1.    #1  
    So finally got a Pre2 on eBay a while ago, and a big thing for me was to see how good of an eBook reader it could be. I started playing around with the HTML versions of eBooks at Project Gutenberg, but the files were a little big. Also, I can't stand their formatting!

So I created a little script that splits the books into chapter files with links at the bottom of each to the next chapter, and added some different formatting. So far, I've got about 30 books reformatted on my web site:

Project Gutenberg: Free eBooks for Smart Phones

I'm also working on a JavaScript app that will make it easy to change the page color, text color, the font size, and to add bookmarks. If anyone wants to try this and let me know what you think, I'd enjoy hearing from you.
    just use preader still works great on my pre- 1.4.5
    check out manybooks.net has books from gutenberg in lots of formats
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the suggestions, and yeah, I'm looking at a lot of stuff. One reason I went with a Pre and webOS was I heard that trying a lot of different things was possible. I thought there might be others around here who would enjoy something a little different.

I like not downloading entire books to my Pre when I all I want or need is the chapter that I happen to be reading.
    Cheers,
    Also check Memoware. Most of the Palm files can be read using pReader.
    Since I also have an eReader (Kobo), I try to stick to the ePub format (which is supported by Gutenberg). I started using pReader on my original Pre and am still using it. Pretty good, however I've found a need (on the Pre) to unzip the ePub and replace the quotation marks, ellipses, and hyphens with ASCII ones or it shows odd symbols.
    Quote Originally Posted by hemisphire View Post
    Since I also have an eReader (Kobo), I try to stick to the ePub format (which is supported by Gutenberg). I started using pReader on my original Pre and am still using it. Pretty good, however I've found a need (on the Pre) to unzip the ePub and replace the quotation marks, ellipses, and hyphens with ASCII ones or it shows odd symbols.
    Oh gawd no, don't do that.

Open a book, open the pReader menu in the upper left and choose "Change Encoding". Dollars to donuts it's one of the first 3 (ASCII, UTF8, or CP1252) will work just fine.

You can set the default encoding pReader will use as well, which can be handy if most of your books are from a specific source. From the library view, open the Preader menu, choose Prefrences, and go to the Text Display portion.