice if someone made a video of how to do it for us n00bs. I know I could figure it out after doing some searching but I have been really busy lately and I don't have time to figure it all out by myself. I mean I'm not a complete ***** but I've never done it before. I know a lot of people would benefit from it.
I assume that because this is still in alpha, they won't be doing that ATM. Once it is determined a stable alternative Rod will add instructions to the meta-doctor page..

Those capable of alpha testing things like this already know how to do it.
wbussing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2011, 10:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

alright. I figured out how to use the meta-doctor. I installed everything and everything went smoothly... no problems. I just have two questions. When I chose the scripts, I chose the test-verizon-2.2.4 one.. which I'm guessing would be the one... but what confused me is after i selected it, it said this:

o@ubuntu:~/meta-doctor$ ./scripts/test-verizon-pre2-2.2.4
DEVICE = pre2
CARRIER = wr
VERSION = 2.2.4
ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE = 1
DISABLE_UPLOAD_DAEMON = 1
DISABLE_UPDATE_DAEMON = 0
CUSTOM_WEBOS_TARBALL = webOS.tar
CUSTOM_CARRIER_TARBALL = carrier.tar
CUSTOM_MODEL_CHECK = P102EWW
CUSTOM_CARRIER_CHECK = Verizon
CUSTOM_BOOTLOGO = scripts/WebOS-Internals.tga

Why does it say the carrier is wr? I don't really care for that answer so much but am I doing the right thing? My overall goal is getting 2.2.4 on a Verizon Pre 2. At the bottom of this is says the custom carrier is verizon.

I'm just making sure. Like i said, this is my first time.
Old 12/16/2011, 11:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
webOS Enthusiast

Quote:
alright. I figured out how to use the meta-doctor. I installed everything and everything went smoothly... no problems. I just have two questions. When I chose the scripts, I chose the test-verizon-2.2.4 one.. which I'm guessing would be the one... but what confused me is after i selected it, it said this:

o@ubuntu:~/meta-doctor$ ./scripts/test-verizon-pre2-2.2.4
DEVICE = pre2
CARRIER = wr
VERSION = 2.2.4
ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE = 1
DISABLE_UPLOAD_DAEMON = 1
DISABLE_UPDATE_DAEMON = 0
CUSTOM_WEBOS_TARBALL = webOS.tar
CUSTOM_CARRIER_TARBALL = carrier.tar
CUSTOM_MODEL_CHECK = P102EWW
CUSTOM_CARRIER_CHECK = Verizon
CUSTOM_BOOTLOGO = scripts/WebOS-Internals.tga

Why does it say the carrier is wr? I don't really care for that answer so much but am I doing the right thing? My overall goal is getting 2.2.4 on a Verizon Pre 2. At the bottom of this is says the custom carrier is verizon.

I'm just making sure. Like i said, this is my first time.
This keeps the Palm Profile from reporting 9.9.9. The update was only released to WR devices so it becomes a tricky scenario. If you have a device reporting 2.2.4 Pre2 on Verizon to the Palm servers, they freak out.

Old 12/17/2011, 11:16 AM   #16 (permalink)

That makes sense. And about the Palm Profile. I read on the webos internals site that updating could screw up your profile. It looked like it only happened when you updated from 1.4.5 to 2. Will i be fine with my profile? I'm running 2.1 now.
Old 12/17/2011, 12:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
webOS Enthusiast

Quote:
That makes sense. And about the Palm Profile. I read on the webos internals site that updating could screw up your profile. It looked like it only happened when you updated from 1.4.5 to 2. Will i be fine with my profile? I'm running 2.1 now.
You should be fine, but there are reports of that script being wacky. Head over to this thread and report your findings to the script author.

How to install webOS 2.1.0 on Pre+ and Pre- using the Meta-Doctor

Old 12/17/2011, 04:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
(snip) . . .

If it's not there, here is a link. If you have to ask how to use it, then don't even bother.
Verizon FrankenPre2 for Sprint (and maybe regular Verizon Pre2):
meta-sprint-franken-verizon-pre2-2.2.4.sh

(snip) . . .

Edit (again): Verizon script failed. This new one works. Use this or one in git.[/B]
So, is the "meta-sprint-franken-verizon-pre2-2.2.4.sh" downloaded from this link (11-17-2011) now maybe working for Verizon Pre2? The "test-verizon-pre2-2.2.4" didn't work so well for me. Also, does this one also wipe the USB?
kayphoonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2011, 08:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
webOS Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
So, is the "meta-sprint-franken-verizon-pre2-2.2.4.sh" downloaded from this link (11-17-2011) now maybe working for Verizon Pre2? The "test-verizon-pre2-2.2.4" didn't work so well for me. Also, does this one also wipe the USB?
There are reports that it wipes the USB partition so its best to back it up just in case. Its worth a shot to try that script. Report back to me on what happens.

Old 12/17/2011, 09:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

Last question before I do it. Will I have to turn off my backup? If I do, will I lose my paid apps? I also have a touchpad on that account. I don't want to have to rebuy all of my apps so what does that actually do when you turn it off regarding purchased apps?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0